Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on purchasing a new GLA 250 soon and am trying to decide whether to get the AMG Styling package or stay with the standard bumper.

I do a lot of driving at night and have always had fog lights since they add visibility right in front of the car and to the sides where the headlights do not shine.

For those owners with the fog lights, do you find them useful at all? If possible can you take a picture of the light pattern on a wall? Thanks in advance.

The reason I ask is that the fog lights are not in the usual place and I am worried that they are more for show than useful, in which case I would get the AMG package.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The fogs work great. Even tested them out last few foggy mornings here. My wife has the the LED DRL's, so 'others' can see the GLA really well in decreased visibility, and the fogs give just the right amount of useful light cutting through the fog as you go.

I am a bit of an oddball here, but i 'prefer' the base bumper as it has so much more clearance and functionality. (and aesthetics IMO)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure a photo will really show the difference in lighting the fog lights generate, it's pretty subtle. From my perspective, they do light up a few feet more toward the sides of the car but I don't notice any difference down the road but I have the Xenons. This is even after changing the fog light bulbs to SilverStars.

Driving in actual fog, I honestly can't say I can see a difference down the road but again the sides are lit up better.

To me the difference came down to how much I liked the cars look, regardless of the lights. 90% or more of my driving is during the day; so I'm more concerned with how much I like it then, rather than at night.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The brighter your fog lights, the worse your fog vision will be. The H11's in the fogs are set to a really nice low output for fog. The brighter the light, the more refraction of light on the water vapor, so you WANT dimmer lights. They are meant to be angled downward and low so they can light up the road in front of you and disperse a bit upward for more visibility.

Aftermarket fogs might fair better with a wider beam, but I've been happy with mine so far with OEM bulbs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My first morning driving to work with the GLA was a quite foggy. The fog lights noticeably, but not dramatically, increase the illumination in and around your immediate path. It could be the difference between hitting a small animal and seeing it in time to avoid.

Reactions: Tim

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Have to admit that I didn't catch the fog light delete with sport package when I bought my GLA. Rather than order and wait, had my dealer search for a GLA with options I wanted. I originally asked for leather sport seats, but without AMG sport look package. Aesthetically the bumper appearance is a wash to me, and didn't want to give up ground clearance. What dealer found had MBtex and sport package. While not ideal, I figured close enough and bought it. I did get the Xenon headlights, and really don't miss front fog lamps much. I have front fog lights on my Boxtser and had them on the F150 that preceded the GLA. I don't notice that the fog lights do much for me, but that's just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts