Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy are the reviews horrible. Is it as bad as everyone says?

I got the car pre-wired but if it works as poorly as I read I may just put a Garmin in the glove box for the 12 times a year I need a GPS or just use my phone.

Worth the $500 or are the review not accurate?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I find Becker is often frustrating to use. Inputing an address is illogical to me. It wants state, street address, city in that order. Would make more sense to input zip code or state/city.

My GLA250 came with Map Pilot pre-installed. If it hadn't, my cell would have been my choice over buying it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got the Becker. It just takes getting used to. To be fair, this is the first non-Japanese car with a nav, so I don't know how much of this is a "German" thing. There so much goofy stuff with this car, that I just roll with the punches.

The one thing I hate with the Becker is that it isn't the best at projecting street names. I like on I can see what streets I am approaching. I was in downtown Houston last week, and it quit listing the street names. That's just stupid.

The whole 5.8" monitor is ridiculous too. They should all come with the 7" version. I'd pay to have it swapped out if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

No doubt I would have shoveled up the $2,400 for the Multi-Media package just for the bigger screen and real nav system if it was available on any of the cars in inventory when I bought the car. It was Becker and Sport Package in Jupiter Red, or the Multi Media Package with Sport in White.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the becker map pilot. Second vehicle with it. It did take some use to, but honestly its better than my iPhone. I know it sounds basic, but I like the fact that it tells you what the speed limit is where you're located. I always miss those dang signs..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, don't get swayed by the "free" update within 45 days. The system hasn't been updated since October 2013. That really p1sses me off too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just ordered my map pilot, my car came with the kit and I scored a unit at 50% retail, so we'll see. I got a lonae with it, and i thought it did a good job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been using it for a few weeks now....

I see nothing wrong with it, personally.

The map update was huge for me. My unit (new, wrapped and bought from a dealer) needed the update.

Careful of the units that are 50% off...they are used. I passed on the 50% off unit and bought one NEW from a dealer that was selling new ones on eBay. $500.

·
Registered
694 Posts

The map update was huge for me. My unit (new, wrapped and bought from a dealer) needed the update.

Careful of the units that are 50% off...they are used. I passed on the 50% off unit and bought one NEW from a dealer that was selling new ones on eBay. $500.
I always make sure to avoid those.
It beats going through the potential running around to get what ever issue may happen resolved.

My time is more valuable!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Is there a update newer than the North American Map Package Q3/2013 listed on the Becker website?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure....but when I moused over the map for the color....almost all states came up outdated. When I did the update they all showed updated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like it just for the speeding notification. I have mine set to let me know when I'm 15 over. Works great in the background without nav "running." Keeps me from being stoopid. :)

That said, it doesn't have any POIs from the last couple years in my city (Milwaukee), and can't find a **** thing. Also, the uncalibratable voice control hasn't worked a single time for me - so I stopped trying. (Which is your only input method while not in park.)

Good thing I have a solid iPhone mount solution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ordered my car with pre-wiring and got the becker unit off ebay for less than $200, updated to the "latest" 2013 maps from the website.

For the money its a good navigation, didn't take any long trips with it, but was pleasantly surprised that it receives traffic updates and uses them for automatic re-routing. It does a pretty good job with voice recognition when you tell it an address.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ordered my car with pre-wiring and got the becker unit off ebay for less than $200, updated to the "latest" 2013 maps from the website.

For the money its a good navigation, didn't take any long trips with it, but was pleasantly surprised that it receives traffic updates and uses them for automatic re-routing. It does a pretty good job with voice recognition when you tell it an address.

I can' get the voice activation to work. :(

Reactions: halcyon100

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does map also appear between dials? What is part # for 2015 GLA?

Hi, thanks for the input! I was wondering if the Becker map also appears between the dials in instrument cluster in addition to the center media screen.

Also, think I might try to save a few hundred bucks and risk buying a [supposedly] new one on eBay. Could you tell me the part number that worked for your GLA as there are a few that are floating around on-line and none claim compatibility with GLA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, thanks for the input! I was wondering if the Becker map also appears between the dials in instrument cluster in addition to the center media screen.

Also, think I might try to save a few hundred bucks and risk buying a [supposedly] new one on eBay. Could you tell me the part number that worked for your GLA as there are a few that are floating around on-line and none claim compatibility with GLA.
I got this recently from eBay for $300. from same seller. It works perfect for me.
Mercedes Benz Becker Map Pilot Navi GLK SLK C Class W204 X204 R172 USA CDN | eBay

1 - 20 of 54 Posts