Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GLA 180 is a year old and has done 12700 Kms. Recently got it serviced first time on 4th September 2017.

One afternoon I was listening to music as I was waiting for my kid to come from the school. I got the message on the screen that the radio will shut down after 3 minutes or start the engine. I ignored the message and then after a few minutes the radio got shut off automatically. Then after few minutes when I tried to start the car, the brake was hard and I could not start the car. I had to call the breakdown to jump-start the car and I reached home. Since then I have had an intermittent problem with the battery as the car was not starting at times if I do not use the car for like 2 days. The dealer replaced the battery when it got serviced recently.

After a week of service, even on the low speed, the fan speed got quite high and the next day car refused to start, the battery went flat again. I booked the car for a checkup at the dealer as it is still under warranty.

Upon checking the car, the dealer told that the software needs to be replaced and it needs to come from Germany after 10 days time. I asked curiously that the software can be transmitted electronically but the dealer said that Germany is going to get the software in 10 days time and then they will send it over which to-date is not received. Today is the 14th day as I write this post.

I am sceptical because GLA has been in existence for past 3 years or more and how come Germany do not have the necessary software! Also is it possible that this problem is because of some kind of a software problem?

Has anyone come across such an incident? Please shed some light.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the GLA Forum keyur. Sorry to hear about your problems, I believe they are a first here as you have reported them. Your GLA seems to go between a battery drain to a power surge (with the fan). It could well be more than software, however, there might be a system short at some point in a two-year old GLA. Perhaps your dealer first wanted to have the correct current software before doing further fault testing, hard to say. I personally have gotten into a showroom GLA250 and found the battery dead, sales rep suggested kids get in and leave the radio on. On the other hand, I've personally left a door ajar all night on mine, the interior lights remained on, but there was no problem starting the next morning...which was a relief.

Something worth looking into, US versions of the GLA250 and GLA45 have auxiliary batteries that support the Eco Start/Stop system and some other functions, possibly backup to the primary battery. For my GLA250 it has been very temperamental and I've given up on the Eco system since January 2017. The dealer simply has not resolved it not charging to engage the Eco system and I was tired of going back for no fix for a system that's nice to have, but not critical. Others here on the forum have also reported issues with the auxiliary battery (search on "auxiliary battery" on the upper right Search box on most browsers). Might not have anything to do with your issues, but if you have an auxiliary battery, did your dealer check that as well?

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Like Turbolink had problems with Eco Start/Stop. Dealer replace both batteries twice and the last time they did a software update, June 2017. I have now gone 3 months and no more problems. Last time they had to order the auxiliary which took a week to get. Make that is what they are waiting on or MB has let them know they are working on a newer release pf the software and they are waiting on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I will follow-up with the dealer on what's going on as I haven't heard from them yet. I will update when something comes up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 'hard' peddle is a clue. My wife's C class does this sometimes, the hard peddle indicates a loss of vacuum to the brake booster, the hard peddle then doesn't let the brake peddle depress enough to push the brake light switch which keeps the starter from engaging. Does the dash light up? If so then press the brake peddle real hard and see if the starter works. With my wife's car it's when it has Sat for a while. Have not bothered to take it in. I would have dealer check or adjust the switch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like Turbolink had problems with Eco Start/Stop. Dealer replace both batteries twice and the last time they did a software update, June 2017. I have now gone 3 months and no more problems. Last time they had to order the auxiliary which took a week to get. Make that is what they are waiting on or MB has let them know they are working on a newer release pf the software and they are waiting on it.
Do you guys really have an auxiliary battery? I went to the dealership to fix Eco Start/Stop 2 weeks ago and they said GLA does not have one, so they replaced the main battery under the hood. The technician was trying to change the programming but it's locked for some reasons. So they contacted MB and got a reply the day after and was successfully reprogrammed. Now it kicks in like almost every time I stopped. Finally feel like my money is well spent lol.

And I installed a hidden dashcam right behind my rearview mirror so it recorded the entire time when my car was in the dealership.

I was reading @turbolink post regarding Eco Start/Stop before and was looking for the auxiliary battery too but couldn't find one. If you are sure the GLA has one would you mind sharing the part number and where it's located? I am going to talk to the guys at the dealership again lol

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Indeed there is an auxiliary battery on US GLA models. If you search on Eco Start/Stop in the Search box on the upper right of most browsers you'll read more than one member, including me, who have had our auxiliary batteries replaced, usually for the Eco Start/Stop system going inop. SSBGLA45 had an excellent diagram of where it was located (lower right firewall of the engine compartment)(see http://www.glaowners.com/forum/gla-issues-problems/19570-eco-start-stop.html), but his photo was victim to the recent Photobucket rule change. I was able to find this blurry screen grab of the same illustration. Hopefully you can make it out in the lower drawing, on the right side of the firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, I too think that I saw SSBGLA45 highlighting that in a post... a long time ago! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Great reminder on the QR code. As far as the second battery, dealers don't know everything. Sometimes you need to guide them. A local dealer I did not buy from thought the restart was via a fuel charge stored just after TDC that could be sparked to restart the motor. These are complex vehicles, there are several models to remember (and learn), and a lot of permutations. I'm still trying to figure out why my dash ASSYST Service display states services 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8 rather than A and B. No one at AMG or MB seems to know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is definitely a second battery fitted on the 2016 Australian model. I've had mine replaced to rectify the eco start/stop issue. As turbolink has noted in several posts it really depends on a number of variables to make it work. My problem is that we don't use the car a lot - so the eco very rarely works. Even after a 200km drive. Temperamental little thing.

My monster is now 12 months old (all of 5,200 kms) and due for it's first service. The only thing to complain about is the eco start/stop - so things are pretty good. Happy with the fuel economy and the way the car performs.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
I think there have been post that the AUX battery is located in the passanger side under the carpet in the foot well with the fuses panel. Looking at the picture posted supports this. It is a small battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Indeed there is an auxiliary battery on US GLA models. If you search on Eco Start/Stop in the Search box on the upper right of most browsers you'll read more than one member, including me, who have had our auxiliary batteries replaced, usually for the Eco Start/Stop system going inop. SSBGLA45 had an excellent diagram of where it was located (lower right firewall of the engine compartment)(see http://www.glaowners.com/forum/gla-issues-problems/19570-eco-start-stop.html), but his photo was victim to the recent Photobucket rule change. I was able to find this blurry screen grab of the same illustration. Hopefully you can make it out in the lower drawing, on the right side of the firewall.
Auxiliary Battery found!!! That would mean my service guy from MB dealership does not know anything...
In this case I would assume my Eco Start/Stop was fixed by the updated software but not replacing my main battery. Which is also strange because he claimed the technician found a faulty code to the main battery too...

Anyway, see the pictures guys. It is indeed located on the front passenger seat under the carpet above the fuse box.
The part number is A0009827008, just for reference :)

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for sharing the part number too! Will be helpful once my AUX battery runs flat and it's time to change it out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you guys really have an auxiliary battery? I went to the dealership to fix Eco Start/Stop 2 weeks ago and they said GLA does not have one, so they replaced the main battery under the hood. The technician was trying to change the programming but it's locked for some reasons. So they contacted MB and got a reply the day after and was successfully reprogrammed. Now it kicks in like almost every time I stopped. Finally feel like my money is well spent lol.

And I installed a hidden dashcam right behind my rearview mirror so it recorded the entire time when my car was in the dealership.

I was reading @turbolink post regarding Eco Start/Stop before and was looking for the auxiliary battery too but couldn't find one. If you are sure the GLA has one would you mind sharing the part number and where it's located? I am going to talk to the guys at the dealership again lol
[/QUOTE

Yes auxiliary battery is located under glove box below cabin air filter. Just changed mine 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auxiliary Battery found!!! That would mean my service guy from MB dealership does not know anything...
In this case I would assume my Eco Start/Stop was fixed by the updated software but not replacing my main battery. Which is also strange because he claimed the technician found a faulty code to the main battery too...

Anyway, see the pictures guys. It is indeed located on the front passenger seat under the carpet above the fuse box.
The part number is A0009827008, just for reference :)
Does anyone know if there's a newer version of this aux battery? It's impossible to find the part number A0009827008 brand new and all the other similar parts I've seen are 12v 12ah BUT 200A instead of 170A and I was told the 200A won't work on my car.
Thanks in advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts