Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get resolution of the problem?
kimR,
Sorry for the late reply.

No, I have not resolve this issue. But by the looks of it, it is going to be costly if it's fixed out of warranty. I just read BLUE1958 comment above and it just blew my mind. I may just live with the noise or sell it back to the dealership in exchange for another brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I've had my GLA 250 4Matic for a little less than a month now, and i've noticed a very subtle "clunk" noise coming from what feels like the rear of the vehicle while slowing down and coming to a complete stop. Typically it seems like it only does this the first few complete stops that I make in the car......like in the mornings when I pull out of my garage and am driving through the city to get to the interstate, when I approach red lights while slowing down, immediately before I come to a complete stop, it almost feels as if someone slightly tapped my rear fender (I thought someone did the first time I noticed it!)

Not quite sure what the issue could be and if it is related to the brakes/suspension or transmission? I have never experienced the violent jerks other GLA owners have had problems with while shifting into different gears, and I only seem to experience the subtle clunk while in drive (eco/manual/sports doesn't seem to make any difference). I can't imagine it is tranny related because it does not match up with the 2>1 downshift and I am only applying brakes, not gas.

After about 15 minutes, the clunk seems to go away. Has anybody else experienced this? I've done some research online and the issue seems to be well documented for various types of cars, but the diagnosis is always related to worn parts or after a new brake job, etc. My GLA has 5k miles on it.
This is because the car has a dual clutch gearbox which is known as a transverse gearbox which switches from two wheel drive to four-wheel-drive so it’s just the characteristics of the car with it engaging the diff from two wheel drive to four-wheel-drive it’s normal in a lot of AMG 45 or 63 is or even any of the 4 matic hopefully this is useful information as I had so many garages look at my GL a 45 and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it it is just the characteristics of the car even on YouTube there are car viewers that say the same thing but you have to get used to it

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
DCTs are performance gear boxes. A lot of software has been developed to make them drive gently, mimicking a torque convertor automatic. But at the end of the day you have a computer attempting to feather a clutch pedal.

These transmissions perform best when they are driven aggressively. Otherwise they will buck and stutter a bit from time to time. It's just their nature, especially when downshifting a you coast to a stop. Brake / stop more aggressively and the problem diminishes and generally completely goes away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DCTs are performance gear boxes. A lot of software has been developed to make them drive gently, mimicking a torque convertor automatic. But at the end of the day you have a computer attempting to feather a clutch pedal.

These transmissions perform best when they are driven aggressively. Otherwise they will buck and stutter a bit from time to time. It's just their nature, especially when downshifting a you coast to a stop. Brake / stop more aggressively and the problem diminishes and generally completely goes away.
You absolutely correct and bang on the nail I’ve noticed that too unfortunately when people don’t know what they’re are buying and they notice the characteristics of the car they Automatically think that there is something wrong with the car which is natural for someone to think that But then start panicking in the car sorts of garages spending lots of money for them not to be able to find anything wrong with it That’s why if someone is going to purchase one while it’s stationary and running put it into reverse and drive and if there is a clunk noise then I wouldn’t be purchasing that one because it could be a gearbox problem i’m no expert but I just did a bit of research after I bought mine when I thought I had a problem with it but I’ve spoken to other people with GLA 45 or Mercedes 4Matic and these do the same thing so it all put my mind at rest 👍👍

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
The dual-clutch prepares the next for the next gear based on how you are driving. If speeding up, it prepares the next upshift gear to be ready to engage, or if slowing down, it will prepare the next downshift to engage. If you are slowing down and the clutch is getting ready for the downshift and you change and hit the pedal to speed up, you can get a rough shift, and what goes with an unplanned change shift of gears.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts