Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am still liking the Michelin's a lot. We've had some winter here recently, and the FWD GLA handles very well; I think the tires have a bit to do with it. I do carry the Slime kit that I bought for my BMW when I switched to non-RF. Has anyone actually used the Slime? If so, were the TPS units ok after?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am still liking the Michelin's a lot. We've had some winter here recently, and the FWD GLA handles very well; I think the tires have a bit to do with it. I do carry the Slime kit that I bought for my BMW when I switched to non-RF. Has anyone actually used the Slime? If so, were the TPS units ok after?

I am told that the TPS would have to be replaced.

I also have this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-T-Handle-Tire-Tackle/45791097

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've worked on TPMS sensors that had fix-a-flat run through them. If I remember right, all I had to do was replace the valve (a commodity part shared with non-sensor stems) and run water through the haft to clear the sludge out. However, I don't have too much faith in those systems, just simply due to the number of tires I've worked on that were chock-full of the stuff. Personally, I'd just gingerly roll it to a safe area and then call a tow.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've worked on TPMS sensors that had fix-a-flat run through them. If I remember right, all I had to do was replace the valve (a commodity part shared with non-sensor stems) and run water through the haft to clear the sludge out. However, I don't have too much faith in those systems, just simply due to the number of tires I've worked on that were chock-full of the stuff. Personally, I'd just gingerly roll it to a safe area and then call a tow.
I would agree with that. On my BMW I got a nail and when the TPS warning came on, I pulled over, and put some air in, and got to the service station for a plug. If you can make it without the Slime, that's probably the best. Worst case scenario is being in the boonies and having a catastrophic blowout. Now you'e looking for a flatbed and a motel.

Reactions: TheThirdPhase

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also while I'm on the topic - it is definitively possible to roll vehicles at very slow speeds on the rim. If you have what Fbs posted, a catastrophic blowout in the boonies, *gingerly* roll to a safe spot. I had to roll a brand new E-class through my shop (two blowouts from the same pothole) and the rim was utterly undamaged by it. Get yourself safe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi everyone, and thanks for all the great replies! I am the OP, and finally looking at actually replacing the run flats with non-run flats. Based on the replies I've read, it's a good decision. I don't do too much boonie driving, and road trips are almost always on the interstates, so I don't expect to be stranded too long if I get a flat.

So now I'm looking at tire options, and would like some suggestions. Right now I'm looking at: (in no particular order) Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S, BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.

Opinions?

·
Registered
608 Posts
As I mentioned when I made the switch, I got the Michelin's. The difference was quite stunning. Much quieter, much better traction, nicer ride, major improvement in handling. The car is much more fun to drive. They were on sale at the Tire Rack, about $175 each. When I said boonies in my previous post, I was thinking also about boonie parts of NY State on the NYS Thruway. At least in the case of my car, and I haven't looked recently, there were only four available models of the MB run-flat tire. Having a catastrophic blow out on the stretch of Thruway between Syracuse and Buffalo, on a late Saturday afternoon, might mean you would have to be flat bedded somewhere not much fun, and wait until Monday to find a replacement, and you would probably have to get two, unless your tires were pretty new. I would totally resent paying $500 or more for two cheesy tires that are noisy, don't handle well, and might only last 18,000 miles. It is possible that you could get the Michelin at a Costco or BJ's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone care to give a recommendation on Summer tires? I have a 4matic model with the offroad package, I do like the extra clearance but I want a bit sportier and NON run flat tyre, these RFs are too uncomfortable...
Would 245/40s be a problem considering OEM is 235/45? both R19 btw. I know the height will drop by too little, but IDK if the extra width will make it rub

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hello again.... yes, NOW, finally, my tires have hit the wear bars. I will be switching to NRF tires. I'm liking the michelin or BFG. any more recent thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Love my Michelin MP4S. Put them on my Porsche first and loved them enough to proactively install them on Pam's 45.

You can buy cheaper, but tires are your final contact patch to the road.

·
Super Moderator
710 Posts
I vote Michelin as well. I've never been disappointed with them, which I can't say for any others.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
OK, so I procrastinate..... but now I REALLY mean it, I'm getting new tires. I decided on BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S, but do have a question: does anyone know if any warranty issues would result from switching from RF to NRF tires with MBZ? For the record, the warranty has already run out!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Finally FINALLY I got new tires! BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S. So far I've only driven them a mile or so but they are definitely smoother and quieter. But they inflated them to 44psi, which I assume is for RF tires, and I think these should be even better at 35psi. Anyone know what's best?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks Wayne. I'm sticking with 44psi for now. So far all the searches I've performed everywhere says to use the pressure the MFR recommends, which is 44/44. It seems high to me, and a lifetime of dealing with tires on all kinds of vehicles makes me think 35-39psi would be a better option. I will especially watch wear on the center with pressure so high.

BTW, I want to further describe the feel difference I notice on these tires vs stock RF. Obviously, these are different tires from a different MFR, and they are NRF, but I've seen others post that they just find RF to have a firm "sports car" feel and since they are "used to" sports car feel, I disagree. I have owned several sports cars, driven many others, and know what a tight, firm suspension feels like. Before it felt like my tires were bumping along on the high points of the road surface. With these new NRF's, it feels like the tires are part of the suspension system not attached to it. It feels like the tires follow and grip the surface whether on a high point or low, and it actually feels like they provides better, more usable feedback. Any noticeably quieter, too!

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Run flats are a major compromise. The only excuse for them is to avoid carrying a spare. Even there they are not 100%.

When Firestone had major issues with the first steel belted radials (look up Firestone 500) the recommendation was full pressure to minimize sidewall flex and reduce heat. Note: This problem was shared by all tire manufacturers.

Auto manufacturers recommended lower pressures for a more comfortable ride!!!

Regardless of manufacturer's suggestion, 44 psi is too high. It's easy enough to adjust the pressure. Drop it down and I'll bet you experience a very different car.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts