Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Couple of observations…
-Aftermarket companies always exaggerate their claims for performance increases particularly CAI systems. The dyno charts show no info for the CAI alone…all include their "chip tuning"

-The OEM system is already pulling air from outside the engine compartment via a snorkel in the front grill.

-When looking at the engine there are two snorkels in the front grill…the right one brings outside air directly to the turbo area to assist cooling and having air flow in the engine compartment circulating to bring turbo induce heat down a bit and the left one is for the CAI (the set up is different on the GLA45 so this reference is for the GLA250). Looks like the ARMA setup deletes the air flow to the turbo area by using it for the CAI system. I do not think that is a good idea.

-The ARMA setup would dress up the engine bay a bit, but I question its functionality.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would crack open the air filter box to see what type of air filter it has (flat pleat or barrel or cone pleat). Going with a less restrictive air filter (barrel or cone) is always good and lot cheaper than buying an entirely new CAI system.

If the aftermarket CAI gives you AT MOST a couple hp, you will not notice a performance change. I you want to dress up the engine bay, the ARMA unit looks nice but at a price.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
They claim 20+HP increase but I am not sold 100% on that, seems pretty high no?

Well, I would make them an offer…they pay to dyno test your car pre and post their CAI and if it doesn't even make a 15hp difference, they give you the whole thing for free. 20hp… when pigs fly.

Sorry, my skepticism is showing a bit ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am with you on the skepticism but I don't think they are in California, doubt they'd do it without checking it themselves in person.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's much better to gauge these things from user reviews or videos rather than looking at the information that the companies put out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That is true, it'll just take some time as there aren't many GLA45 that upgrades and gets a dyno. Just got to check out the CLA forums though just lurk for info there as there are far more CLA45 owners than GLA45 at the moment.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This is specific to the GLA45 CAI, but this thread got me to thinking what was the air filter set up from the factory. To my delight it has a high performance 'round straight' (aka barrel) shaped air filter. It is about 9" L and 7"+ dia>>>

This is why one needs to go cautiously with aftermarket product…a very interesting design feature I have never seen in a car. Part of the air box is a portal in which the ECU heat sinks are exposed to the air flow within the air box>>>

Here can see the heat sinks just behind the air filter>>

And with the air filter removed the ECU is clearly visible>>>

The aftermarket CAI I have seen to date do not allow for that ECU cooling feature and the last thing you would want is a fried ECU. That would be a very expensive lesson.

I do not know if the GLA250 has anything like this???

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seems like the Alpha intake takes that into consideration (this one is is AMG ___45 specific intake), you can see it is still there, it uses the stock box and just bolts on.

I guess the good thing with the bolt on is that it won't necessarily void warranty and easy enough to return to stock (if needs to be returned at the end of the lease).

Seems like the only thing they pretty much changed is widen the inlet to allow more air, not really sure if that simple modification will result in 20+hp though.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Google willall racing I'm looking at there full kit shortly
But they have the intake separately, they have a good reputation here in oz according to mates in trade

·
Registered
816 Posts
OK…the ALPHA set up is ONLY the filter cartridge and not an entirely new CAI as shown by the OP. But again, I can not see a 20 hp gain just from switching out the cartridge and enlarging the air box outlet ~40%. Looks like a nicely done set up, just the claimed hp gains are questionable.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Would you guys ever consider using some sort of material to help create an air funnel to better funnel air to the filter? Seen some guys do it with other vehicles, think it will be great to do here!

·
Registered
470 Posts
You mean like the Tornado? lol anyone remember this?

·
Registered
816 Posts
LOL…one of the early snake oil product scams. Are they still around?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
The CAI is about as likely to add +20 HP and a miracle diet pill is likely to subtract -20 Lbs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts