Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove the cat? It is fairly easy to disconnect from the turbo and at the bottom end. Also, removing the O2 sensers is easy. Had to remove air filter box to get to lower sensor. But, i did not see a way to fish the cat out through the top or bottom. Do you have to remove the turbo? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding my original post, yes, I am trying to remove stock cat and replace with high flow cat. There is not enough room to get the old one out, so I'm thinking the turbo has to come off?

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you are talking about the downpipe coming off the turbo on a 2019 and earlier 45, you do not need to remove the turbo to get it out, but yes it is a royal pain in the butt.

you need an old shipping box to protect your radiator.

After much hemming and hawing, I found it easier to pull it out from the top rather than the bottom, but indeed it comes out like a tetris puzzle. Each 2-3 inches of removal and you have to rotate it or angle it a new way. At one point it is wedged good in there, and having the cardboard prevents dinging your radiator.

It's either AMS or Weistec that makes a very good instruction set for removal, but it does not give you a step-by-step for each angle and rotation. But it does give the proper outline.

good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are talking about the downpipe coming off the turbo on a 2019 and earlier 45, you do not need to remove the turbo to get it out, but yes it is a royal pain in the butt.

you need an old shipping box to protect your radiator.

After much hemming and hawing, I found it easier to pull it out from the top rather than the bottom, but indeed it comes out like a tetris puzzle. Each 2-3 inches of removal and you have to rotate it or angle it a new way. At one point it is wedged good in there, and having the cardboard prevents dinging your radiator.

It's either AMS or Weistec that makes a very good instruction set for removal, but it does not give you a step-by-step for each angle and rotation. But it does give the proper outline.

good luck.
Thanks. That is most helpful!

·
Registered
623 Posts
My only other advice is "don't give up" because you are going to get all the stuff out of there, the wiring harnesses, the fan, battery and air box, with the corrugated cardboard in place and you are still going to say "no way. There is no way this thing is coming out."

I can't say having the car up on stands so I can fiddle with it from the bottom also was helpful, but it sure felt helpful at the time.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
there is a hook point, adding a hoist would allow stretching the mounts, might get a 1/4 inch. sounds like every millimeter helps.

getting any aftermarket back in has got to be a cakewalk.

I have a RSE on the shelf, has the external insulation option, very pretty, so, subbed for the post warranty mod fest

1 - 10 of 10 Posts