Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my OEM winter tire and wheel package from my dealer in November 2020. After taking the wheels off in the spring to put the all-season ones back on, I noticed extensive corrosion on 3 of 4 wheels where the paint was bubbling and chipping off. took them to the service centre and after 3 months of waiting, they approved my claim and I dropped off the old set last week for them to switch on the new rims. all costs covered under warranty, haven't experienced this issue on my summer rims.

In 2020, I didn't clean my summer wheels prior to storage because the dealer stored them for me. no corrosion issues in the spring when they put the dirty summer wheels back on. winter wheels went into my shed in 2021 spring without cleaning (laziness, lack of time and didn't see any necessity). when the dirty winter wheels were mounted in autumn 2021, I noticed that the salt had caused some discolouration on the Mercedes-Benz emblem, but it washed off when I took the car to the car wash. after cleaning the winter wheels prior to storing in spring 22, I noticed the corrosion and paint damage.

I will continue the habit of cleaning the wheels prior to storage so that issues like this don't occur, but I would expect Mercedes-Benz to use more durable paint on their wheels, especially if they are being sold as winter wheels knowing that they will be more prone to salt and sand damage. perhaps my wheels had some contamination prior to paint being sprayed or there was a poor quality paint used. the paint on my summer wheels that the car came with seems quite robust and hasn't given me any issues.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
That's unfortunate and shouldn't happen. Although precisely the reason I recommend going with a smaller (-1) diameter less expensive steel wheel for a dedicated Winter tire set. However I did use a set of Rial alloys (then made in Germany to Audi spec's) for about 10 years with no issues. I washed even in Winter when non-freezing and also gave them a very thorough cleaning come Spring transition to OE wheels. Salt as we know is especially corrosive.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's unfortunate and shouldn't happen. Although precisely the reason I recommend going with a smaller (-1) diameter less expensive steel wheel for a dedicated Winter tire set. However I did use a set of Rial alloys (then made in Germany to Audi spec's) for about 10 years with no issues. I washed even in Winter when non-freezing and also gave them a very thorough cleaning come Spring transition to OE wheels. Salt as we know is especially corrosive.
I don’t think that 17 inch steelies are befitting of a new Mercedes. what i wish i had done actually was get a set of nice aftermarket wheels and used them on summer tires and used the oem wheels on winter tires. i could care less about the oem wheels tbh and since they are the 5-single spoke design, they would be easier to clean.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Yeah, I similarly didn't think steelies were befitting a new Audi, hence the Rial. ;) I actually used them on three different models over a 10-year span, and then sold them, so a particularly good ROI. :)

I don’t think that 17 inch steelies are befitting of a new Mercedes. what i wish i had done actually was get a set of nice aftermarket wheels and used them on summer tires and used the oem wheels on winter tires. i could care less about the oem wheels tbh and since they are the 5-single spoke design, they would be easier to clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts