Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that MB does some engine break-in in the factory? True?

They still recommend a low load/low revving 1000 miles or so.

What is the consensus on break-in?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I suggest the safest policy is to follow the directions in the owners manual verbatim.

I doubt Mercedes does any break in during the manufacturing process. Two reasons:
1. It would not be cost effective in their process to do so. No bang for the buck or Euro.
2. If they did, why would they bother then to recommend an owner break in?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Someone told me that MB does some engine break-in in the factory? True?

They still recommend a low load/low revving 1000 miles or so.

What is the consensus on break-in?
Just finished my 1000 mile break in period. Now time to break in sports mode. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Breaking in at the factory would require putting each engine on a dynometer which would be hugely expensive. While some very low production/high cost engines do get treated this way, I doubt any higher volume manufacturer could justify it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree and I was surprised by the fellow's statement. Other German manufacturers I know simply do a few minutes of dry run (no gas) in the engine assembly line and that is it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got lucky I got mine with 5000 miles on it. So someone else broke it in for me. Other then that take it easy for first 1000 miles and enjoy your car. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I saw some drive testing at the factory in Sindelfingen, but it was over a few hundred yards, not miles. They do that just as one final check before loading them up and not as any kind of break in. I'm also not sure if they do it for all models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts