Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came home from a 4 day trip and when I jumped in my 2018 GLA250 the following day and the battery was completely dead for no clear reason except perhaps that I haven't been driving it daily or very far. My husband tried charging the battery but without success. We realized a day or two later that the battery was still under warranty so I contacted MB support who forwarded me to their roadside service. I was told that a technician could swap the battery. The technician arrived at my home and I was then told that he couldn't swap out a battery in a car that was newer than 2016 but he managed to jump start the battery. I proceeded to drive the car to the nearest MB dealership in Arcadia, CA. After waiting for about 25 minutes I was told that they have no batteries in stock. I returned home feeling like I had received a lot of runaround and misleading information. So fast forward to today, I get in the car to go to work and the dash is flashing on and off the entire time and the radio turned off. Before I got to my destination the I got a warning that the transmission could no longer operate and was put into neutral. It was insane, I was literally in the middle of a street and had to turn my car off and back on to get the transmission to engage. Meanwhile, I was on communicating with the service personnel from the MB dealership in Arcadia, CA who was telling me that they still don't have any batteries and that I might have to have the car towed if the transmission issue doesn't reset itself. OMG...my car has less than 21,000 miles on it and I fear what issues this car has in store for me in the future if these are the sorts of issues I'm experiencing now.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the MB battery and related issues?

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
Modern cars are full of computers and sensors. These are all very voltage sensitive. If the battery is low then what you are seeing is not MB specific. Flashing dash displays and random errors are due to the computers shutting off and on. Meanwhile the sensors lie about the car's conditions and the computers have no choice but to go into safety modes. This is all makes and models.

Additionally modern cars have high parasitic losses so a car sitting for more than a short time will have a low battery that won't fully recharge without a long drive.

Once a battery goes dead it may be compromised as well. I don't understand why 2016 is a cut off date for being able to change a battery. I also don't understand how a dealer can't access a battery. I'd be tempted to call MB USA for advice.

Meanwhile get a good battery tender (I like the CTek I just got since my other one would not fully charge the battery). This will save you future grief.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’d bet all your issues since charging the battery are related to low voltage. I’d call whoever said they can’t swap a battery out of a 2016+ out on it, cause warranty is warranty and that just sounds like an excuse. This is probably your daily driver, but it might be in your best interest to hold off on much driving til you can swap your battery. Also a tender is a good option for when you drive it intermittently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d bet all your issues since charging the battery are related to low voltage. I’d call whoever said they can’t swap a battery out of a 2016+ out on it, cause warranty is warranty and that just sounds like an excuse. This is probably your daily driver, but it might be in your best interest to hold off on much driving til you can swap your battery. Also a tender is a good option for when you drive it intermittently.
Modern cars are full of computers and sensors. These are all very voltage sensitive. If the battery is low then what you are seeing is not MB specific. Flashing dash displays and random errors are due to the computers shutting off and on. Meanwhile the sensors lie about the car's conditions and the computers have no choice but to go into safety modes. This is all makes and models.

Additionally modern cars have high parasitic losses so a car sitting for more than a short time will have a low battery that won't fully recharge without a long drive.

Once a battery goes dead it may be compromised as well. I don't understand why 2016 is a cut off date for being able to change a battery. I also don't understand how a dealer can't access a battery. I'd be tempted to call MB USA for advice.

Meanwhile get a good battery tender (I like the CTek I just got since my other one would not fully charge the battery). This will save you future grief.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does seem to be the problem and the voltage problem wasn't that noticeable until the battery drained completely. When I thought about calling other dealerships I was shocked to learn that the one I've been in touch with has a 4.5/5 stars on Yelp while about 5 of the other closest dealerships have a 3 to 3.5/5 star. Kind of made me feel like I'd be wasting my time.

·
658 Posts
Four days setting idle should not drain a battery. Just asking but do you think you could have possibly left the switch on, or have you installed something that stills draw power when the switch is off? Cars set on dealer lots for weeks and not started but start when you go to test drive it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Four days setting idle should not drain a battery. Just asking but do you think you could have possibly left the switch on, or have you installed something that stills draw power when the switch is off? Cars set on dealer lots for weeks and not started but start when you go to test drive it.
I agree. It is possible I left something on but I couldn’t figure out what that may have been. Either way, the battery is now wreaking havoc and the dealership is claiming not to have any batteries available.

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
Unless a battery is specifically designed and branded as a "deep cycle" type once it is fully drained it is difficult if not impossible to bring back to life (home chargers are usually inadequate but the heavy duty type carried by AAA sometimes work). The OEM battery is a relatively good one but not a deep cycle.

Having said that, the battery in one of our 2018 GLA's has been fine (daily driver). However the other one needed to have its battery replaced, under warranty, after only one year (occasional driver). The latter is in Florida and they had a battery in stock or were able to get it quickly and return the vehicle the same day, so I don't understand your dealership's issues. Although many dealers and service outfits don't stock many parts, rather relying on vendors to quickly provide. And given pandemic who knows what is and is not readily available in an area at any specific time (been waiting myself for a small freezer since May!).

Stay on the dealership Karin and I agree that a call to Benz USA is now in order.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I recently came home from a 4 day trip and when I jumped in my 2018 GLA250 the following day and the battery was completely dead for no clear reason except perhaps that I haven't been driving it daily or very far. My husband tried charging the battery but without success. We realized a day or two later that the battery was still under warranty so I contacted MB support who forwarded me to their roadside service. I was told that a technician could swap the battery. The technician arrived at my home and I was then told that he couldn't swap out a battery in a car that was newer than 2016 but he managed to jump start the battery. I proceeded to drive the car to the nearest MB dealership in Arcadia, CA. After waiting for about 25 minutes I was told that they have no batteries in stock. I returned home feeling like I had received a lot of runaround and misleading information. So fast forward to today, I get in the car to go to work and the dash is flashing on and off the entire time and the radio turned off. Before I got to my destination the I got a warning that the transmission could no longer operate and was put into neutral. It was insane, I was literally in the middle of a street and had to turn my car off and back on to get the transmission to engage. Meanwhile, I was on communicating with the service personnel from the MB dealership in Arcadia, CA who was telling me that they still don't have any batteries and that I might have to have the car towed if the transmission issue doesn't reset itself. OMG...my car has less than 21,000 miles on it and I fear what issues this car has in store for me in the future if these are the sorts of issues I'm experiencing now.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the MB battery and related issues?
I had a similar issue only after I changed my battery and when my eco stop/start started working again because the weather is now cooler. It kept stopping when I come to a traffic junction, I get honked at, I had restart each time.

It turns out it was the secondary battery that was causing the problem. It's that little battery under the passengerfoot carpet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts