Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. New GLA owner in Calgary, Canada. The vehicle is Mountain Grey Metallic, with Premium, Premium Plus and Sport Packages.

My wife will be using the car as a DD winter vehicle when she parks her Cayman S at the beginning of November. Her CS is a 2012, and while she's driven it for the last three winters, she decided she would really like an AWD with winter tires on it, especially for those REALLY bad snow/ice days. I have used my 911 as a 365 DD the past couple of years as well, but it will be nice to have the option to use the GLA occasionally when the white stuff is so deep the front spoiler on my car becomes a snow plow.

We looked at and drove literally all the competition out there...from Audi Q3/Q5, to Subarus, to BMW X1/X3, to pickup trucks and everything in between. While we would have liked to add a Macan to the family, they are still hard to come by here and a little too expensive once you add options that bring a Macan S to the equipment level of a GLA with the premium option packages.

This is our first Mercedes product. We are quite impressed with the initial fit and finish of the vehicle - especially the interior - at the price point. We picked the car up on the weekend and literally drove it 10 km home and parked it, so we don't have any initial driving impressions other than what we discovered during the test drives. My wife will be using it for a 600 km business trip in the next week, so she will get a feel for how it performs on the highway. (Yes, she knows to vary engine revs and speed while on the highway during break-in, and go easy on the throttle and brakes. She's a "car"girl.)

Looking forward to seeing membership and number of posts increase as more GLAs are sold.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I too feel your Winter woes. I got stuck last year in my Camry and could barely make it back onto my driveway. I'm sure the GLA will do you proud when the time comes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad to have you here. Hope that you have no problems with your GLA. You'll have to report back after that road trip. I'm sure it will give your wife some great insight into the GLA.

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you got a keeper, the wife, not the car. They make lots of cars but not so many car girls. :)
We were on about our third date way back when - cruising in my M3 with the windows down - and a 4x4 rolled by us making a gawdawful noise. "Sounds like wheel bearings," she commented without prompting. In that instant, I knew she was a keeper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to the forum gcurnew...from a fellow Albertan in the land of snow and ice...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question. I'm also from Calagry had my GLA a month and you also have the same packages. Did you guys have a backup camera? We didn't discover the lack of one until we took delivery and now are getting one installed. I ordered the OEM equipment and am having an installer Hyatt recommended. They wanted me to use some random camera where they'd have to drill holes and I wouldn't let them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Question. I'm also from Calagry had my GLA a month and you also have the same packages. Did you guys have a backup camera? We didn't discover the lack of one until we took delivery and now are getting one installed. I ordered the OEM equipment and am having an installer Hyatt recommended. They wanted me to use some random camera where they'd have to drill holes and I wouldn't let them.
Check my posts in the Back Up Camera thread.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, we don't have a backup camera. Not a big deal...we don't really need or want one. The front and rear sensors are fine for parking, an it still does its self-parking thing without a camera.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts