Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Yesterday I got some sort of apparently bad fuel.The car is without power when I try to push it, sounds like the turbo is not pumping...I have this smell from the exhaust like it's burned heating oil and on the trunk I see what looks like black oil dots.Tried to put in new 100 octane fuel (half tank) and some octane booster and now is a little bit better...I don't have any check engine light on the dash....
What to do now?Any suggestions? Do I empty the tank?Is it possible that I got dirt on the sparks and it's misfiring?does the car got some damage on the fuel pump because of bad fuel?
Happened to anyone something similar?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check in where you purchased the tank of questionable fuel and ask if anyone else has had an issue. Is it possible you accidently purchased diesel fuel instead of gas? Could have been the fuel delivery person filled the premium tank with diesel fuel. Good luck solving this issue, especially since the MIL isn't lit.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
A "burned heating oil" smell would certainly lead you to believe there was some diesel fuel introduced since that's basically what it is (diesel = number 2 heating oil with additives). Although diesel pump nozzles are generally specifically color coded and often diameter sized differently to preclude mistaken use there's always a chance .....

Water in the fuel significantly degrades performance as well however and given less pandemic driving the station tanks many places have been more prone to condensation and ground water intrusion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A "burned heating oil" smell would certainly lead you to believe there was some diesel fuel introduced since that's basically what it is (diesel = number 2 heating oil with additives). Although diesel pump nozzles are generally specifically color coded and often diameter sized differently to preclude mistaken use there's always a chance .....

Water in the fuel significantly degrades performance as well however and given less pandemic driving the station tanks many places have been more prone to condensation and ground water intrusion.
While all underground tanks are susceptible to condensation, the pickup tube that brings the fuel to the pump is several inches off the bottom of the tank. In order to prevent the kind of situation you've described, every delivery driver uses something called an "inch stick" that determines the level of fuel left in the underground tank. These very long inch sticks are coated with a green water detecting paste that turns red when water is present. When water is present close to the level of the pickup tube, that driver will manually pump the water out of the tank before delivering the fuel.

If you suspect you may have picked up some water mixed with your fuel, try contacting the proprietor of the station where the purchase was made to alert that person of a possible problem.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi!
Yesterday I got some sort of apparently bad fuel.The car is without power when I try to push it, sounds like the turbo is not pumping...I have this smell from the exhaust like it's burned heating oil and on the trunk I see what looks like black oil dots.Tried to put in new 100 octane fuel (half tank) and some octane booster and now is a little bit better...I don't have any check engine light on the dash....
What to do now?Do not try to romp on the car at all, keep it out of boost. smell the fuel filler port, perhaps diesel by mistake. ? normal brand of fuel? normal station?how much did you put in? How much was in to start with?

Any suggestions? see below
Do I empty the tank?
maybe,it is a delicate engine, tuned close to the edge. so the normal practice of "running it thru" has greater chance of bad outcome.

Is it possible that I got dirt on the sparks and it's misfiring? no
you may have that, but not from a fillup

Does the car got some damage on the fuel pump because of bad fuel?yes, the HPFP may see wear from water.

Happened to anyone something similar? so first we need to define "bad gas" from the symptoms you describe, I am not hearing water contaminnation,
I would return to the same pump, the same day, and fill my mower can, take it home and pour some into a glass jar,etc
the smell and soot speak to a less highly refined petroleum.... which, unless you fill up at some exotic locations, is diesel...........

so, how much did you pump in, how full were you
cuz the solution to polution is dilution
IE : 3 gal of diesel in 3 gal of 91 oct would produce continuous KR , be full retard, cut boost, run horrible

adding 6 gal of anyoct gas would reduce the diesel concentration from 50% to 25%

so you can continue that process until the diesel percentage is low enough to drive fast again. or have the tank drained, and avoid the fear of creating supersonicflamefrontpropagation events
There is the possibility that the truck guy put diesel in the mogas storage tank, unlikely tho, yeah? again, contact the manager of the station you use. he can tell you if there was any maintenence, or mistakes, the day you got your bad gas. and get a code reader, see what the idiot light is not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts