Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just purchased a new GLA250 equipped with Back Up Camera. I have
noticed that the back up camera ,projects a kinda distorted picture on the screen. It seems to me the camera is getting distortion from the chrome on the bumper, by being reflected from sun or lights into the camera lens. I had asked local dealer if the camera could be adjusted to keep lens from picking up the chrome bumper?? He said , it could not be adjusted???? While viewing the screen , it shows the entire chrome bumper on the lower part of screen,and if sun light or other lights hit it, it makes the lens resolution distorted. Anyone had this same problem. I have viewed other back up cameras they do a much better job.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I doubt there's an adjustment, it's out and on or in and off. That distortion gives you a wider viewing plane. In the 2016 models you have the option to switch to a 180 degree view which is more distorted/angled on the edges but useful in some backing scenarios. The distortion is almost unnoticed to me; the yellow and white lines are plenty clear, and provide the most important information you need.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi, just purchased a new GLA250 equipped with Back Up Camera. I have
noticed that the back up camera ,projects a kinda distorted picture on the screen. It seems to me the camera is getting distortion from the chrome on the bumper, by being reflected from sun or lights into the camera lens. I had asked local dealer if the camera could be adjusted to keep lens from picking up the chrome bumper?? He said , it could not be adjusted???? While viewing the screen , it shows the entire chrome bumper on the lower part of screen,and if sun light or other lights hit it, it makes the lens resolution distorted. Anyone had this same problem. I have viewed other back up cameras they do a much better job.
Make sure that the camera is pushed all the way into the black plastic holding it in place. It sounds like it may be sticking out a bit at the top.

Also make sure that the camera lens is clean. There is a setting on car's system menu to 'Open Camera' if I remember it correctly. That opens the lid covering the lens. At least that's how it works on my 2016 GLA 250.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BackUp Camera

I want to ask you a question, when your viewing the screen, does your camera show the bottom of the chrome bumper all the way across bottom of tv screen??
I have nothing to compare it too??To me, it should lens should aim just across the tip of the chrome bumper?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I want to ask you a question, when your viewing the screen, does your camera show the bottom of the chrome bumper all the way across bottom of tv screen??
I have nothing to compare it too??To me, it should lens should aim just across the tip of the chrome bumper?
As you can see it shows just a bit of the chrome strip on the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
never noticed this on my 16 GLA. I'll take a look the next time and post if its the same angle.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The back up camera on my 2015 GLA shows the chrome strip on the bumper slightly more than the pic posted by WhiteRabbit

·
Registered
181 Posts
The back up camera on my 2015 GLA shows the chrome strip on the bumper slightly more than the pic posted by WhiteRabbit
Same here. I don't think its a problem, at least not for me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here is my pics of the view from the rear. To me it shows too much of the bumper, how does it compare to your GLA 250 2015 model??
I see your point and agree, seems like more of the tailgate is showing than the GLAs I've seen and driven. Here are photos from my 2016 GLA250, the first being the standard camera view, the second the 180 degree option.

Perhaps yours might just need to be popped out and re-mounted? Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.