1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all here’s more details into what I’m looking for:

• bike rack options (can be any option)
  • trunk mounted would be nice so I don’t have to purchase a roof rack
  • if roof rack is only option, will my sunroof open?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would highly recommend a 1up bicycle rack. I’ve used it for both my mountain bike, as well as my racing road bicycle. No need for straps (that are time consuming to attach, and can also damage decals and paint on your bicycle ) and you can safely attach each bicycle within 15-20 seconds each, no kidding. They are pricey, but well worth it. However, you will have to install a trailer hitch to mount it to your vehicle. I would recommend the 2 inch version for receiver. I did that Curt 2” trailer hitch install this past weekend, and I thought it was entirely manageable, but it did take several hours and a nice collection of tools. 2″ Super Duty Double – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would highly recommend a 1up bicycle rack. I’ve used it for both my mountain bike, as well as my racing road bicycle. No need for straps (that are time consuming to attach, and can also damage decals and paint on your bicycle ) and you can safely attach each bicycle within 15-20 seconds each, no kidding. They are pricey, but well worth it. However, you will have to install a trailer hitch to mount it to your vehicle. I would recommend the 2 inch version for receiver. I did that Curt 2” trailer hitch install this past weekend, and I thought it was entirely manageable, but it did take several hours and a nice collection of tools. 2″ Super Duty Double – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE View attachment 25874
Thanks for your post. From what I can tell, your car is not a 2021... am I correct? thanks, Jim

·
Registered
346 Posts
1-up makes the best bike racks, bar none. But you need a 2" hitch to make it happen, which is the bigger challenge for a 2021.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can recommend Thule roof rack and bike carriers.
I have them installed on my GLA45 with spoiler.
I can even fully open my sunroof while the bikes are loaded on.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
Suggest you do a search for a bike rack for a hatchback with a spoiler. Can not speak about them but my daughter was looking for one a few months ago and saw several.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Prior to the roof rack i posted above i had a hatch rack which was ok but not the easiest to mount and secure, see below pic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suggest you do a search for a bike rack for a hatchback with a spoiler. Can not speak about them but my daughter was looking for one a few months ago and saw several.
I think you are on to something. Hollywood racks F2 model looks like it might work! thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Thule rack really looks nice. With just the rack, no bikes, does it whistle very loudly when above ~40mph?
I picked up an amazon special rack to see how I'd like it and the whistling is driving me nuts. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Thule rack really looks nice. With just the rack, no bikes, does it whistle very loudly when above ~40mph?
I picked up an amazon special rack to see how I'd like it and the whistling is driving me nuts. Thanks.
i have the thule bars with a yakima high road rack. The bars are tear shaped so pretty quiet, but yes you can still hear a bit of wind noise, no whistling though. It helps to mount the bars further toward the back. With the yakima on you can definitely hear it but it is ez to remove.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a set of the MBZ OEM racks and bike support for sale. Custom fit for the GLA. Can let you have them complete for $400.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all here’s more details into what I’m looking for:

• bike rack options (can be any option)
  • trunk mounted would be nice so I don’t have to purchase a roof rack
  • if roof rack is only option, will my sunroof open?

A trunk mounted rack is never solid and can damage your car especially if you have a spoiler. A Mercedes-Benz roof rack allows the roof to pop up (vent) but will not allow the roof to fully open. There is a rubber stopper on the Mercedes Benz version to prevent any damage. I have a genuine Mercedes-Benz roof rack for the GLA in the Boston area if you're interested. It's just sitting around and you can have it for short money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts