Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
On a GLA 250 4Matic with light load (2/3 people little cargo) I found that 34PSI (cold 68F) Front anf Rear provides great handling. Once warm, the fronts will be a couple of PSI higher than the rears and that is normal and due to the weight distribution.

For the same tire size, runflats or not, the tire pressure should be the same.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re runflats... I drive other cars with high performance Summer non-runflat tires and I think that the factory fitment - Continental ProContact TX SSR runflat - is an excellent tire. I do not understand those who consider it harsh/loud; I guess they never experienced true harsh/loud tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
RFT's are way too harsh !!! ... the so called "soft" MB's MO Extended Mobility is still very harsh. You will be pleasantly surprised when you switch to non-RFT's how good riding your GLA's suspension really is. I pleasantly found this out when I dumped my BMW's e93 RFT's and installed non-RFT's. In my 2017 GLA 250 SUV, the oem tires are Bridgestone Dueller 235/50 R18 97H speed, which is a run of mill ordinary tire size, there are actually at least 90 available tires. for this size. The top brand in my case is Michelin Primacy MXM4

·
Registered
236 Posts
PS: I am definitely going to dump the MOExtended Mobility tires and install non-RFT's. Towards that goal I equipped my GLA with the TireFit mobility kit, i.e. an electric pump with sealant ... sourced from MB UK... and it fits perfectly in the trunk even with the up graded Harman Kardon sub woofer unit !!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
thats where it normally goes with the 45s. I also keep a 6x8 plastic tarp (folded), just in case i need to haul something dirty

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
RFT's are way too harsh !!! ... the so called "soft" MB's MO Extended Mobility is still very harsh. You will be pleasantly surprised when you switch to non-RFT's how good riding your GLA's suspension really is.

My 2015 GLA250 4Matic came with 19" Goodyear Eagle MO RF tires. Last year I picked up a set of four non-RFT 19" Continental Pro Contact tires mounted on MB rims from a member of this group. I decided to switch out Goodyear RFTs for the Continentals as my winter tires last November. (Mostly a waste of time since we hardly had any snow and only one ice storm in Indiana this winter.)

After driving the non-RFT Continentals for four months, I frankly don't notice a significant difference in ride quality or road noise compared to the Goodyear RFTs. The Continentals did have superior grip in the ice storm.

Do you think the change to non-RFT is more noticeable because you're equipped with 18" tires instead of my 19"?

·
Registered
80 Posts
PS: I am definitely going to dump the MOExtended Mobility tires and install non-RFT's. Towards that goal I equipped my GLA with the TireFit mobility kit, i.e. an electric pump with sealant ... sourced from MB UK... and it fits perfectly in the trunk even with the up graded Harman Kardon sub woofer unit !!!
Hey Hook,

How did you purchase this kit? Were you able to buy it online/eBay or did you have to reach out to a MB UK dealership directly?

·
Registered
190 Posts
RFT's are way too harsh !!! ... the so called "soft" MB's MO Extended Mobility is still very harsh. You will be pleasantly surprised when you switch to non-RFT's how good riding your GLA's suspension really is. I pleasantly found this out when I dumped my BMW's e93 RFT's and installed non-RFT's. In my 2017 GLA 250 SUV, the oem tires are Bridgestone Dueller 235/50 R18 97H speed, which is a run of mill ordinary tire size, there are actually at least 90 available tires. for this size. The top brand in my case is Michelin Primacy MXM4
We have to disagree as there is nothing harsh on the factory Contis in my car; perhaps yours are defective or over-inflated. But... if I go summer std tires it would be Michelin Latitude Tour HP (the right choice) or Super Sports (the all-out performance choice).

·
Registered
608 Posts
I bought a kit called Slime Smart Spair for my BMW when I changed to non-runflats. It contains a can of Slime sealer and an electric tire inflator. At the time a similar kit from BMW was over $100. I paid around $25 for this kit. I did some research at the time (2011) and found that Slime was one of the products that got pretty good reviews, and one of the factors cited for giving the good review in most cases was that it didn't interfere with tire pressure sensors. Most users felt the pump was very slow, which wasn't a bother, because I already had an inflator that is pretty good. I am completely satisfied with my Slime Spair kit; I haven't had a flat since I got it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We have to disagree as there is nothing harsh on the factory Contis in my car; perhaps yours are defective or over-inflated. But... if I go summer std tires it would be Michelin Latitude Tour HP (the right choice) or Super Sports (the all-out performance choice).
... well that is your opinion ... I found the hard way when I switched to non-RFT's on my 2009 BMW e93 series 328i. My GLA tires are not defective nor are they over-inflated. They are inflated to 33 psig cold front and 28 psig cold rear. I deflated 1 psig in the rear to lessen the harshness. My tires are inflated with Nitrogen as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Hook,

How did you purchase this kit? Were you able to buy it online/eBay or did you have to reach out to a MB UK dealership directly?
Sorry, I really don't know how you can get the TyreFit kit in Australia. I took a risk and got mine discounted at much lower price from a eBay retailer instead, also from UK.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am going to change from run flats to non run flats. I got an offer from the local MB dealer on Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons-$172 per tire, mounted and balanced. They are less expensive at Tire Rack, but when you add delivery and mounting/balancing, the Tire Rack price is more. Anybody have experience with Pirelli P Zero Nero?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I did get non-runflats-the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. Major difference in ride, noise, handling. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that tire pressures would be the same as the run flats. Is there agreement on that concept?

Reactions: 23481

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have gla 250 4matic, 18 inch wheels, runflat tires and a very harsh ride, could it be possible to downgrade to 17 inches and normal tires to have more rubber/air cushion ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd look at what the recommended pressures are for a GLA45 and use them if opting for an UHP tire like the Sport 3+ or the Conti DWS06. You may find that something like a premium All Season touring tire works well on the 250 (front or AWD). Many will not like the noise the UHP tires make. BTW, the Pirelli is a good tire but my sense is the Michelin and the Conti may be better. Price installed is very good IMHO.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have gla 250 4matic, 18 inch wheels, runflat tires and a very harsh ride, could it be possible to downgrade to 17 inches and normal tires to have more rubber/air cushion ?

I am on 18s, I had the dealer replace the run flats (going bald) when I bought it. They included a fix-a-flat inflator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just switching to DWS06 from the stock Conti 5Ps (not run-flat) on the GLA45 AMG was a major difference in noise and comfort on the positive side. No comparison. I'm using the same tire pressures as the OEMs (39F/38R).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got rid of stock Goodyear efficient grip run flat 235/45/19 and got MICHELIN Pilot sport 4. The difference is huge! Like driving a different car. Much better ride quality, no damps, less rattles, better handling and no road noise! I am looking now for a tire fit kit. Do you know the price of the original?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Reactions: firstdown80
21 - 40 of 76 Posts