Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and only found this in general http://www.glaowners.com/forum/mercedes-benz-gla-general-discussion/7786-detailed-22ple.html

And I see there are subsections that could perhaps address this, but I'll throw it out to General first.

Does anyone have a routine on washing/detailing their GLAs that they would like to share?

My GLA is white with black interior. Just wanting to see if others are doing something better than I am in regards to the weekly wash.

Lots of dust/sand in West Texas. I have been washing and using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray after a soapless wash (just a strong rinse, multiple microfiber towels to prevent scratching, and a final rinse).

Besides dressing on the tires (Meguiar's), I don't use Armor All on the black plastic throughout the car. I don't like the glossy look, but perhaps I should be protecting this portion of the car. Thoughts?

I do use 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water to get water spots off the brushed nickel looking panels on the rear mufflers, front spoiler, and railings on top (I could not figure out another way to remove the water spots).

My wheels get cleaned, but mostly surface. The wheel interior is too difficult to clean, even with a brush. This annoys me. Ideas?

Inside I will use Meguiar's leather cleaner (haven't really used anything) and a dustbrush for the instrument panel.

Anyone have any tips on cleaning and protecting your GLA? I heard lots of good things about Meguiar's online and so far, so good, but I am always open to better products/techniques.

If I missed an active thread, apologies, and please point me in the direction of the thread.

Thanks, y'all! :D

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've used griots products for years and will continue. Their speed shine and clay bar are amazing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Trinidad Morales, my GLA has been sealed with Final Inspection Full Metal Jacket so I follow their wash routine and seems to work well for me.

Final Inspection | Wash Guide - Final Inspection Online

Ever since sealing it dirt and water doesn't stick as much and cleaning is much easier. I use the Full Metal Jacket Spray Wax once every 2-3 washes depending on how lazy I am :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't do anything nearly this intense. Go through the car wash when it is dirty (every 1-2 weeks). Get a hand wax three times a year or if water stops beading. Worked for the last two cars (finish looked like new after 10 years) so I assume it will work with this one.

Dan

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't do anything nearly this intense. Go through the car wash when it is dirty (every 1-2 weeks). Get a hand wax three times a year or if water stops beading. Worked for the last two cars (finish looked like new after 10 years) so I assume it will work with this one.

Dan
That's exactly what i've been recommending people to do that want to do enough but not have to get too involved and all technical about it, and even costly.

All I do instead these days is get opti-coat done and follow that same procedure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's exactly what i've been recommending people to do that want to do enough but not have to get too involved and all technical about it, and even costly.

All I do instead these days is get opti-coat done and follow that same procedure.
Once every few years I'll get a clay bar done.

Dan

·
Registered
694 Posts
Once every few years I'll get a clay bar done.

Dan
I used to do that but these days since i've been more engaged in the maintenance of my vehicles exterior, i go by feel. If it feels too rough... or there are imperfects which clay bar can seemingly removing, i'll go ahead and clay it.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Dan

My motto is any job worth doing is worth paying a kid to do while I drink a beer. :) Seriously like these gents above I think a little effort goes a long way, get some wax on there a few times a year, get it washed, IMO it will look nearly as good as if regularly spending hours hitting every tiny detail.

Course if you love getting out there and spending those hours its all good. One little hint for water spots, wash early or late in the day out of direct sunlight and keep all the car wet all the time. When done blow the car down with a leaf blower, I own one specifically for that purpose. Only takes a few minutes and water spots will be minimal to none, no procedure you use after the fact can remove the spots faster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
waxing

Waxing - there is what appears to be an access panel, between the rear door and the wheel well, at the bottom. Easy to get wax stuck in there but how do you remove it without scratching the paint?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts