Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am new to the forum.

Do we know why the mbusa.com configurator still shows 2015 GLAs? My understanding is that 2016s started production (for the USA) last month (September) and dealers should be getting 2016s in inventory any day now. Is that incorrect?

thank you in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
On a related note, does anyone know for certain if the newly available adjustable damping system is available on the GLA 250 or if it's only available on the GLA45?

I have a GLA 250 on order that hasn't been produced yet and would love to add adjustable damping if it's available.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is from a post at MBWorld.org:

"In the Dealer Ordering guide (sent to me by a dealer) it says "DYNAMIC SELECT in location of E/S/M button". However not sure what this means and neither did the salesman! I hope it's like Dynamic Select in their other vehicles.

Even if it is Dynamic Select, it won't change the feel of suspension in the GLA. It would, if it is dynamic select, change the gearing ratio from comfort to more sporty. Airmatic suspension in the C Class and other classes in the MB stable does alter the suspension."

2016 GLA250 - MBWorld.org Forums

·
Registered
880 Posts
As of right now, the configuration on mbusa.com still shows the 15s. Best way to check is to see the interior and see if it shows the new steering wheel

Prices should be updated any day now since 2016 are starting to come into the US.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is from a post at MBWorld.org:

"In the Dealer Ordering guide (sent to me by a dealer) it says "DYNAMIC SELECT in location of E/S/M button". However not sure what this means and neither did the salesman! I hope it's like Dynamic Select in their other vehicles.

Even if it is Dynamic Select, it won't change the feel of suspension in the GLA. It would, if it is dynamic select, change the gearing ratio from comfort to more sporty. Airmatic suspension in the C Class and other classes in the MB stable does alter the suspension."

2016 GLA250 - MBWorld.org Forums
The 2016 GLA45, dunno about the 250., has adaptive suspension as an option (not Airmatic, just electronically adjustable shocks). So it will be able to firm up the shock settings depending on configuration. OTOH reviewers haven't be able to tell the much difference between the two settings.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Asking dealers what they know and might have could be a good way, even contacting MB directly could work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've had a few cars with adjustable dampers and they held some common attributes, keep in mind all were on go fast cars which probably makes some difference in the tuning compared to what might be done on a performance sedan. None of them were soft even in the comfort (by whatever name) setting. None of them felt particularly different going down a smooth road when switching rates. All of them were much better over expansions joints, potholes, a lot less banging around. All of them made the car quite a bit more forgiving on the road while flogging due to the ability to handle suddenly encountered uneven road surfaces better.

An example would be I regularly go up the same on ramp onto the freeway, you take a somewhat tight corner at the beginning of it which eventually aligns with the freeway and heads uphill along it where you merge into traffic. Right in the middle of that turn in the beginning there is a place where the freeway sections don't align and you drop off one and onto the next. Like anyone else I often enjoy assaulting freeway on ramps when traffic allows and that drop off would get the car to take a sideways hop, a scary hop under power. Done it hundreds of times. Enter adjustable dampers and all of a sudden that hop became a lot less scary and I could pull more Gs around the corner. You run into scenarios like that all the time on the road and I imagine every one here can picture there own versions of it they drive over every day.

So you have two things adjustable dampers give you in my experience. On smooth roads your car wont feel much different but when you get into the rougher stuff you start to see them shine as they do a good job of taming the hits. They also handle road irregularities while flogging much better in any setting and allow you to drive with more confidence.

Over on the M3 forums I once mentioned that I had my M mode set in the softest damping position because it handled rough road surfaces better in that setting and I would then manually turn it up from there if I knew the road was good. I expected to get some (mostly good natured) ribbing for my lack of manly man car set up but it turned out the majority of people that responded did the same thing. Another general thing a person notices on the various forums is that where the option is available people who put a check in that box rarely talk of regretting it. You will see some say they will never own another go fast without it. Some will say that getting it turned what they expected to be their fun car into their daily driver. The response is nearly always enthusiastic with as few "meh, wasn't worth the buy in" people as you are going to see when discussing an options value.

Personally while I cant say I wouldn't own a car without it if the box is there I put a check in it without a second thought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks crabman, your comments are reassuring. My order has the adjustable dampers on it and I've been second guessing my choice. Unfortunately my build isn't until 12/1 because it's green.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can understand why you might be nervous, they don't seem very impressive on a test drive or at least those that I've encountered so far. I first owned adjustable dampers when I ran into a car that was otherwise exactly as I wanted and I was at the time too impatient to wait for an order. That was on a C6 where during my initial test drive I had decided I would skip the mag ride after fiddling with it for a while and could scarcely notice the difference driving down the road. I think I had expected switching between comfort and sport would be akin to switching between overstuffed recliner mode to a full on race mode or something along those lines The reality was quite different as I described above.

That was the reason for my post btw, I think the dampers are one of those options that isn't easy to get a handle on during a test drive. I suspect a lot of people go into it as I did thinking that the comfort mode by whatever name is going to be soft and compliant while the sport mode was then free to be hardcore. That's also why I prefaced my remarks by saying I was talking about fun cars. It may be some of the sedans, coupes, and so on are tuned more like I expected but I've no experience with them. Back at the start of the C6 run I attended a Q&A given by one of the engineers on the design team and when asked why they tune the cars they way they do he said it was because no one wants their sports car to ride like a marshmellow and with the mag ride it doesn't have to, the car can maintain a taut ride on smooth pavement when its unobjectionable and then when road irregularities are encountered instantly soften up to take the hit and just as quickly firm up again.

I obviously can't say I know you will be satisfied with your choice but I am fairly confident that once you get a little time behind the wheel and see what they are about you are going to be happy you got them.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Good point about getting behind the wheel, that is one powerful thing which i've noticed be a primary deciding factor for a large portion of buyers.

Some people though are convinced well before even seeing the vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for your input crabman. This GLA45 will be registered in Florida where the roads are smooth but it will also see duty on the potholed streets of Chicago. I ordered the adjustable dampers in the hope that the softer setting might handle the potholes etc a bit less harshly than the GLA45's firm suspension.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Asking dealers what they know and might have could be a good way, even contacting MB directly could work.

I went to see three local dealers. All three insisted that the 2016 was "the same car" as the 2015... why? Because they have the lot full of 2015s, which are not selling (at least in South Florida)... they pretended they had not been told what the new standard features were on the incoming 2016s. When I told all the new standard features as reported by the press, they moved on to the next customer... very sad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts