Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The slicing and dicing continues, looks like mercedes is about to slot another compact crossover into their lineup between the GLA and GLK, they intended to name it GLC...

the idea is that GLC will be a COUPE version of the GLK...

this forum will not allow me to use the appropriate vocabulary to express my feelings towards this move. SUV coupes, the feck will the industry think of next? convertible pickup trucks, 4 wheeled motorcycles, a switch to sheep power....

Mercedes-Benz Contemplating Adding GLK-Based Coupe to Crossover Lineup

·
Registered
243 Posts
It seems to follow what BMW is doing. This GLC will compete directly with the BMW X6. Remember that Benz is coming out with a whole bunch of new models by 2020, so expect the parade of new models to continue for some time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think all of these inbetween models start to make sense when you look at what they're trying to do, one of them being reaching out world wide, going into more markets and filling the demand

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to follow what BMW is doing. This GLC will compete directly with the BMW X6. Remember that Benz is coming out with a whole bunch of new models by 2020, so expect the parade of new models to continue for some time.

GLC will NOT compete with X6 if its based off the GLA, X4 more like it.

just because BMW is doing it doenst mean its right...

the way i see it is these companies are now producing multiple models to convert one sale.

perfect example is what BMW has done with the 3 and 4 series. If you come in as a buyer in the mid size segment BMW offers you the 3 series, 3 series wagon, 3 series GT, 4 series coupe and 4 series gran coupe. Thats 5 models they need to produce to generate ONE sale.

overhead much?

GM fell off their perch when their lineup became too diced up and saturated, too much overlap ends up cannibalizing itself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Part of the problem that I haven't heard anyone talk about is a dealer's ability to STOCK much of any given model when there are now becoming so MANY models. It's one thing for a Ford dealer to have to stock a bunch of $20K cars verses a Mercedes-Benz dealer to have to stock a bunch of $60K cars. My Ann Arbor, MI dealer has a generally small stock of new cars and the more models that come out mean fewer cars of each line so all the lines can be represented... throw AMG versions in there and it's REALLY a problem!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Part of the problem that I haven't heard anyone talk about is a dealer's ability to STOCK much of any given model when there are now becoming so MANY models. It's one thing for a Ford dealer to have to stock a bunch of $20K cars verses a Mercedes-Benz dealer to have to stock a bunch of $60K cars. My Ann Arbor, MI dealer has a generally small stock of new cars and the more models that come out mean fewer cars of each line so all the lines can be represented... throw AMG versions in there and it's REALLY a problem!
It becomes more of a problem the higher you move in the type of vehicle it is, some people don't get that. At least some dealers are willing to do trades with each other which does speed up the process.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the idea is that GLC will be a COUPE version of the GLK...

this forum will not allow me to use the appropriate vocabulary to express my feelings towards this move. SUV coupes, the feck will the industry think of next? convertible pickup trucks, 4 wheeled motorcycles, a switch to sheep power....
Range Rover is getting pretty close...I heard this Evoque convertible will soon enter production to satiate all who are looking for a style statement.

I agree that you have pointed out a problem with this strategy of never-ending model proliferation. You can get around this though by simply ordering your car ahead of time.

Regardless of dealer stock, I have always ordered my cars and waited. I could not stand the idea of paying for any option that I did not want, or settling in anyway when making such a large purchase with my hard earned money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It becomes more of a problem the higher you move in the type of vehicle it is, some people don't get that. At least some dealers are willing to do trades with each other which does speed up the process.
Well that's my point... Just to stock ONE standard S-Class and ONE AMG S-Class is a quarter million dollars! To add to THAT... you have to pick the color and options for each... which pigeon holes you to those decisions. Those choices may keep those cars on the lot for a while.

The thing is... especially for most of us... are you willing to order and buy your new MB without being able to sit in, and drive the power train you want to buy? I don't have any hope that I'll get to see or drive a GLA 45 ahead of time with the minor exception of my friends at Car and Driver. Dealers don't trade cars with other dealers for test drives.

Makes me really feel sorry for the MB dealers...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that's my point... Just to stock ONE standard S-Class and ONE AMG S-Class is a quarter million dollars! To add to THAT... you have to pick the color and options for each... which pigeon holes you to those decisions. Those choices may keep those cars on the lot for a while.

The thing is... especially for most of us... are you willing to order and buy your new MB without being able to sit in, and drive the power train you want to buy? I don't have any hope that I'll get to see or drive a GLA 45 ahead of time with the minor exception of my friends at Car and Driver. Dealers don't trade cars with other dealers for test drives.

which really scares me when you look at what they're trying to do at the low end of their market. A quarter mil is a good chunk of CLA/GLA's...

I get that their supposed to onboard a new generation of MB buyers, but think about it like sale price. Eventually consumers become conditioned to sale price, why does mercedes feel that because someone is in at $35K they're instantly qualified to jump up to $50K, $60K, $100K....

If anything, the "millennials" they want will have LESS disposable available as they age with the brand. You know, things like children, education and shelter all come before Mercedes Benz, or do they....

·
Registered
295 Posts

Great way to put it.
They can have flagship dealers as the ones to deal with high end models like that but it just makes MB look bad, making the customer work harder to buy something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree that you have pointed out a problem with this strategy of never-ending model proliferation. You can get around this though by simply ordering your car ahead of time.

Regardless of dealer stock, I have always ordered my cars and waited. I could not stand the idea of paying for any option that I did not want, or settling in anyway when making such a large purchase with my hard earned money.
I always like ordering as well... that's unfortunately not my point here. I'm happy to order a lesser car, sight unseen so to speak, but if I'm going to order a $65K GLA 45, I'd KINDA like to drive it first.

As we all know, MB touts, and many people act accordingly, that their vehicles are built for the long haul... based on how they're priced, some/many of us think of them as special vehicles that we may want to save/savor for a long time. I think I'd like to DRIVE that vehicle at least once before I make that commitment. If you've got cash to spare and it's just another vehicle to you, that's awesome, you can order one up and ditch it in a year or two if you don't like it.

When I was in college, the M3 came out... and I went to look at it. Unbelievably (to me at the time) a salesman said... let's go for a ride and tossed me the key. I stopped him RIGHT AWAY and admitted that I was not in a position (or would be anytime soon) to buy a car like this and he just smiled and said let's go anyway. He talked about how I might never know I really wanted a car like this without the experience of it ahead of time. While I haven't bought an M3, he was completely right. Taking that test drive WAS an important experience. It showed me what a car like that is really like. It's important in the buying process to let people see what they're spending their money on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That was a really good salesman. At least that experience left a good impression on you and even though you weren't going to buy it, the good rep could have landed him some sales coming from you bragging about the experience;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
The thing is, if someone likes the look of the X4 because of the roofline and is looking for what Mercedes has as an alternative, they could be precluded from buying a Benz simply because they don't have their version of a small crossover coupe. I do think that there are too many models in some car companies lineups but I also understand why Benz is doing what they are.

Remember that most car companies are promising a big increase in the number of models in their lineups over the next 8 years or so. So the proliferation of models shouldn't really surprise us.

·
Registered
694 Posts
in some cases the expansion of models made sense. like in MB's case, they're expanding into other nations, India being the most recent one. So vehicles like the CLA and GLA can be initially sold their and other nations acting as world vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts