Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was about to lose my mind. With all the modifications on my car including, springs and sway bars the ride isn't as smooth as it used to be. It seems I brought out every possible rattle there is. The one that was REALLY driving me crazy was the one at the B- Pilar, right next to my ear. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of it. Then I had an idea. I suspected the rattle was merely multiple plastics rubbing together, so I bought some Silicone spray and sprayed it just inside and where all the plastics bind on one another. It's been 3 months now and it is still quiet!!! Now I just need to find all the other spots too!

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
I've had some plastic-on-plastic noise but in my case more so my 3D printed add-on's. I applied the thin adhesive-felt I typically use to line wooden jewelry box projects between mating surfaces and that works well. Anything to insulate. ;)

Spray silicone too does a nice job in many situations. (y)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have this rattle. I have this same sound rattle in my W204 C63, in that car coming from the rear. On that platform, someone became so upset with the rattle, they started to take things apart.
There, it turns out to be a rollover protection mechanism. There is a 1/2" steel ball bearing in a plastic cage. If the car rolls over, the ballbearing climbs in the cage and does something relating to seat belt or airbag once the car is upside down.

When it doesn't do this, it spends its day .. rattling in the cage.

I don't know why it doesn't rattle when new, but starts when almost new.

In my GLA, being it has those curtain air bags, this is what I think is going on.

If I am right, the next question is: how to fix the rattle, but keep this system operational.

In that youtube video, the guy with the W204 platform decided to dynamat the cage, on the outside, obviously. I haven't done this yet.
For me, knowing what exactly the noise is allows me to almost be able to live with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts