Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Apple has been granted a patent for a vehicle dashboard, following their iOS In the Car app released earlier in the year Apple is serious about being in your next car. With Android taking a big chunk of iPhone sales, Apple is actively searching for diversified revenue streams.

The patent is for a screen that would control nav, music, HVAC, wiper and defrosters. Apple is working to involve tactile feedback from the screen. During use the screen would respond beyond a subtle vibration (shot at Cadillac). The screen could include raised edges, indents or grooves making it easier to find controls while barreling down the highway.

Already iOS In the Car will be offered by 12 automakers next year, where it gets interesting is that all vehicle interfaces could be homogenized similar to how iTunes took over music management for most people. BMW has already stated they are not interested.

With Ford already heavily into Sync with MSFT, will cars be the next PC vs Mac debate?

·
Registered
295 Posts
looking forward to this. Apple's iOS is very easy to use and packs a ton of great features, not as packed as Android but good enough to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus is one of the 12 automakers to get apple iOS in-car tech as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking forward to this. Apple's iOS is very easy to use and packs a ton of great features, not as packed as Android but good enough to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus is one of the 12 automakers to get apple iOS in-car tech as well.
Ferrari is already on board. The FF comes standard with iPad minis now LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts