Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The OEM rack by Mercedes is made by Thule. My dealership matched a dealers eBay price of 275.00. Your not gonna find a better rack for that price. The Thule rack in your link only is for the feet not the cross members.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think It sits high. I'll take some pics tomorrow to post. I have a Thule snowboard rack attached to it and will have a kayak rack in the summer. I like the bars ending at the feet I think it gives it a cleaner appearance but it all depends on what you like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The second link with the rack to the back of the GLA, how much does something like that cost? I prefer the back rack rather than on the roof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's a picture of my gla with oem crossbars so you'll a have a point of comparison.

don't pay attention to the 3 idiots(brother, wife and me messing around).

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just installed Thule Aerobars. This style allows the bars to be several inches wider so I can fit 3 bikes on top easily.
Then I added the Saris Bones 3-bike carrier to the hatch. Six bikes, no waiting.

I teach a couple of mountain biking classes at Miami University in SW Ohio, so this capacity is very helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice setup bikerbob. Does this setup whistle when you get up to a certain speed? I find with the Thule bicycle racks setup, whistling starts around the 70km/h mark.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I find with the Thule bicycle racks setup, whistling starts around the 70km/h mark.
Is that with the bike rack installed or just the bars ? As i would typically only put the rack on when actually transporting the bike so hopefully it's quieter with just the bars.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
My OEM bars are noisy by themselves. I leave them off unless I need to haul something up there. Install is pretty quick and has to get better MPG without them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is that with the bike rack installed or just the bars ? As i would typically only put the rack on when actually transporting the bike so hopefully it's quieter with just the bars.
The whistling gets louder with the bike racks on. The racks contribute to the noise as well. According to Thule, the further forward the cross bars are installed, the greater the whistle. If you don't have the panoramic glass roof, this should not be a problem as the insulation is better. I am considering removing them and only install them when I need them which is usually on the weekends.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Took delivery last night of a GLA45 as a cross between my Porsche and XV Crosstrek -- I really love this machine so far, but have run across an unexpected problem.

I wanted to have a hitch like the Subie and found I could get a Curt hitch that would fit the GLA250 for my bike rack and maybe the occasional light towing. I guess in my excitement I missed the fact that this hitch isn't exactly recommended for the GLA45. I found this forum and related discussion, and wondering if anyone here has taken the plunge a put a hitch on the GLA45 anyway?

I'm cross-posting this question on a related thread on this forum, sorry if this is redundant. but I'm seriously considering going back to exchange for the GLA250 and need to do that today. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts