Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shocked. I honestly was a bit skeptical how much a difference a piggyback ECU would truly make, but I can definitely feel the torque now. This is how it should have come from the factory.

I do have extra mods that others do not have, like the HG Motorsports intake, engine mount upgrade, muffler delete, etc. so my results may differ... However, my GLA250 is a LOT more fun now! >:D I would now believe the dyno numbers Carlssön has shown on youtube. Definitely making over 300ft/lbs torque now.

I also want to let you know, that I will be doing a catless downpipe with a new tune eventually, so I won't feel bad about the possibility of selling this to another forum member someday, it really does WORK!

Reactions: hungasaurus

·
Registered
81 Posts
When you have the chance, could you please detail the installation?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you have the chance, could you please detail the installation?

Thanks!
Simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xSJOaWkyg4

You'll love how easy this is! Literally takes 5 minutes or less. I felt stupid after waiting so long to install before I really looked at it.

I'm assuming most of the piggybacks out there(like the VR Tuner and others) aren't a whole lot different in terms of power, but for the ease of install and removal, it was worth the price. Especially with warranty coverage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't see the price on the Carlsson website? How much did you pay for it with shipping?
Did you by any chance ask them to clarify the statement on using RON98 gas?
Also, are you sure the warranty works in the US?
Lastly, how's the gas mileage with the module?
Sorry for a bunch of questions, just really interested in this mod. :)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One caveat to expound upon with the C-Tronic. If you really want to notice the difference in power, get your GLA fully-warmed up before installing (at your own risk of heat/burns under-hood) because the C-Tronic is designed to follow the Benz' ECU protect-mode while the car is cold, so all the new power will not be felt right away. (Shouldn't beat on a cold turbo motor anyways) I installed mine after a quick road trip, so once I got back in the car, there was plenty of... WTF? LOL! It truly feels like a different CUV now.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa! $1800? I guess I'm used to BMW piggyback tunes in the neighborhood of $400-$500. Gotta ask with all the mods why not the AMG instead?
http://www.glaowners.com/forum/mercedes-benz-gla-general-discussion/4994-those-considering-gla250-instead-gla45.html

·
Registered
84 Posts
http://www.glaowners.com/forum/mercedes-benz-gla-general-discussion/4994-those-considering-gla250-instead-gla45.html
Oh trust me - I did a lot of comparison between the two and ground clearance was paramount. (Although I sure do love that wing)

I'm just still surprised at the cost of a piggyback upgrade is all.

Just yesterday I was letting a friend drive and he commented on how much "butt dyno" torque it had. His second comment was "when are you getting an intake, it sounds like it's choking at full throttle..."

Time to look at intakes, I guess. Hope they're not $1,800 :)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure the price point of $1800 has to do with being 'among the first' in a new modding market, to cover some R&D, and then the fact they are covering your warranty.

Carlssön is not the only tuner available, there are several ranging from $450-$1800

They all seem to work pretty similar. I paid more for brand recognition, and for the long years as an established tuning company working in tandem with Mercedes Benz, their warranty, etc.

I love my HG Motorsports Intake, though it is pricey. I wonder if they'd arrange a group buy for us? HG Motorsports is coming out with a tune as well, so be on the lookout for that.

I grabbed this list from a CLA forum:

Vath Performance V1 - 245HP / 288 ft - $1270

Carlsson C Tronic - 253hp / 309 ft - $1,895

BRABUS PowerXtra B25 - 245 HP / 283FT/lbs - $1895 - P/N: 176-B25-00

DTE Systems - 243HP / 314 ft - 749,00 € - P/N: 90100/7821 -

RaceChip TB Ultimate - 248HP / 321ft - $769.00

Revozport RZA-290 - 242 HP / 310 FT - $1030 - P/N: Z 176 3 RZA C300

VR TUNED ECU TUNING BOX - 253 HP - $800

TMC Tuning Box - 253hp / 296lb/ft - $565

Version 250 CGI: Loewenstein LM25BE 245 HP and 375 Nm of torque - $995

For sluggish throttle response:
PIECHA Power Converter "CS" RC - None - 357 € - Part Number: 000-7-700

Reactions: SSBGLA45

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoa! $1800? I guess I'm used to BMW piggyback tunes in the neighborhood of $400-$500.
Also, one thing to note, the BMW turbo-4 and turbo-6 platforms have been tuned by independent companies since 2007 when the first 335i's came out. This Benz motor has only been around since 2013. That's a half-dozen more years of R&D.

I realize BMW had other 'prior' turbo'd models before 2007, but I find them less-significant in the grand scheme of things, as the tuning world has grown by leaps and bounds since 2000+

Marketing is another hurdle... Benz has always been perceived as kind of the 'premiere' of the 'premiere luxury brands from Germany.' (besides supercars, of course) I have always had to pay MORE to tune my Benzes than any other platform. I also believe a lot of tuners are nervous that the turbo-4 market for Benzes will be stagnant, with less demand for aftermarket parts.

I hope they tell me I am wrong! lol

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you by any chance ask them to clarify the statement on using RON98 gas?
Also, are you sure the warranty works in the US?
Lastly, how's the gas mileage with the module?
Sorry for a bunch of questions, just really interested in this mod. :)
-No, I have not spoken to them about RON98. Because it is a piggyback, you still have knock protection from the stock ECU, the only issue with lower octane is less power... AND ALWAYS USE PREMIUM FUEL REGARDLESS :)

-Of course the warranty works in the U.S!!!

-Haven't paid any attention to the gas mileage. Hasn't increased my frequency of fill-ups yet...

-I'm happy to answer your questions. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Amazing how easy it is to install the Carlsson C Tronic, no harness or extra wirings required! Thanks for sharing the video, Boris! Guess will just have to save a little bit more (and wait painfully) for the Carlsson C Tronic. My priority right now are replacing my 19-in tires/rims due to our beloved Canadian winter. Have survived the slippery roads until now, don't want to push my luck.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Glad you're enjoying your new toy, Boris. Been inquiring about an ordinary ECU tuning kit and they're asking US$700, link below:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=fcp29f2521k7llgmidd82ls675&keywords=ecu+tuning+benz&keywords_hidden=19479

Do you think it's comparable to your Carlsson toy? Thanks in advance!
I honestly think all of the available piggyback options probably create similar power. Remember, different dynos, different ambient temps, different humidity, different altitudes, etc. everyone will show different numbers, though similar. I will say the Carlssön graph also appeared to have the best-looking graph in terms of power 'delivery.'

Another important aspect of the Carlssön unit, is the 'build-quality' of the unit. It feels like a tough OEM part, and even blends in with the harness it is connected to. You wouldn't physically notice it. As far as fit-n-finish, the unit fit 'perfectly,' and there really is no battle with install, you just have to listen closely to hear it 'click' into position.

For me, where the Carlssön unit really shines is their reputation, warranty and ease of installation. Paying the premium was worth it to me, but may not feel valuable to others. And it IS POSSIBLE the Carlssön unit makes more power than the others, and I paid for that feeling as well.

All I know is my GLA now feels like own a different CUV than I originally purchased. It is so much more engaging to drive. Definitely making over 300ft/lbs, as you can feel the torque suck you into the seat. If you paid $33,000-$37,000 for your GLA250, why not add another $800 - $1800 to the bill to make it feel like you paid even more? (But still GET THE LED HEADLIGHTS LMAO)

Remember, I have NO EXPERIENCE with the other piggybacks, other than the same pictures and descriptions the rest of you have seen online. So I mean no offense to any other great companies releasing these products. Check them out! And post them here on GLAOWNERS.com! >:D

***I also have more 'supporting mods' and weight reductions than others.(see sig) And I have NO IDEA how much power they added to the equation.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My priority right now are replacing my 19-in tires/rims due to our beloved Canadian winter. Have survived the slippery roads until now, don't want to push my luck.
Why replace the 19's? Plenty of great snow tires for 19's, or Conti DWS.

I have 19's with slightly larger 245/45/19 Conti DWS tires and I get around in the snow amazingly. I hop curbs to drop into parking spaces, mud trails, snow and ice on 19's. Haven't had any issues thus far. Plus I don't have to switch wheels or tires every season, the DWS has a dedicated snow patch, even though it is an 'all-season' tire. Something to consider.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts