Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I'm booked for Laguna Seca Point-by 4+ track days, on Sunday 11/28, 2021. I presume you are in this group too!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep! I'll be the one generating traffic this time, instead of screaming "get out of the way!" in 0-3 group at buttonwillow :D

But honestly, if you're putting down 1:45's, why not go for 7+ group? You're clearly keeping up! I'm just hoping to reliably keep under 1:55 with "best laps" near 1:50.... (and not be in the way :))

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Yep! I'll be the one generating traffic this time, instead of screaming "get out of the way!" in 0-3 group at buttonwillow :D

But honestly, if you're putting down 1:45's, why not go for 7+ group? You're clearly keeping up! I'm just hoping to reliably keep under 1:55 with "best laps" near 1:50.... (and not be in the way :))
There is no 7+ group, it shows that in the FAQ, but in signups the point by on this day is for 4-11 days for some reason, I have like 8 days in. I'll just try and be one of the first out. My goal is to get sub 1:44, which my theoretical should be in the low 1:43's. We can take passengers too...

·
Registered
462 Posts
That would have me sacrifice one of my sessions, but might be worth it, especially if we have more sessions with fewer groups (dunno, but would be nice to see a 6 session day). I have the line well nailed, but my knowledge and execution of braking points SUCK. Combine that with transmission lag from running it in sport mode (exacerbated by trail braking in more turns than appropriate) and it is a recipe for zero power coming out of a turn, I never have enough.

Once I can figure that part out, I'll be on your tail lights lap after lap :)

It's gonna be a fun day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've been getting more and more tuned in to the ridiculousness of the MB procedure database. One hat I wear at work is procedure management and man MB has it Bass Ackwards as far as I am concerned!

I was going to make a document tree showing everything they felt was needed to do to remove the rear sway bar. I still will, so you can enjoy the crazy nested procedure list. The truth is, it doesn't all have to be followed. For example, they say "drop the rear differential just enough to clear the stabilizer bar". But the reference procedure is "Install/Remove the rear differential". Obviously the whole procedure doesn't need to be followed, just enough to drop the differential. STILL, it's so, so goofy.

I found something too ridiculous not to post up for your enjoyment. If I go down the nested tree, here's how it works:

Instructions to remove the rear sway bar:
-References rear differential removal
--One step of this process is from Install/Remove wheel carrier
---This requires Install/Remove the trailing arm
----And to do THAT..... I need to remove the rear sway bar!!!

Yeah, this procedure set is not going to work out. They never say which follow-on procedures are reference, and which are 'must do'. and of those, how much of the reference is needed?

I may as well crawl under the car and just start removing nuts and bolts 'till either the sway bar falls out or the engine falls out....

-------------------

Here is "almost" the full silly list (I threw my hands up over the last procedure 1.3.3.2 which has 3-4 sub-procedures)

Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Number Electric blue

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I've been getting more and more tuned in to the ridiculousness of the MB procedure database. One hat I wear at work is procedure management and man MB has it Bass Ackwards as far as I am concerned!

I was going to make a document tree showing everything they felt was needed to do to remove the rear sway bar. I still will, so you can enjoy the crazy nested procedure list. The truth is, it doesn't all have to be followed. For example, they say "drop the rear differential just enough to clear the stabilizer bar". But the reference procedure is "Install/Remove the rear differential". Obviously the whole procedure doesn't need to be followed, just enough to drop the differential. STILL, it's so, so goofy.

I found something too ridiculous not to post up for your enjoyment. If I go down the nested tree, here's how it works:

Yeah, this procedure set is not going to work out. They never say which follow-on procedures are reference, and which are 'must do'. and of those, how much of the reference is needed?

I may as well crawl under the car and just start removing nuts and bolts 'till either the sway bar falls out or the engine falls out....

-------------------

Here is "almost" the full silly list (I threw my hands up over the last procedure 1.3.3.2 which has 3-4 sub-procedures)

View attachment 27094

Crazy, im the kind of person to just start removing parts until I get where I want.

On another point, have you thought about getting iracing? I haven't driven it in a while, but you can race Miata's in sub 1:40 races at Laguna Seca. It really helps the lines and for braking points.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Whiterabbit,
Let us know how that rear swaybar swap goes. I've got a Whiteline 24mm rear swaybar & Moog endlinks awaiting install.
I crawled under the car to install the bar a few weeks ago, assuming it would be pretty easy like the rear bar on my '09 WRX (and 99.9% of cars I've modified). Wrong! I'm slowly learning not to trust ze Germans for ease of maintenance!
Since I didn't have the time to start removing a bunch of other components, I decided to punt for the time being.
But I figured I may be able to fanagle the bar out after removing the rear wheels and jacking up the control arm to allow room for the bar to slide out laterally. The charcoal canister & rear diff seem to be the biggest impediments. Good luck...we're all counting on you! ; )

·
Registered
462 Posts
If I go by the procedure (the actual procedure):

1. Put vehicle on lift.
2. Loosen cover and slide out of the way.
3. Remove underfloor paneling.
4. Unscrew torsion bar.
5. Unscrew and remove torsion bar linkage.
6. Remove activated charcoal canister.
7. Secure torsion bar to prevent drop-out.
8. Lower rear axle differential with mounted axle shafts. (this is a direct quote from the procedure)
9. Remove bolts from bearing shells and rear axle carrier.
10. Remove torsion bar and bearing shells

Install in reverse order. Bearing shell bolts should be tightened in a star pattern to uniform torque.

The devil is in the details. As you can imagine, "lowering the differential" is probably not just unbolting it and holding in place with a wire coat hangar like it's a brake caliper.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts