Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to test the Collision Prevention Assistance Plus system? The only way to know it is on is via the OBC not having a collision graphic. I thought the "Assistance Graphic" would show radar distance to an object in front of the car, but it only works if you have Distronic Plus.

I heard that when the sales people are trained they get to drive into a foam wall and the car automatically brakes before it hits.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Any ideas on how to test the Collision Prevention Assistance Plus system? The only way to know it is on is via the OBC not having a collision graphic. I thought the "Assistance Graphic" would show radar distance to an object in front of the car, but it only works if you have Distronic Plus.

I heard that when the sales people are trained they get to drive into a foam wall and the car automatically brakes before it hits.
That's what the lady who did our demo told us as well, driving at some speed into styrofoam. One person chickened out in her group, hit the brake, and ended up crashing into the foam. Everyone else came to a smooth, safe stop.

We have Distronic Plus and more and more I am getting confident in its stopping capability when engaged, right to a full stop. Still kinda fooling with the distance adjustment, however. It's certainly an impressive system. But I believe if you have that then you could do some safe and controlled trials.

That said, I thought what I ordered included the front and rear sensors and put a cardboard box behind the GLA on the second day (we have the rearview camera)...when I didn't hear a beep, I realized what I left off the equipment I wanted...Parktronic (though not for parking, just the sensors), was disappointed at my omission. That would have been a great help in parking a vehicle with lots of blindspots.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got to test mine almost immediately after picking it up as a car puled out in front of me in traffic on the autobahn! It works. I hit the brakes, but the warning alarm went off and the car took over and hit the brakes much harder than I thought I needed to. We came within a foot from hitting the bumper of the guy that cut us off.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I got to test mine almost immediately after picking it up as a car puled out in front of me in traffic on the autobahn! It works. I hit the brakes, but the warning alarm went off and the car took over and hit the brakes much harder than I thought I needed to. We came within a foot from hitting the bumper of the guy that cut us off.
Best example or explanation of how it works I've heard. Thank you!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Greatly explained and the good thing about the system is in a way it can train you to brake better without the tech, just like in your case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
OK, great. My wife occasionally hears a BEEP but just a quick one and only a very quick flash on the dash warning (I think). Probably the CPA

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, that's the first warning going off. Usually it's a little early and it's typically just someone turning off in front of you so nothing else happens. If it's a real collision that's imminent and needs avoiding that BEEP will go BEEEEEEP and the brakes will come on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's mostly gone, but my wife still complains that it occasionally starts "funny". I've not seen it, so I really don't know what to do about it. For now we are just assuming it is not a problem unless it becomes a more regular issue.

If it again rears its ugly head, I'll update the forum.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an FYI - the "prevention" system is a warning system only as standard. That is if the car feels you will hit something because of a change of what's in front of you it will beep and a red icon will light in speedo circle area. If you have the distronic cruise control package - then it is an active avoidance system. The car will fully brake on your behalf if it senses you aren't doing so. Don't fall into a false sense of security if you didn't buy the tech package! (at least for 2015 MY)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just an FYI - the "prevention" system is a warning system only as standard. That is if the car feels you will hit something because of a change of what's in front of you it will beep and a red icon will light in speedo circle area. If you have the distronic cruise control package - then it is an active avoidance system. The car will fully brake on your behalf if it senses you aren't doing so. Don't fall into a false sense of security if you didn't buy the tech package! (at least for 2015 MY)
What country are you in?

In the USA COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS with autonomous braking is standard equipment on the GLA.
Here's what the MBUSA website states:
"Standard safety innovations include radar-based COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS with autonomous braking, and ATTENTION ASSIST® to help sense a drowsy driver. Available Blind Spot and Lane Keeping Assists help make highway driving easier and safer. And optional DISTRONIC PLUS® cruise control automatically adapts to the flow of traffic."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Collison Asst Plus

I just bought a 2015 GLA Sedan, I was told that front Collison Astt Plus was included on my vehicle, this will beep and brake up to certain speeds. I believe the other extra Distronic Plus is for higher speeds, etc., IS THIS CORRECT ANYONE?? I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I stand corrected - I guess I speed read through that part in the manual and looking at it again it is different for both packages but does stop for those without the radar cruise...

5-31mph for stationary objects and 5-65 for moving objects (WITHOUT technology package)

When you have the adaptive cruise it jumps up to 124mph max. Thanks WhiteRabbit - learned something new.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Collision Prevention kicked in today during morning commute. I was switching lanes, and the van in front of me broke hard. I was already halfway into the other lane, but I heard the beeps, and the car applied the brakes for me. My foot was on the gas, so I was a bit startled when it happened (it broke pretty hard). I was probably already far enough into the next lane to come away unscathed even without the CPA, but it's nice to know that it works and could save me from an actual accident, or at least make one a lot less severe.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
My salesman said if you are taking action to avoid an accident the CPA stopping working. This is why in the OP he said the person failed in the demo. This also happen when he attended the MB demo for salespeople. He said he closed his eyes and the car stopped on it;s own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.