Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
How would you compare the tread life on the PS4 or PS4S compared to non performance tyres? Is it much worse or still very reasonable if you don't destroy them with regular track days?

I had another chat with a local tyres workshop today and my enthusiasm to replace my RFTs with Michelins has taken a bit of a hit:
  • First, they don't recommend getting rid of RFTs, even when I call out that I'm willing to accept the minimal risk (and I have roadside assistance) in order to get a more comfortable and performant tyre on a daily basis. And I checked with my insurance, they don't have a problem with me replacing RFTs with non RFTs.
  • Then, he would not recommend using even a slight size tyre difference (like 245/40/19 instead of 235/45/19) because it could create issues with the car handling and internal system alerts.
  • Finally, as much as he's acknowledging the Michelins are the best tyres he's saying the tread life would be much lower than a non performance "harder" tyre.

I'm still decided to get either the PS4 or PS4S, but I didn't accept it to be such a tough decision haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
I'm getting the same or better mileage on my PS4S as I did on the OEM Contis. I figure 20K miles out a bit better.

On my Porsche I was getting 25K on the rears and 40K on the fronts with MPSS and I dropped about 10% with the MPS4S.

The big things were how much smoother the car was over freeway expansion joints, and quieter, and more predictable.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts