Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Benz OEM LED/Bi-Xenon Headlights. Paid $850 (with shipping)
Had to buy Benz OEM LED resistor boxes for each side though, at $150
I'm guessing there will be more of these available in the future at lower prices after more and more GLA45's go 'off-road' unintentionally :eek:

>:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
It took me a minute to figure out the mod. :rolleyes: Thought this was about some new after-market headlights but, IIRC, you did not have the bi-xenons originally, correct? If so I'm sure you'll love the xenons. They are a pretty nice feature to have. :D

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL
Sorry, yes, I bought a set of LED headlights.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The 2 'metal' boxes on either end are the required 'modules' for managing the LED's as well as being a 'resistor' for the low current draw. The larger one is also a 'Ballast' for the Xenons. The igniter is integrated into the bulb slot.

As far as I can tell so far, all of the 'digital' components of the lights lie within these modules and I will need to pull the bumper and plug in the standard lighting harness from my OEM non-LED standard headlights.

This one

Goes here:

And the large square module attaches to a harness that is cranked down with the plastic clip:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Love the step-by-step photos! Following your mods with interest! :)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we hit a snag. The harnesses matched up and connected, but the wiring may be different. We may have to get a new wiring harness.

·
Registered
694 Posts
ah I hate when that happens, have you at least found a point where the harness disconnects from the rest of the vehicles harness? I know that can require some good digging to find.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I hope Boris will respond, but with that said he has not been posting for quite a few months?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi there,

Another option (probably a lot less complicated and cheaper) is to buy high intensity lights from ebay. I don't know about the GLA halogen part number (I have the factory bi-xenons) but there are replacement bulbs, ballast set, and resistor packs available on ebay for most halogen replacements for around $50. You also have the option of choosing the color (anything below 5,000 is similar to OEM, anything above 5,000 has a bluish tint).

They are not as nice as bi-xenons but definitely much better than halogens.

I did this for my truck 6 years ago and had to replace the bulbs after 4 years ($35/pair). The installation was pretty easy and I just had to drill a hole in the light box to feed the additional wires through.

On my truck, there are separate bulbs for low and high. With the high intensity bulbs installed for the low beams, I never need to use the high beams. So, they are that good!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there,

Another option (probably a lot less complicated and cheaper) is to buy high intensity lights from ebay. I don't know about the GLA halogen part number (I have the factory bi-xenons) but there are replacement bulbs, ballast set, and resistor packs available on ebay for most halogen replacements for around $50. You also have the option of choosing the color (anything below 5,000 is similar to OEM, anything above 5,000 has a bluish tint).

They are not as nice as bi-xenons but definitely much better than halogens.

I did this for my truck 6 years ago and had to replace the bulbs after 4 years ($35/pair). The installation was pretty easy and I just had to drill a hole in the light box to feed the additional wires through.

On my truck, there are separate bulbs for low and high. With the high intensity bulbs installed for the low beams, I never need to use the high beams. So, they are that good!

WOW am i glad i don't live anywhere near you!!

There is so much more to a xenon setup than just banging in HID replacements for regular halogens.

dazzling glare will be a huge problem for everyone you drive at.

·
Registered
106 Posts
WOW am i glad i don't live anywhere near you!!

There is so much more to a xenon setup than just banging in HID replacements for regular halogens.

dazzling glare will be a huge problem for everyone you drive at.
The glare depends on the wattage you use and also your headlight adjustments. I installed 35W bulbs and they are not dazzling at all. My guess is that you are thinking of off-road bulbs that some truck owners put on their trucks. Those are around 55W bulbs.

6 years and nobody has once flashed their lights at me with the 35W bulbs.

If you lived near me, you'd be welcome to verify my setup :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Time, if you are talking about "dynamic headlamp range adjustment" to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic (which comes with the GLA's bi-xenon light setup), you won't get that with the $50 setup :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Time, if you are talking about "dynamic headlamp range adjustment" to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic (which comes with the GLA's bi-xenon light setup), you won't get that with the $50 setup :)
Rayman, no i wasn't talking about the dynamic range adjustment.
I was talking bout the dazzling glare induced by swapping out regular halogen for HID 35w or more doesn't matter.

firstly reflector housings are a notorious problem as the HID filament location is almost never in the right focal plane of the housing and this alone will guarantee excessive an unacceptable glare. but even if you get this right, the reflector itself is extremely unlikely on any car to give the correct control of the beam as it is not optimised for such localised intensities as the HID produces.

second if you put it in a projector housing and get the focal point correct, the projector was likely designed specifically for halogen with large filaments, not small source HID and there will be a shield in the image pane that corresponds to a specific relationship between filament location and projector lense to ensure correct shaping and cut off and this too will likely not work well.

finally...many of those eBay kits are sold with high K (8k etc) ratings. as the K values increases is gets close to blue>purple and the human eye finds those wave lengths particularly distracting and the affects of glare that is produced is made worse by that also.

there is a reason that millions are spent on lighting design. Getting it right and making sure everyone is safe is not always intuitive.

happily we are not to far away from laser adaptive headlights being standard and solving all these issues entirely.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts