Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Girls!

I'm in the UK (Devon in the SW) and thinking of changing from a 2015 220 to a later 45 and I was wondering if someone could tell me what to look out for and what the difference in running costs might be?

Thanks in advance,

Cookee

·
Registered
90 Posts
The trans DSG service is 2x as frequent, first at 30k miles here for A45.

The A45 my dealership has for sale is beat. A 2015 w/50k for $30k no thanks. My 2017 GLA 250 with 31k still under warranty was $19k, owned by a lady doctor.

A high performance entry AMG model will suffer more wear and tear. It's NOT like going from a E350 to a E550, where the better car might actually see LESS wear and tear from an affluent owner.

Best advice is to buy a clean car, from a good source. OR just keep what you have. We swore not to buy the same (body) model or car more than once again. When we did it in the past, it seemed like a good idea at first, but then got old and boring fast....much more than if we got a totally different car.

Just wait until you see something you really want, and when you actually need a new car. Most A45 owners complain about their payments or are upside down with the value. Is your current car paid off? If not, wait until it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks for that, no credit involved and will be paying cash for the upgrade, I want to change my 2015 53,000 mile 220 before it gets too old or too many miles. I like the small SUV format (I have a dog and play golf) and I still think the GLA is the best value in its range so I'm staying with one of those and I want to step it up a bit hence the GLA 45, I'll be going for a 2017 with much lower mileage so I think that covers all of your concerns? Got offered a red one yesterday - no thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys and Girls!

I'm in the UK (Devon in the SW) and thinking of changing from a 2015 220 to a later 45 and I was wondering if someone could tell me what to look out for and what the difference in running costs might be?

Thanks in advance,

Cookee
Over the years I’ve found a failsafe way to decide whether to change to a new car or not, which I’m happy to share.

I created a complex spreadsheet with various sections detailing elements on affordability, running costs, insurance, comfort, practicality, maintenance, servicing, etc, etc, which once completed gave a YES or NO answer.

At the bottom of these sections I put a box that said “I really, really want one” and I found that if this box was ticked the answer always came out as YES. So much so that on the last couple of times I haven’t bothered with the top part of the spreadsheet and just gone to the “I really, really want one” box, then changed the car. It worked for me..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think darker colors work better to diminish the scallop down the sides.
I agree, I’m considering a black night edition, I have a bright blue night edition premium 220 currently and it looks like my son is having it so I’m doing him a deal!

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
LOL (sic) Although I appreciate creating such decision making tools, "I really, really, want one" always trumps all without bothering with same. 😆

I literally sleep on these types of decisions and more often than not the fever passes. But if the passion is still there for a week or so I take the plunge. ;)

Over the years I’ve found a failsafe way to decide whether to change to a new car or not, which I’m happy to share.

I created a complex spreadsheet with various sections detailing elements on affordability, running costs, insurance, comfort, practicality, maintenance, servicing, etc, etc, which once completed gave a YES or NO answer.

At the bottom of these sections I put a box that said “I really, really want one” and I found that if this box was ticked the answer always came out as YES. So much so that on the last couple of times I haven’t bothered with the top part of the spreadsheet and just gone to the “I really, really want one” box, then changed the car. It worked for me..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Buying a vehicle, especially new, needs serious consideration. The spreadsheet and "do I want it" doesn't cut it for me.

I went straight for the GLA45 since I had a plan. It was simple, I did research online for roughly 2-3 yrs. once the CLA45 came out. My thing was, if they only made a hot hatch, useable version of this AWD car, and they did. I watched competitors, and knew when the GLA arrived I would NOT buy new, but rather wait for them to come off lease. End story is I bought mine may of 2018 with 18k and perfect condition, still under warranty for $36k, money saved up to buy it "mostly" cash (I had a loan that was paid off in 16 months).

Even though it's the cheapest AMG, High Performance is not cheap. The brakes don't last as long and are likely 2.5x's as expensive to replace. If you get out of warranty you can expect to pay a lot for tranny, turbo etc. if you have a problem. I bought an OEM MB complete brake service parts kit including front/rear rotors, pads, hardware and front sensor for just under $800, big savings since dealer this is roughly $1150 in parts. Still, if I have dealer install the OEM parts, I still will pay labor and will need fluid flush/fill so probably 1200 vs. if I bought everything from them, 1600.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, pulled the pin on a main dealer 2018 in red with a sun roof, no race mode or exhaust button but it sounds amazing! Photos to follow if anyone is interested! 2 years Merc warranty helped me choose!

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Congrats. You'll love it. Race start was part of the performance package. My guess is you won't miss it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats. You'll love it. Race start was part of the performance package. My guess is you won't miss it.
I think you're right - also the switchable exhaust - it's loud enough to let people know it's not a regular car anyway!

Here it is! Didn't really want a red car but it's the one I ended up with!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts