Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone heard about Apple CarPlay and if the new '16 GLA will have it? Do you know if you have to buy the extra feature?

I know the '15 C has it, but trying to figure out how to get it when my '16 comes in.

Any ideas/thoughts are much appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Morgan

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Can tell you what our local sales rep suggested...perhaps sometime during model year 2016, and it's his opinion you'll need the multi-media package to fully use it, something that otherwise has little value to us, so we did not order it...I would likely be the only user of Apple CarPlay and limited at that. But I agree, it would be wonderful to have. Instead, MB seems to be pushing, if not optimizing, its own MBrace systems through a different marketing perspective.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well, I hear that MBrace Connect is included on 2016 models. Im hoping this is true as it has the remote start feature.
Yes, that's what I've been told by our dealer. As I recall, that announcement was made shortly after the announcement that MB systems would support Apple CarPlay in 2016 models, which suggests the re-thinking of the MBrace marketing plan. Who knows? Just glad to have some MBrace features for free, though most of the more popular capabilities will still be in the paid options, I'm told.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Australian dealers are saying CarPlay will be available in 2016 cars with a production date of November 2015 or later

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this something you think earlier produced MY16 cars could be brought up to include via a software update? I'm an android users myself and looking for mirrorlink actually. But interested if this sort of thing is usually made available to same year cars earlier produced by Mercedes Dealerships via software updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this something you think earlier produced MY16 cars could be brought up to include via a software update? I'm an android users myself and looking for mirrorlink actually. But interested if this sort of thing is usually made available to same year cars earlier produced by Mercedes Dealerships via software updates.
Curios to know, seems like a software update to me. I doubt any special hardware is needed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doesn't CarPlay make the navigation system provided by the original manufacturer redundant, as you are able to use Google maps on the car's screen? If that is in fact the case, it cannibalizes car manufacturers' ability to charge silly premiums for mediocre navigation systems. Maybe that explains why they are all so slow to adopt it (?)

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sounds pretty accurate to me
In my experience, voice recognition (Siri, Google Now...) are also more accurate than any in car system...which is faint praise, I know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When he mentioned you can use your iPhones voice functions and GPS? Hope so.

Had a horrible experience with a dealer trying to install iPhone drive kit. Long story short they couldn't install on my 2016 because it is only
Compatible with 2015 models and they broke and scratched several of my interior pieces in the process.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When he mentioned you can use your iPhones voice functions and GPS? Hope so.

Had a horrible experience with a dealer trying to install iPhone drive kit. Long story short they couldn't install on my 2016 because it is only
Compatible with 2015 models and they broke and scratched several of my interior pieces in the process.
Yes, that's the indirect comment.

That's awful, having the dealer scratch up your interior pieces. Will they remedy that for you, or did they give the "oh well" shrug? Is the damage visible in a way you could show us by a photo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I complained and they were quick to apologize. They said they will replace everything and make sure it was just how i got it. I was furious because I bought my car from their dealership a week before I brought it in for the Drive Kit install. The techs who worked on my car were so careless, jamming flat head screw drivers where my Screen is mounted. And it was at the shop for about 5 days for a job that only takes 3 hours according to them. They did admit to breaking a center console piece which they replaced before I found the other damages.

I actually wrote a letter to MBUSA complaining why the dealership did not know that Drive Kit isn't compatible with my 2016 model. If they had that knowledge before stripping my interior perhaps all the damages would have been avoided. Thought I could trust the dealership to take care of my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes I complained and they were quick to apologize. They said they will replace everything and make sure it was just how i got it. I was furious because I bought my car from their dealership a week before I brought it in for the Drive Kit install. The techs who worked on my car were so careless, jamming flat head screw drivers where my Screen is mounted. And it was at the shop for about 5 days for a job that only takes 3 hours according to them. They did admit to breaking a center console piece which they replaced before I found the other damages.

I actually wrote a letter to MBUSA complaining why the dealership did not know that Drive Kit isn't compatible with my 2016 model. If they had that knowledge before stripping my interior perhaps all the damages would have been avoided. Thought I could trust the dealership to take care of my car.
Wow, that's pretty bad for an MB service center. One question...was that Drive Kit an MB part/accessory, or was it third party you asked them to install?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Drive Kit is a dealer specific part from MB. You can add in when you build your GLA but it doesn't install from the factory (wish it was).

Mercedes-Benz · Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®
Thank you so much for that link! This seems to be the prequel to Apple CarPlay, so I guess it's best to find out if the early 2016 model production units will be Apple CarPlay-capable, as well as if the Multimedia Package must be installed.

Great information, did not know that interface existed.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts