Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this is probably covered elsewhere, but my dealer says my car is in port in Germany. How long does it usually take after the car gets on a ship? I am in Texas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you know the VIN you can track when it is loaded in Germany and when it lands in the US. There is a thread here that describes the web site.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mercedes Benz cars for delivery to Texas (as well as Southern states and Oklahoma) go through the VPC located in Brunswick, Georgia. Takes about 4 1/2 days to cross the Atlantic, but the RO RO transport ship could go to the VPC in Baltimore/Curtis Bay, Maryland first and that adds a day to the trip. Time can vary at the VPC…my GLA was at the Brunswick VPC for 2 days before being transported to Palm Beach MB (which took 1 day)

Here is the MB press when they opened their newest VPC at Brunswick, Georgia>>

A recent ceremony marked the opening of the fifth Mercedes-Benz Vehicle Preparation Center (VPC), located in Brunswick, Georgia. The event was attended by Ernst Lieb, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA, Governor of Georgia Casey Cagle, Steven Green, Chairman of the Board for the Georgia Ports Authority, and US Senator, Mack Mattingly.

The Brunswick VPC consists of four structures totaling 103,260 sq. ft on a 50 acre site. The center will be the first stop, after US Customs, for new Mercedes-Benz vehicles destined for Mercedes-Benz dealerships throughout the Southern Region, Texas and Oklahoma.

"Today's event is a prime example of the impact one company can have on a community and why job creation is our top priority. We are proud to welcome Mercedes-Benz and stand ready to assist and support them as they continue to invest in Georgia," said Lt. Governor Casey Cagle.

The VPC is capable of accessory installation, full body shop operations, homologation operations, and vehicle detailing and distribution operations.

"The opening of the new VPC, and the choice of this location, represents our ongoing commitment to drive operational efficiencies that ensure we are giving our dealers what they need to provide the very highest levels of customer satisfaction," said Ernst Lieb, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA. "This new facility has already enabled reductions in terms of cost and time in the delivery of new vehicles and this is obviously to the benefit of our customers."

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am sure this is probably covered elsewhere, but my dealer says my car is in port in Germany. How long does it usually take after the car gets on a ship? I am in Texas.
They say the total time from Factory to dealer is about 6-8 weeks. In my case it was a lot faster and I had it in about 4 weeks. It will really depend on the timing at the port. If your car showed up at the port the day after the last carrier ship left and production is slow...well then your car might sit there waiting for the next ship to fill up before leaving. Once you're on the boat and under way you're likely to make at least one stop either in one of the other EU ports or Southampton UK before crossing the Atlantic. Once it gets to Baltimore it takes a day to unload and sort the cars. Some of the options actually get installed in Baltimore at the VPC so that could add a couple days, then you have to get a spot on a car carrier going to TX, so again you could either luck out and get on the first one or wind up waiting for another one to fill up. It was 5 days for me to get my car from port to dealer (NY) and fully prepped for delivery. I'd add a couple more days to get to TX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get your dealer to tell you the name of the boat its on and track it with various websites AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic for example.

if the boat leaves today it would be about 1.25-1.5 months. Germany to texas, the boat would have to travel down to panama to cross oceans which adds the .25-.5 months.
The vessel tracking website/app is key! I didn't discover it until my ship was already on the east coast. Unfortunately, I had to wait for it to get to Port of Los Angeles, so I pretty obsessively tracked it once I found that site!

For me the hardest part was waiting after it got into port. I want to say it took 10 days or a little more after that before it turned up at the dealer, which was only a couple hours away. Stay strong, it'll be worth it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tracking my ship now which is fun just left the English channel. says 3-14 for port arrival not sure if that is the final port or not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Port arrival is the next port. Usual Halifax or Baltimore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it depends on your car shipping company. You can contact the company to provide more details about the time or many shipping companies provides tracking number through which you can track where is your car and how much time it will take to reach your specified destination. All these thing you can mention to your company before hiring them. You can visit wewilltransportit.com for full information.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
The wait can be highly variable ...

We were nine weeks from being loaded at port to delivery. Two plus weeks of that was after passing Texas. Our ship stopped twice in Belgium, twice in England, four times down the East Coast (a week after the hurricane so there was a lot of time waiting for dock space), there were five stops up the West Coast before getting to Long Beach, there was a week getting past customs and to a truck, another 3 days with dealer prep ... a watched pot never boils, but we watch nonetheless.

Soon you will forget the waiting time and enjoy the ride. Hang in there, and congratulations.

If you do track the ship and reference dockings with Google Earth you may be amazed at the number of ports with car yards and the shear numbers of cars in those yards!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same situation now in 2020, I have to wait for my car, and due the Covid the shippment will take a little bit more time, and also I have to ship my car across the country. So I need to find a good shipment company that will be able to take care of my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You have to ship in in the Australia? I think you have a lot of good shipment companies. You need to search for it on the Internet, I am really sure you will find something. This is how I found a company that could ship my car. More than that, I was able to find a great article that was something like a guidance in the shipment world. So to say, it took me some time but I was able to find the information I was looking for. The article was really useful and I think that everybody have to read it. So to say, I will leave the link here to the Shipaa article and you will be able to read it. Trust me you will find a lot of interesting information

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am in the same situation now in 2020, I have to wait for my car, and due the Covid the shippment will take a little bit more time, and also I have to ship my car across the country. So I need to find a good shipment company that will be able to take care of my car.
Ours got off the ship in Melbourne and was transported to Sydney by Mercedes, then transported to Maroochydore by Mercedes. You should not have to worry about finding a shipper yourself, it should be delivered to your dealer which I believe is in Hornsby, unless you have done some sort of deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts