Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this off and on since my GLA was new. On occasion after being parked overnight the car will lurch forward slightly after the engine starts then settle. It feels like the transmission engages into drive, but is held in park position, then disengages again. I typically park on a level driveway and push the selector for "P", but don't apply the parking brake. When I start the car, I don't apply the foot brake, just twist the key fob to start the car.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? I haven't considered it a problem since I park away from other objects.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think it goes into park and the parking brake goes on as soon as you press the little button at the end of the shifter stalk The brake is applied whether you want it or not. When you start the car again, and put it in reverse or drive, you have to give it a little gas to get the brake to release. If you give it a little extra gas, it jumps a bit as the brake releases.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It only applies the parking brake automatically if it's in hold mode when you turn off the engine. If you press the button on the stalk, you would need to engage the parking brake manually. If you haven't done that then it won't do what was described above. I'm not sure why your GLA is doing that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It only applies the parking brake automatically if it's in hold mode when you turn off the engine. If you press the button on the stalk, you would need to engage the parking brake manually. If you haven't done that then it won't do what was described above. I'm not sure why your GLA is doing that.
On my USA 2016 GLA 250, if you open the driver's door after turning off the engine, the car automatically puts the transmission in park and sets the parking brake, too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
On my USA 2016 GLA 250, if you open the driver's door after turning off the engine, the car automatically puts the transmission in park and sets the parking brake, too.
That is probably what happens with my 2015 GLA. This I know-When I take it out of gear and put it in Park by pressing the end of the stalk and leave the car, the next time I start the car the parking brake is on. I have never manually set it. When I then put it in Drive or Reverse, it requires a bit of gas to release the brake, and if you give too much gas, it does jump.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is probably what happens with my 2015 GLA. This I know-When I take it out of gear and put it in Park by pressing the end of the stalk and leave the car, the next time I start the car the parking brake is on. I have never manually set it. When I then put it in Drive or Reverse, it requires a bit of gas to release the brake, and if you give too much gas, it does jump.
I have a 2015 GLA. It automatically puts it in parking brake. So first thing I do after I start the car is turn off parkimg brake.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a 2015 GLA. It automatically puts it in parking brake. So first thing I do after I start the car is turn off parkimg brake.
When I bought the car, the salesperson said the brake was supposed to come on, that it came off as soon as the car started to move after being put in gear. I will be interested in how long the parking brake will last; I almost never have used it with automatic transmission cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts