Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the dealers GLA in Wichita the first Saturday they had it. They said I was the first to do so. I ordered a custom build that morning September 13,2014.It had an estimated production date of 10/3d/14. I just got word yesterday that my order color code changed to red. Which I understand means I can make no changes to my order as they are starting production of it. What I don't know is does that mean it will completed in the next week or they are just putting it in the que. After that it will ship from Rastatt Germany to some port for transport to the USA. I will continue to post here to give others an idea of timelines. I have not seen anyone else post on this subject.

My order 250 4matic, Night Black, sport package 19" AMG wheels, xenon lights, Anthracite, black mbtex, backup camera. $37,725.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally an update. I now have a VIN number. It received that some time over the weekend my dealer states. The production date is now 11/5/14 I was told over the phone. I am waiting email confirmation/documentation of that.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Finally an update. I now have a VIN number. It received that some time over the weekend my dealer states. The production date is now 11/5/14 I was told over the phone. I am waiting email confirmation/documentation of that.
Awesome!

Thanks for the update on your vehicle. Did they end up telling you how much longer from then you can expect to get your vehicle?

·
Registered
243 Posts
So if that is the production date, when do you think you will actually receive it? Will it be just a few days, or do they make you wait and ship a whole bunch of them at the same time?

You must be getting excited.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did get the email with the VIN number. I only have a verbal on the build date. My salesman didn't know how long it would take to get shipped. But it sounded like it would cross the Atlantic in a couple of days. That seemed fast to me. But then he said it would take two weeks to clear customs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
News from Salesman. Vehicle is is in Produced Not Shipped Stage. Still no dealer ETA but he will keep me posted. Now I am excited my car has a born on date. I have bought 3 New cars before but this is the first I have ordered. So it appears to have taken 2 days to bolt together the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today's news is good. It is moving closer. Salesman comment below.

"Nothing as of yet in regards to the ETA; however, it does say that it is at the European Port and there is a ship assigned to it."

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car is on the Independence II scheduled for arrival in Baltimore on November 25th. The ship left Bremerhaven yesterday, is in Zeebrugge Belgium today and has stops in Southampton, UK and Spain before heading to Baltimore. For those in the US it then goes to Galveston. Which is actually closer to me. But that five day voyage is probably longer than a car carrier or train from Baltimore to Kansas I am hoping.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My car is on the Independence II scheduled for arrival in Baltimore on November 25th. The ship left Bremerhaven yesterday, is in Zeebrugge Belgium today and has stops in Southampton, UK and Spain before heading to Baltimore. For those in the US it then goes to Galveston. Which is actually closer to me. But that five day voyage is probably longer than a car carrier or train from Baltimore to Kansas I am hoping.
not bad, not much longer to go till it arrives!

have you started to think about what accessories you want to get for it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ship is docked in Santander Spain. It is due to arrive in Baltimore at 7 am November 25th. My Salesman says they then put it on a car carrier for transport to Wichita

I ordered the basic roof rack and the cargo tray. I am planning on purchasing the WeatherTek floor mats front and back. I like how they have some capacity to hold melted snow from your shoes and extend up the sides to protect the carpet. I also took a picture under the car when I test drove it an noticed that the cover plate in front is a piece of plastic. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling but dead racoons and possums on the road are frequent in my neighborhood. If you are following someone you do not always see those coming. So a metal skid plate would be nice if someone makes those. If not I may fabricate my own to match the plastic piece. I also may want some door edge guards. I am not getting the plastic door edge guard from the dealer. I didn't like the decal look of it. I am also worried about ruining the paint by putting that on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lucky you, I am in Sydney and paid deposit August 1. I was told Dec/Jan delivery... I now have an update of January build which means I'll be lucky to get it in the start of March!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vessel is off the coast of Spain making 15.6 knots. Guessing the distance at 3100 nautical miles from present position it will be in Baltimore in eight days on the 25th as scheduled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car carrier just popped up on vessel finder. I have not been able to track it since November 17th. On that date it was off the coast of Spain with a heading of 305 degrees. I have been checking several times a day including a couple of hours ago. It is now directly east of New York. Judging by it's position I would think they are quite a few hours out possibly even after midnight.

Being from Kansas it was interesting to observe that the ship captain choose the smallest wave route versus wind or ocean current. At least that is my guess. I am showing my ignorance here for those of you more familiar with ocean voyages.

Smooth is fast as they say.

The dealer says it takes about a week to get from Baltimore to Wichita. Add in Thanksgiving. Maybe next week..........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ship docked in Baltimore on the 27th early morning 1-3 am on the south side of the harbor. Then it moved to the north side. I am guessing it needed refueling first then to the unload site. From google earth it looks like a car unload and pick up site. The home port of the Independence II is listed as Wilmington Delaware. So hopefully the crew was able to spend time with their families for Thanksgiving. It is just a 30-40 miles north of the docked Independence II.

An hour ago my salesman sent me an email and said the car should be in late next week. He also sent me a screen shot of my car order. It does not have an ETA to dealer listed.

I will try to find out more information about ground transportation and post that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In our inventory so should be here by Friday.

This is the latest from the salesman.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Watching this thread with interest as I put in a request for an order on Saturday. No official build date yet. Excited for you that your wait is almost over!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got a call from my salesman. The car carrier is in KC with next stop Wichita. He said they will have the dealer prep done by the time I get there and I have a 3:30 appointment with the guy that takes the check. It is a couple hour drive for me to Wichita. So to round this thread up I ordered the Car September 13, 2014 and will be picking it up December 5, 2014. So to get the car built per my order from the standard list of options an delivered took 84 days.

I hope this is useful information to all of you who have been reading my post. Now the hard part. Will I actually be able to keep my right foot out of it for the drive home.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Exciting! We want pics! I hope to update my thread with corresponding numbers as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts