Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear community,

This is a shout out to GLA owners and MB savvy people out there. I'm really in need of help to finally decide on which engine should I go for in my GLA.

I've been looking into buying a GLA for the last few months, but now that I got the money and I'm decided this is the car I want to have (considered BMW X3, Volvo XC60, Audi Q3) I'm still unsure about the engine and whether it makes sense for me going for a 4matic version.

I live in a city in Switzerland where I would make very short trips every day(10,000-15,000 km yearly) and I would occasionally do highway drives - lasting for 30 minutes or so - twice a month. In winter months I would sometimes go on mountain roads with mild icy roads and some uphill trails with some snow. During the summer I would do a 1000km road trip.

My driving needs so far have been met by a succession of 2-wheel drive BMWs, with only the occasional, non-dramatic stuck-in-the snow situation.

Basically, I know that a 4matic version would be good to have, but not indispensable for my driving needs. Within my budget I can afford a smartly equipped 200CDI 4matic, or either a 200 or a 250 in petrol.

As for equipment I plan to order it in White, with sunroof, simlicuir, reverse camera, comfort heated seats, dab, and 18" tires.

My considerations are residual values, and the perennial question of whether going for petrol or diesel would make more sense for me.

Has anyone out there could report on their experience of how is the daily drive of a non-4matic GLA on snow or moderate off-road?

I'm not an experienced car buyer clearly - that's why I appeal to your collective wisdom. Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Safe driving,

·
Registered
94 Posts
Worth noting that, at least in the US, all GLAs are gasoline 4Matic, so responses from us might be kind of sparse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mainly town driving, go petrol. Modern petrol/gasoline engine are very efficient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thank you for your replies.

Re: petrol over diesel. This is where budget considerations kick-in, I think that I'd prefer the petrol over the diesel, but the entry-level 250 4matic is more expensive than the 200CDI 4matic. The 250 I can afford is the 2-wheel drive.
Although I don't think I'd need much of the all-wheel drive I've been given to believe that 4matic is kind of a must in this vehicle...
How does a non-4matic fare in winter?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hi, thank you for your replies.

Re: petrol over diesel. This is where budget considerations kick-in, I think that I'd prefer the petrol over the diesel, but the entry-level 250 4matic is more expensive than the 200CDI 4matic. The 250 I can afford is the 2-wheel drive.
Although I don't think I'd need much of the all-wheel drive I've been given to believe that 4matic is kind of a must in this vehicle...
How does a non-4matic fare in winter?
Why not go for the Diesel 4matic? I would love to have a turbo-diesel option here in the states.

Our GLA250's run fantastically in the snow, however, we both swapped the stock tires for a high quality All-season tires with a dedicated snow patch. (Conti DWS) And we both have the 4matic...

If you have decided the GLA is absolutely what you want, and the Diesel variant is more-affordable, I don't see any advantages/disadvantages other than the 250-petrol has a faster 0-60. Both have the same chassis, interior, amenities, etc. The only difference being the engines. And thanks to Direct-injection, they sound about the same LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts