Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally got tired of my navigation unit not have another address I need to go to. So I went to the Becker website and downloaded the Becker Content Manager. Installed the software and plugged in the unit via USB, did the initial setup and updated the firmware like it told me to. THEN......... the program told me to hit the reset button on the unit. So I did....minutes (like 20 mins) later nothing happens program gives me a warning to plug the device into the usb. So i unplugged and re-plugged and nothing. Restarted program and nothing, restarted computer and nothing, installed into another computer and plugged it in and nothing. Plugged Becker unit back into my car and nothing just keeps rebooting and says I don't have a navigation unit. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Great now I have to go to the dealer to see if can swap it out. I'm sooooo not gonna pay for a new one at the dealer.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Isn't there some way to communicate with Becker? I tried to access the update on their website, and I got a message that said they couldn't work with 64 bit. As mentioned on another thread, I got mine from eBay for about $200, and it was the most recent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called them at 5:06 pm pst. Was on hold for 54 mins without anyone helping me. Then I gave up and called the dealer and they just closed after 6pm. I'm gonna call the dealer in the morning to see if its something they replace or I'll just ebay a new one on ebay. I see some are cheap as $140. Also on multiple threads and forums says the latest map update is 2013 with 2011 maps. I guess I can live with that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
FYI-Mine had following on the box:

TOP BAR CODE- A 906 900 48 03
NEXT LINE- ZB STEUERGERAET
NEXT LINE- NAV/PND BMP NA VAN DAG MO78 Stueck/Unit/Unite/Unidad
NEXT LINE- 08/15 Best use before Q1/2017
BOTTOM BAR CODE M078H08F0152601

On the left side of the label, under Becker and a QR code is Q03. I called the parts department at my local dealer, and he said this one was not for the GLA, just the Sprinter. The person selling it said it was for the GLA also, so I took a chance. It was Plug and Play. It took about 60 seconds for the battery to charge. I note that a local new housing development, streets not finished until about 2013, is on it. I believe this is the newest version at the moment. As mentioned, it fills my requirements well, and works better than the one on my 2011 BMW did. Another advantage is that you can sell it separately or not when you choose to move on. If I was negotiating a trade, since it didn't come with the car, I would consider it a bargaining point. Good luck. I appreciate your information, because I had thought of trying an update; I think I won't now. I have enough bricks already.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have contacted the dealer and they say they can help me until mon-fri. Which sucks because I cant go until sat when I'm free. Yeah I think all map pilots are plug and play. I'm in contact with alot of sellers on ebay on their used pilots to see if it have the new 2013 update before I purchase. I dont blame you, its $100 for the map update, which is old and might brick it like mine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sooo... What was the final outcome? Did the dealership help you out? Did Becker step up to the plate since it was their program that tanked your GPS? Just curious how it all worked out.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd like to know also-maybe, if you found a way to have it happen, I would pay $100 for the update. I think $100 is a lot of money for a brick.

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK-here we are about 6 months after the last post to this thread. Has anyone with a 2015 and Becker been able, as per Becker instructions, to update their unit?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fbsdmd, I have a 2015 with Becker and 3 years of updates, and last month I took it to the dealer for them to do the update. They did it, though with some effort as it took them multiple tries and the car had to be left overnight. The map update I got is the 2016 update, v 15.0.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I assumed the dealer would know how to do it. I bought my Becker unit on eBay. The limited documentation said that I could go online, plug the unit into my computer, and download an update, for a fee, $99 at the time, I think. I actually tried when I first got it to go on line, but was not able to make a connection with Becker. After I found about the potential for making my unit into a brick, I decided not to try again. Maybe I should check with the dealer and see if they would update my map. I am surprised about the overnight thing, since the unit easily slides out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The other hassle with Becker, is that when you go to download, yes they have options for MAC but when it comes to syncing the unit, No go, and Becker doesn't support MAC OS but yet they have software for it. The first guy I talked to from Becker must of not liked his job because he was extremely rude.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I emailed the dealer and they told me that they don't do Becker updates, that I should do it on line. Since I don't really go anywhere with this car, I'll probably leave it be. According to the label on the box, I have two dates; 08/15, and best use before Q1/2017. There isn't a version number.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Becker Map Pilot Waste of Money

I have written on this before. I have a GLA 250 Year 2015 , I have never ever gotten this Map Pilot to work
on setting up the Manager of my IMAC IOS operating system, so can download updates??? It has on their
site an download for IMAC , but I can not get it to work either???? Has anyone had the same problem on this unit?? I have M077 model. Is their anyway we can get Garmin maps on this SD drive and use it on this car????? Its hard to believe a company like this would use such a program in the first place. They need to refund to us all the amount we paid extra for this piece of junk. I have been trying now for 2 years.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mine (MO78 model) still works well after about 16 months. As mentioned before, I am a light user, and it works better than the unit in my previous BMW. I suppose if I was a road warrior I might not be totally happy with it. After hearing in the first post about the potential for this unit becoming non functional following an update attempt, I will not take a chance. Becker is way too big and doesn't really care about our NAV units, since MB seems to have dumped them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts