Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anybody know if we could retrofit blind spot monitoring on our 250 ?
Unfortunately I do not have this, but now I am kicking myself for not buying one with this feature.
If so, what is the cost ?

Thanks,
JP

·
Registered
77 Posts
Someone wrote this up as I was interested myself and nailed it on the head. Sure you can - but it would be insanely hard and expensive. You'd need to mount the radar units, cable them back, replace mirrors, install controller wherever that goes and then once all that is done still need to get someone with a dealer computer to code it into your main ECU. Now if someone comes up with a way to make this all happen for a reasonable amount of money I'd give it a shot but I just don't see it happening sadly.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Agree with peeti…OEM parts plus labor would IMO easily exceed $2000 and that's IF you find a dealer that would consider messing with the ECU/BCU to program for the system. POSSIBLE alternative would be an aftermarket blind spot monitoring unit which would not be integrated into the cars onboard system.

Take a read>>> Goshers Blind-Spot Detection System Review- Consumer Reports

I have read mixed reviews on the various aftermarket units out there…still might be a viable choice after careful research.

Another alternative is to get a Mercedes Benz Euro spec outside mirror for each side… those have about a third of the mirror that are aspherical thus more of a wide angle. Mirror is not an add-on, but replaces the mirror (uses same housing). Probably would have to order from a UK or European MB parts dealer. I did this for my US spec SLK AMG which had a huge blind spot when the roof was up… Euro spec mirror did the trick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was interested about that and I can confirm - this would be expensive... In the Netherland I found one workshop which can do everything, they said - no problem, cost 2000eur...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am glad that I asked, because I was under the impression that this would be farely simple to accomplish.
What was I thinking ?
$2k for this feature is wayyyy to costly and would not be a smart move on my part.
Well, I will scour the net to see what alternatives are comparable to the MB system.
TBS....
Maybe for now, I will just pick-up a blind spot mirror from the box store and move on.

Thanks,
JP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts