Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had tyre, discs and brakes replaced on GLA 45 5 years old. Out of warranty so went to local mechanic as Mercedes quote took me by surprise. The brakes are so soft now. Previous they were responsive to lightest touch now I have to push down a long way before they engage. Very worried and upset that I have done the wrong thing getting it done. Any advice welcome. Love the car but I am no “handyman” that can do self fixing

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
Did they replace the brake fluid as well? If so, they may not have bled the brakes properly. Any air bubbles in the lines will contribute to a soft pedal feel.
Or they may not have adjusted the brake calipers properly to the new rotors, with too much initial pad gap.

·
Super Moderator
1,669 Posts
Did they (or have you) bedded the brakes?

This should be done right after the parts change.

·
Super Moderator
365 Posts
As brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air), and the system is actually open to the environment, brake fluid should be flushed every two years anyway and especially when installing new rotors and pads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water from the air), and the system is actually open to the environment, brake fluid should be flushed every two years anyway and especially when installing new rotors and pads.
Yea my car actually had water in the fluid right from the start, The first winter the brakes would freeze up and when i tried to start the car and go it was bad. I would bite the bullet and go to the merc dealer just for new fluid/flush.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just had tyre, discs and brakes replaced on GLA 45 5 years old. Out of warranty so went to local mechanic as Mercedes quote took me by surprise. The brakes are so soft now. Previous they were responsive to lightest touch now I have to push down a long way before they engage. Very worried and upset that I have done the wrong thing getting it done. Any advice welcome. Love the car but I am no “handyman” that can do self fixing
And the local shop replaced rotors and calipers with MB parts or some "equivalent" (likely lesser quality) parts? And as mentioned a proper brake flush would be needed as well, and the new parts will take a bit to burn off new whatever and seat properly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had my 20k service done today and the brake pad thickness left is 6 in the front and 4 in the back. they said i might need to change it at 30k. is this in line with what you guys see? thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Check your brake hoses too! You should not experience soft pedal feel!

·
Registered
205 Posts
i had my 20k service done today and the brake pad thickness left is 6 in the front and 4 in the back. they said i might need to change it at 30k. is this in line with what you guys see? thanks.
Roughly yes, I had more like 4 front and slightly more rear at about 24k. No brake warning light and I'm at 26k now, but likely in a few months when I bring in for oil/filter and schedule I will bring my entire brake kit I bought and have them do it, roughly 27k or so. They told me last time my rotors were still in spec, but I don't know about having them just do pads since the rotors can't be turned, I worry about squeal.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My rear pads at 3 yr (25k miles) and front pads about about to be done soon (about 38k 4.5yrs). My service adviser told me only need new pads.

Of course it all depends on how you drive

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks a lot guys. also, is it safe to wait until the warning light comes on to change the the pads or it's usually too late by then?

·
Super Moderator
1,669 Posts
We are still on our original brakes but others on this Forum have noted that there is a lot of pad left when the warning light comes on. My experience with MB is that the warning lights give lots of cushion. For instance, you generally have quite a bit of gas left when that light illuminates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts