Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What wheel/tire combo is anyone using for track/autocross (200 treadwear tire)?

I’m looking at 18x9 with Potenza 275/35/18 or 18x8.5 with 255/35/18.

Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just did my ‘newbie’/novice season of autocross last year on the stock 20” setup.. 235/40r20 with Conti Sport Contact 5p.

I’m pretty new to motorsports, so Iiterally just drove to the event, checked my tire pressure on the way, did my laps with no adjustments inbetween, and drove home. To me, the car performed flawlessly.. but I don’t have enough experience running different wheel sizes, tire sizes, tire manufacturers to really comment any further other than that the Conti’s performed great other than the fact that they wear fast. I might have another event or two on my current set, and then plan to buy Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (I just put a set on my new summer daily wheels too).

I do understand that there are a lot more tire options in 18 and 19” and the smaller wheel size would be a benefit too.. but I’m in the boat of if I’m replacing OEM parts I want them to be of that quality or better, and since the OE wheels are forged I’m reluctant to sell them for cheap just to turn around and buy a set of cast wheels bc what you’re going to get out of the set of 20’s mighttt just about buy you a set of cast 18’s. Maybe if I was competing for points I’d look more seriously look into switching out my wheel & tire setup but if I was getting that serious I’d probably just buy a dedicated autocross/track car instead bc I also daily the 45.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm surprised. I had issues with the conti's driving cold. They were pretty hard when cold. So if I et them cool down, I could slide pretty easy. I understand Autocross is all about driving relatively cold tires (I've been told).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was expecting to hate the Conti 5P, because they're OEM and all OEMs are compromised, but as far as my 20" sized ones did a lot better than I had hoped for, in cold weather.
I had no choice when I picked the car op, but to drive on them till the end of the cold season. So I was as careful as I could, but they didn't let me down even in temperatures under 34F.
As soon as the temperatures climber over 40, they seem very grippy, but incredibly soft, like they're made out of chewing gum. I drove slow in a parking lot with windows down thinking that my wheels picked up a piece of metal wire. Meanwhile, this rubber, in temperatures around 50F became so soft that it was picking up very small pebbles and fanning them into the inner fender walls, which made a noise similar with dragging a wire inside the fenders.
I imagine that when the temperatures climb into the 90's, I can probably scrape rubber off the tire with my nails. I never had anything this soft. Even the Michelin Pilot Supersport which I have on the C63 are not this soft, not by far.
I heard that these last 4000Miles, and after 2000 I am starting to see inner edge wear at the front tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Standard thoughts regarding inner wear ... Alignment, inflation, and rotation. Once a wear pattern starts it's nearly impossible to stop, but prepare for your next tires now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts