Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased through the MB dealer's parts department what I believed to be the necessary components to install the factory rear spoiler (wing).

No template nor instructions were included with the kit. The only thing I had was the illustration from the MB parts guide (see attached files).

While I thought I could simply drill holes to attach it, upon receipt of the parts it appears that is not the case.

It looks like I will have to buy a variant of the factory "duck bill" (horizontal) spoiler...the part that houses the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp).

Does ANYONE on the forum have any experience with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does ANYONE on the forum have any experience with this?
Not I, but I keep thinking that I'd love to have one. Be great if you could document whats necessary here. Did you order the parts through MB or elsewhere?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pending work instruction

I ordered the "base" (i.e. duckbill or horizontal) spoiler to which the rear wing mounts.
This is a distinct version of that base part, intended for the rear wing.
It has to be painted the body color. The black wing will mount to it.
I have ordered all of the parts from the MB dealer.
When all the parts have arrived, and I have installed them, I will follow up with photos and instructions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Reminds me of standing at the parts counter looking at the micro fiche of parts for my 1972 Yamaha 175 enduro and wondering what I actually had to buy to get the job done. I think they invented digital photography prior to designing the gla.

·
Registered
79 Posts
By the way I just want the Canards on the front fascia. I find at high speeds the front end gets light on almost all vehicles. That is where I want my down force. Braking and steering.

·
Registered
880 Posts
not to thread jack but i found the Parts# for the canards but i dont think it comes with the template to drill the bumper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
m-type, can you share the part number for the canards? Do you know if you actually need to drill into the bumper or they just attach to the mesh black plastic?
My turn to apologize for thread jacking.

·
Registered
880 Posts
m-type, can you share the part number for the canards? Do you know if you actually need to drill into the bumper or they just attach to the mesh black plastic?
My turn to apologize for thread jacking.
So after searching the internet for information on the GLA45 (which there are little) i came to this conclusion.

Just to make sure, we are talking about the canards with the aero pkg that goes on the painted part of the front bumper not inside the grill or mesh.

If you look at the parts diagrams, the grill splitter unique to the 45s have two sets. (#14 in the diagram)

156-885-39-25 (W/SPORT PKG, W/AERODYNAMICS PKG)
156-885-40-25 cost ~ $30 each

156-885-07-00 (W/SPORT PKG, W/O AERODYNAMICS PKG)
156-885-08-00 cost ~ 100 each

The cheaper set are most likely the regular spoiler in the grill, i've read lots of CLA related thread where people are buying and putting 45 grill spoilers in their 250s. They cost around $30 each.

So most likely the other more expensive set are the canards, although according to parts descriptions its w/o aero pkg. This is as far as i've got.

For the grill spoilers i believe you can double tape it like the some CLAs have or the proper way is to tiny holes for clips to snap into. For the canards they are drilled into the bumper with simple screws that are exposed on the underside of the canard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I know it's so hard to find info like this online. And even when you do find it, it's confusing!
Look at this pic I snapped of the canards on a GLA 45 today. They seem to have little drop outs that somehow link or click back in behind the mesh... The dealership is useless when trying to find out if parts can fit on other models.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I know it's so hard to find info like this online. And even when you do find it, it's confusing!
Look at this pic I snapped of the canards on a GLA 45 today. They seem to have little drop outs that somehow link or click back in behind the mesh... The dealership is useless when trying to find out if parts can fit on other models.
Im almost 100% sure what you are looking for in that pic are these

156-885-39-25 (W/SPORT PKG, W/AERODYNAMICS PKG)
156-885-40-25 cost ~ $30 each

if similar to the CLA you can research it here

Front Vents/Scoop for the CLA Page 17 show you the pins into the bumper for the CLA

·
Registered
816 Posts
For the AMG Front Scoop Spoilers

It looks like there are at least 5 pins that would need to be clipped in… 3 of which are in the mesh area and 2 in the front fascia (meaning drilling would be required)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thx SSBGLA45, those 2 ones that look like they need drilling were the ones that were hidden in the photo I took. Seems like to drill those 2, you need to get access to behind the bumper cover which I bet is a big DIY job!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thx SSBGLA45, those 2 ones that look like they need drilling were the ones that were hidden in the photo I took. Seems like to drill those 2, you need to get access to behind the bumper cover which I bet is a big DIY job!
as you might have read in the CLA forum, some people are just trimming the pins and just double taping it

·
Registered
22 Posts
as you might have read in the CLA forum, some people are just trimming the pins and just double taping it
Ya I've seen/heard of others doing that. I just have a hard time thinking that I can "tape" something onto my car and it will last through car washes, highway speeds, winter roads....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya I've seen/heard of others doing that. I just have a hard time thinking that I can "tape" something onto my car and it will last through car washes, highway speeds, winter roads....
lip spoilers and side skirts are double taped all the time as long as it's fastened in a couple places. since it has parts that would connect into the mesh, i think it would be fine. and there's a special auto double sided tape that you would use... like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-3M-Acrylic-Attachment-Mystarsound-com/dp/B006QYB3JG[/ame]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts