Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Q3 has been around for some time now and it has that reputation to help it out, not sure what things will be like for the GLA, might be the same or worse outcome like the CLA and A3

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think it could be even game

tough to say

going to wait for sales stats to see what they really end up being like.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Q3 has been around for some time now and it has that reputation to help it out, not sure what things will be like for the GLA, might be the same or worse outcome like the CLA and A3
Not in the united states it doesn't. Its the same situation as the A3 Sedan vs CLA...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, the race is on. Audi have announced base prices in Canada but not package/option prices. Benz have announced package/option prices in the US but no base price, and there are report of pre orders being taken. Audi suggests an announcement next week.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No the X1 is the direct competitor. It is poor on looks and not typical for BMW, light on the electronics aids (no lane departure or blind spot warning), interior quality is reported to be below BMW standards, but great driving experience.

Other competitors emerging are the Lexus NX 200t, and the Lincoln MKC. They all have their pro and cons (price, features, size, fit and finish). It is a race to market, and competition should be good for negotiation of discounts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Q3 versus GLA...

Audi won't be complacent just because the Q3 has healthy sales at the moment, or that this will remain so in future... any new model, especially one which looks as good as the GLA, will have an affect on sales of an existing model that has been on the market for some time... consumers want to be different, they want to drive something that's not the 'norm'... so I guess Audi (and BMW) will be watching the GLA sales figures with interest...

I've had my car for nearly 2 months now and have only seen a couple of GLA's on the road so far... I've also had a few positive comments when parking in the supermarket from other drivers about the car so I assume that sales will go well and we'll start to see more about on the roads...

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Lexus NX200t is a car that you either 'love' or 'hate' due to it's design, so even though it's in the same field I think the biggest competitor is still the Evoque which is in dire need of a facelift... the X1 is everywhere and faceless in the style stakes, the Q3 pretty much the same, so being popular can also be a curse sometimes...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Put me in the hate category for the NX, and the Lincoln MKC. I am sure they will drive well and are comfortable, but the front end is just not my style. The promotional photos of the GLA do not do it justice. The front half is all MB and the back, view from a front side view, is some weird hatchback. I say one at an auto show and it appears nicer.

The new photos on the MBUSA site show the increased ride height over the European models and do make it look more SUV-like, which is not a bad thing.

When it comes to pricing it appears that the Q3 might not hit the pocketbook as hard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Usual buyer deciding factors:

1. Brand reputation (equal)
2. Fit, finish, and quality (edge to Audi)
3. Reliability (equal)
4. Features (MB)
5. Price (Audi)
6. Age of model (Q3 older & bugs worked out, GLA first year)
7. Brand loyalty

but not necessarily in that sequence for everyone. Some say never buy the first version of anything, and a $5-8 grand price difference (after fees & taxes) for a loaded vehicle makes a difference. The length of time that the car will be kept can also influence the buying decision (not a big deal if car is only kept for 3 years).

Disclaimer: These opinions are strictly my own and represent my current dilemma.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Usual buyer deciding factors:

1. Brand reputation (equal)
2. Fit, finish, and quality (edge to Audi)
3. Reliability (equal)
4. Features (MB)
5. Price (Audi)
6. Age of model (Q3 older & bugs worked out, GLA first year)
7. Brand loyalty

but not necessarily in that sequence for everyone. Some say never buy the first version of anything, and a $5-8 grand price difference (after fees & taxes) for a loaded vehicle makes a difference. The length of time that the car will be kept can also influence the buying decision (not a big deal if car is only kept for 3 years).

Disclaimer: These opinions are strictly my own and represent my current dilemma.
Agreed, almost to a T, except for features I would give that to Audi, unless you mean something other an included features, perhaps over all features? I would also argue that withe GLA and Q3 brand loyalty may not factor in hugely, especially if you look at their stated target markets.

Another interesting factor will be what the lease numbers look like. $5-8K difference will work out to only a couple bucks a month more over 3 years and may not hold as much sway as for those financing/cash...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agreed, almost to a T, except for features I would give that to Audi...
I am specifically referring to Adaptive Cruise Control, Collision Avoidance, and Attention Assist available with the GLA and not with the Q3. Other than that they seem to be comparable.

Another interesting factor will be what the lease numbers look like. $5-8K difference will work out to only a couple bucks a month more over 3 years and may not hold as much sway as for those financing/cash...
That is smoke and mirrors of leasing and extracting the maximum from the unsuspecting purchaser, e.g., it is only $50 more a month equivalent to a couple of coffees a day or pack a day.

·
Registered
694 Posts
which works out to be not that much more.
best to break it down monthly, that's where you'll notice it most

·
Registered
246 Posts
GLA vs Q3 pro comparisons are starting to come out now!

Audi Q3 v Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class : Comparison review | CarAdvice

The Audi Q3 has commanded a staggering 50 per cent share of the small premium SUV segment for the first half of this year, its sales totalling a full 72 per cent more than arch-rival the BMW X1. It’s the Audi, then, that is the biggest rival to the brand new Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class and the stalwart it must beat here (although we also requested an X1 to no avail) for the title of Australia’s best small premium SUV.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice review but but no earth shattering relevations. It may not be quite fair assessment for the NA market as preliminary projections are that a similarly dressed up Q3 will be many thousands less than the GLA. Will MB be prepared to discount?

The standard wheel size on both for NA is 18" (not the 17" vs 19" in aussie land), and it is the optimal balance between looks and ride quality.

One other difference not previously mentioned; the GLA is fitted with extended mobility tires while the Q3 has standard tires plus a donut spare. This gives the Q3 a potential maintenance cost advantage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MB better be prepared to discount. Being a new vehicle i think they need to do what ever they can to get sales off the ground with good momentum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts