Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered somewhere, so apologies if I missed it. Has anyone tried out these new ceramic sprays for a quick detail or the ceramic wash/waxes that are out there on their GLA? Looking at the Mothers and Meguiar's offerings.

·
622 Posts
I have used the Mothers CMX on another car as a test. I am happy with the results. The car does not seem to collect dirty as much and stay cleaner looking longer. Very easy to apply and wipe off. I would suggest you clay bar the car before using so you have a very clean surface to apply the ceramic coating.

Reactions: dougleavy

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
I used CeramicShield on my Porsche 997 with good results. It's been on for over a year now and is holding up although that may be because I apply F11 detail spray after each wash.

I opted to stay with Black Fire products (polish, seal, wax) on the 45 when I recently paint corrected that car. I'm using Wolfgang Spritz as a detail spray there. I'll find out how good that really is once the San Francisco Bay Area air clears up and I wash the ash off ... The black car is now white. I'm tempted to simply take a night time high speed cruise to see if the ash will blow off!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
San Francisco Bay Area air clears up and I wash the ash off ... The black car is now white. I'm tempted to simply take a night time high speed cruise to see if the ash will blow off!!!
I didn't think much about the ash but i just read how it can harm the paint "The dangerous chemicals in ash are calcium and potassium, and though they’re harmless when dry, they can have a corrosive chemical reaction when wet, damaging your car’s expensive finish." uh oh

·
622 Posts
I used CeramicShield on my Porsche 997 with good results. It's been on for over a year now and is holding up although that may be because I apply F11 detail spray after each wash.

I opted to stay with Black Fire products (polish, seal, wax) on the 45 when I recently paint corrected that car. I'm using Wolfgang Spritz as a detail spray there. I'll find out how good that really is once the San Francisco Bay Area air clears up and I wash the ash off ... The black car is now white. I'm tempted to simply take a night time high speed cruise to see if the ash will blow off!!!
How about a California Duster to remove the ash. In the spring here is SC our cars turn yellow from the pollen from pine trees, and CA duster works great. Maybe use a leaf blower and blow it off.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
I've used a Cali Duster for many years in our also June heavy pollen season.

I also use a Makita 18V leaf blower for light dusting and for post-wash water drying.

I used to use clay bar but now Griot's synthetic pad, with similar very good results (cover hand with plastic wrap and run across pre- and post clay as a test).

As any quality job it's 90% preparation. The actual Ceramic application is the easy last 10% part. ;)

My Audi gets Zaino top to bottom but the GLA is my detailing testbed (note not to mix ol' school Carnauba-based wax with synthetic unless first removing all wax with Dawn detergent or similar). :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
The ash here is sticky. Picture pine pitch mixed with abrasive dust. It doesn't matter what finish you have. It adheres. And as mentioned, it is corrosive. The ash won't simply blow off, even with compressed air. But as the ash continues to fall there's not much to be done.

Our animals came in with stuck together grimy fur ... We've been keeping them inside accordingly. Unfortunately the garage won't fit two cars.

I use my pressure washer at a distance and at an angle to lift and sweep away the dirt while supplying lubrication to the surface. Then a gentle hand wash with a good lubricating car soap. Then rinse and a California Squeezy to remove most of the water. That way a single waffle towel can finish it off. But as you can imagine, the was will take abuse.

We finally have some clear air after over a week without. Washing is on today's schedule. I'm glad the wax was fresh. I may have to proactively wax again soon. Our fire season used to be part of October and November. It's now from August into January. Hopefully we've seen the worst of it this year but most likely not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My go-to is Adam's (in the USA). I'll leave a link to their website below. Go there, they have a ton of information and all their products are premium. I really appreciate the information available though, since I'm no expert at all in that subject matter. It's info overload. They have everything, for every need. One-stop shop.

Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care & Detailing Products

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use this now, it's not ceramic, it's a polymer coat that is super easy to apply and has amazing results, especially a black paint:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts