Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My name is TJ and I'm from the Portland Oregon area. I have been running Torque in my Subaru for several years before getting my 2018 GLA 45.

I am wondering what coolant temps everyone is seeing through the app since the numbers in the drivers display are apparently bogus. I feel a bit paranoid that the cooling system in the GLA seems to be working very hard, even in moderate weather and driving conditions. I am regularly seeing coolant temps fluctuate between 205 and 215 degrees befrFahrenheit and the fans sound like they are running on high speed much of the time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
Benz AMG squeezed every last Hp out of a 4-banger in creating the 45, so yes, no surprise to me that the cooling system is working very hard indeed.

However it should still be adequate for the task in all but possibly hard track use in very hot ambient conditions. It may be time for a thermostat replacement, and possibly the water pump.

As 45 owners cite their typical temp ranges that may further confirm the need for replacing this hard working, always immersed, and thereby commonly failing part(s).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi folks,

My name is TJ and I'm from the Portland Oregon area. I have been running Torque in my Subaru for several years before getting my 2018 GLA 45.

I am wondering what coolant temps everyone is seeing through the app since the numbers in the drivers display are apparently bogus. I feel a bit paranoid that the cooling system in the GLA seems to be working very hard, even in moderate weather and driving conditions. I am regularly seeing coolant temps fluctuate between 205 and 215 degrees befrFahrenheit and the fans sound like they are running on high speed much of the time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers
I am running the Torque app on my 15 GLA 45 and the temp values vs the digital display are somewhat different. I will have to check tomorrow on the coolant temp and get back to you on it but I know the transmission values certainly are. This could be because Torque app uses a different method of gathering the transmission temp. In Torque Scan, it has Transmission Temperature (Method 1)(fe1805) in blue, not green and shows a value far different than the digital display.

Anyhow, I will let you know what I find with the coolant temp.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have blue driver, which is nice looking, ok speed, but doesn't support any useful PID's stock, and I am unaware of any plugins, such as Matt jacksons, $10 app for the mazdaspeed in Torque, Torque does a decent monitor job on the speed, but reports to coarsely to tune with. I think the next time I start the 45, I will dust off my Torque app, and see if I can see BAT, or WGDC on it.

There is another fork to this for the EEE's out there.
the Torque app makes some pretty nice digital gage clusters, fully customizable with color etc which display out on tablets nicely, perhaps someone could port that onto the display with the canbus..??

·
Registered
100 Posts
The way around that is to replace the display with the 10.25” aftermarket display. I have that in my C63. That is touch screen, but runs all OEM functions and runs Android aps.
I am trying to run torque there but the screen format is in the way. But it’s seems that changing format has been done by some.
Other than this, not only the displayed transmission temp is incorrect. Engine Coolant as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way around that is to replace the display with the 10.25” aftermarket display. I have that in my C63. That is touch screen, but runs all OEM functions and runs Android aps.
I am trying to run torque there but the screen format is in the way. But it’s seems that changing format has been done by some.
Other than this, not only the displayed transmission temp is incorrect. Engine Coolant as well.
Hi Vladds,

What coolant temps do you tend to see through the app in normal driving?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No, I was asked to use Xentry to look at the transmission temperature by someone here.
The temperature in Xentry, which is used as reference in the transmission oil change procedure, is different than the one the car shows you, in the AMG screen.
As I was doing this, took the time to compare the Xentry reference temperature for the coolant as well. So yes, the temperature of the coolant, as shown by the car in the AMG screen, is incorrect too.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
It looks like I need to find my old dongle, the blue driver dongle won't play ball with the torque app.

I haven,t checked temps in thBD,

next time.
but, don't expect much

long ago there was a nice tool called the dashhawk, crappy interface, prone to screen burn, but would find and log how many time the glovebox opened if ya wanted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tj, I checked the coolant temp and it was correct at operating temp. Torque showed 99decC (converts to 210 degF) and 210degF on the AMG digital dash display but I do remember it not showing correctly at temperatures below this (during warm-up), but I will have to check that again this week.

Vladds, was the coolant temp correct in Xentry vs AMG screen at operating temp 210 degF?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tj, I checked the coolant temp and it was correct at operating temp. Torque showed 99decC (converts to 210 degF) and 210degF on the AMG digital dash display but I do remember it not showing correctly at temperatures below this (during warm-up), but I will have to check that again this week.

Vladds, was the coolant temp correct in Xentry vs AMG screen at operating temp 210 degF?
Thanks for the input Sam. My center display is in Fahrenheit and stays in a narrow range of 199 to 201 in normal operation while the Torque display can swing from 185 to 215 repeatedly while driving. Any time the two readouts match feels like coincidence.

I asked a mechanic at the local MB dealership about the discrepancy and he explained that the Torque numbers were accurate and the center display was just an indicator that would let me know if the system is too hot or too cold. I don't know the guy that well, so I take that with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Thanks for the input Sam. My center display is in Fahrenheit and stays in a narrow range of 199 to 201 in normal operation while the Torque display can swing from 185 to 215 repeatedly while driving. Any time the two readouts match feels like coincidence.

I asked a mechanic at the local MB dealership about the discrepancy and he explained that the Torque numbers were accurate and the center display was just an indicator that would let me know if the system is too hot or too cold. I don't know the guy that well, so I take that with a grain of salt.
Torque is reporting what the PID reports.
whether it is polling flat out at 3 or 4 times a sec, or once a minute, just reads the pid.
the display might very well have some smoothing applied

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
On my Porsche 997.2 the water temp is a fake gauge. Porsche got tired of having people complain. So it gradually rises to 175F while warming up and then stays there. If it ever goes beyond that point it's time to shut down the air conditioning and back off on the throttle!!!

Smoothing is exactly right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my Porsche 997.2 the water temp is a sunny gauge. Porsche got tired of having people complain. So it gradually rises to 175F while warning up and then stays there. If it ever goes beyond that point it's time to shut down the air conditioning and back off on the throttle!!!

Smoothing is exactly right.
In my HS days (class of '76") the trick was to open the windows and turn up the heat and fan to full speed to front window defrost so it would just blow out the fin windows. Worked great and very quickly. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
Reminds me of driving one of my Lotus Europas around LA doing service calls in the summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts