Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my GLA few days ago and almost alternately I start the car, I get the warning "Blind Spot Assist Inopreable" and the blind spot lights just stay yellow. I shut the car off and start again, all seems fine.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
My experience is the blind spot assist is a bit unstable for the first 5-10 minutes then works fine thereafter. Not sure why, but once warmed up, so it seems, they are very reliable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm, Have a 2016 and not had a problem. I have gotten that message if the sensors are dirty from driving around in Vermont and not getting to a car wash. I don't think the system should take time to warm up. It does not work below a certain speed (lights stay yellow in the mirrors) but that does not sound like what you are describing.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
No instability at any time on my 2017 45. They did state inoperable when they iced up on a nasty snow storm. And occasionally they look under an 18 wheeler trailer missing it completely (the 45 sits a bit lower than the 250 and I can't say they compensated for this). But the big trucks are easy enough to see!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is intermittent. I guess I will bring it up at the next service as it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my GLA few days ago and almost alternately I start the car, I get the warning "Blind Spot Assist Inopreable" and the blind spot lights just stay yellow. I shut the car off and start again, all seems fine.

Has anyone experienced this?
No instability at any time on my 2017 45. They did state inoperable when they iced up on a nasty snow storm. And occasionally they look under an 18 wheeler trailer missing it completely (the 45 sits a bit lower than the 250 and I can't say they compensated for this). But the big trucks are easy enough to see!!!
Yes I’m going Through it right now. Can you tell me what was the problem if you don’t mind?

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
In our case the ice build up on the car covered the sensors. Dirt (or perhaps even a sheet of water from a freshly washed but not dried car) could cause this as well. Once we got out of the storm and into the desert the ice melted and fell off the car and all was fine. All of the sensors (Distronic for instance as well as the parking sensors) can temporarily fail in this manner.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Happens to me a few times a year. Seems to happen after a long long drive, the car kinda gives up on the sensors. almost always in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I plan to do nothing about it, as it is a non-critical function IMO. If I could magically give up blind spot assist and gain keyless GO I would do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You need to adjust your mirrors to see what in the lane beside you and use the Blind Spot as an assist only. Put your head next to the driver's side window and adjust the right side mirror to where you just see the side of the car. Then lean over to the center of the car and adjust the left side mirror until you just see the side of the car. Use the inside center mirror to see what is behind you. Many people have the side mirrors set to see behind them and not to see what is in the lanes beside them. If you have not done this it will take a little time to learn using the mirrors set up this way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts