Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is my target pressure. Yesterday I set them to 32 for session #1 then when I got back to the paddock I dropped them by 1 psi whatever they were at and was pretty good for the 4 sessions after that. Peak pressures were in the 37 or 38. If I had more experience and time, I might have tried dropping another 1 psi after session 2 but I'm just not there yet from a skills perspective. Still working things out.

The Tracklorette guys said they want 32 psi hot, and drop to 27-28 cold so they end up there, but when I tried that on Saturday I was riding around on loose rubber bands. No way. That, and the TPMS had a mini freak out after the car cooled :) Starting on the high side and dropping through the day seemed to be what worked for me.

For right or wrong, I fill my tires at home via compressor, and my air dryer is, um, so-so.

$700 out the door for the springs and install? These?

And these for the sway bars?

These springs don't change ride height nor need to adjust camber, right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That is my target pressure. Yesterday I set them to 32 for session #1 then when I got back to the paddock I dropped them by 1 psi whatever they were at and was pretty good for the 4 sessions after that. Peak pressures were in the 37 or 38. If I had more experience and time, I might have tried dropping another 1 psi after session 2 but I'm just not there yet from a skills perspective. Still working things out.

The Tracklorette guys said they want 32 psi hot, and drop to 27-28 cold so they end up there, but when I tried that on Saturday I was riding around on loose rubber bands. No way. That, and the TPMS had a mini freak out after the car cooled :) Starting on the high side and dropping through the day seemed to be what worked for me.

For right or wrong, I fill my tires at home via compressor, and my air dryer is, um, so-so.

$700 out the door for the springs and install? These?

And these for the sway bars?

These springs don't change ride height nor need to adjust camber, right?

Those are the correct springs, and yes they will lower the front .6" and the rear by 1", I like the look better anyways. The sway bars you list ARE NOT CORRECT. I went through this when I bought them from Germany, big fiasco. The GLA250 and the GLA45 have a different rear bar for the AWD. The bar should have a bump in the middle to accommodate the dif in the rear. I spent $700 on the bars and another $1000 for the install and realignment. Springs are MUCH cheaper to buy and get installed.

32 hot sounds kind of low to me too.

I hired an instructor to spend the day with me this Friday since I'm going to be there on my own.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't care about the look, I don't like to scrape on everything as I drive around. No issues with that? Your tires are wearing nice and evenly?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I don't care about the look, I don't like to scrape on everything as I drive around. No issues with that? Your tires are wearing nice and evenly?
The height isn't very much, and one of the reasons I love this car it the approach angle is already pretty good. The tires are wearing just fine, just need to get it realigned after springs and/or bars. I thought about messing with my camber, but it's my daily driver and it wasn't worth the uneven wear on my tires.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks. Having trouble finding the bars, still looking.

Since I have your attention, you're using track addict and race render. I think you said you were using the freeware versions? But race render limits to 3 minutes. How are you getting the full length of the session? Or did you pay for race render but use free track addict?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks. Having trouble finding the bars, still looking.

Since I have your attention, you're using track addict and race render. I think you said you were using the freeware versions? But race render limits to 3 minutes. How are you getting the full length of the session? Or did you pay for race render but use free track addict?
I paid for Race Render and use the free Track Addict. Good luck finding springs OR bars. I ordered them from a German seller who had a good price AND free 2 days shipping, I don't know how they afford to do that. Here is my ride height, I don't see much difference in the looks, but it is lower.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looks like vivid has the springs on sale. I think the sway bar situation makes sense. you said you only put the front one in due to rear fitment issues? Looks like Vivid sells the set, and is ALSO selling "just" the rear. Looks like maybe they split them up for awhile then realized the rears were not selling!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Looks like vivid has the springs on sale. I think the sway bar situation makes sense. you said you only put the front one in due to rear fitment issues? Looks like Vivid sells the set, and is ALSO selling "just" the rear. Looks like maybe they split them up for awhile then realized the rears were not selling!
Ordered the set, front and rear bars only to discover the rears wouldn't fit. They then sent me the correct rear bar, so I have both installed. If you order bars, just make sure the rear one is the correct one with the Dif hump in it for the GLA45, when I ordered them it was listed to work on the GLA250 and GLA45. I suspect the straight bar would work on the GLA250 if it wasn't a 4-Matic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have an extra rear bar that would likely only work on a 2wd car if someone wants it, ill make a real deal.

·
Registered
435 Posts
In case anyone wants to see my feeble attempts at tracking my car, here is my last weekend. For reference, Spec class Miatas are 2:05 to 2:15... :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Jimbo, since we are talking about it, and I'm about to spend a grip of money anyways, is it worth considering alternatives to "just" a spring swap? Ride height is always of interest to me since I use my car for everything from commuting to recreation. It seems Vivid has height adjustable options also, namely air springs. coilovers may be adjustable too, I haven't checked them yet. Looks like systems available for all 4 corners in the $2500 range. it seems like that would allow me to ride high for daily or even lift for fire roads etc when recreationally travelling for improved ground clearance, then can lower and stiffen for track days.

I'm betting it just isn't that simple. Not many folks here I can talk to about it though. You have any knowledge on the subject?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
In case anyone wants to see my feeble attempts at tracking my car, here is my last weekend. For reference, Spec class Miatas are 2:05 to 2:15... :)

It's a fast track, probably easier on the car than Laguna Seca, EXCEPT the temps at LS are WAY less outside. I've been wanting to go there too. Looks good, I can tell you were holding back, there is more room to lower those times!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Jimbo, since we are talking about it, and I'm about to spend a grip of money anyways, is it worth considering alternatives to "just" a spring swap? Ride height is always of interest to me since I use my car for everything from commuting to recreation. It seems Vivid has height adjustable options also, namely air springs. coilovers may be adjustable too, I haven't checked them yet. Looks like systems available for all 4 corners in the $2500 range. it seems like that would allow me to ride high for daily or even lift for fire roads etc when recreationally travelling for improved ground clearance, then can lower and stiffen for track days.

I'm betting it just isn't that simple. Not many folks here I can talk to about it though. You have any knowledge on the subject?
I didn't want to spend the money on the bags, I think you would be happy with the ride with the springs, it didn't change the ride much, and I'm very glad for that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks fun. Nice vid. Looked like brutal conditions though with high heat and wildfire smoke hanging in the air. Welcome to California in 2021. Way to keep the RPM's level too. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
My OBD was acting up. Its laggy at the best of times but sunday it was attrocious. datalogging was terrible. Fortunately I don’t give a rip about the obd data, only gps laptime. OBD data is useless when your skill improvement needs are “track awareness” and “where the **** are the braking points?”

:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
My OBD was acting up. Its laggy at the best of times but sunday it was attrocious. datalogging was terrible. Fortunately I don’t give a rip about the obd data, only gps laptime. OBD data is useless when your skill improvement needs are “track awareness” and “where the **** are the braking points?”

:)
OBD using Bluetooth has a VERY bad sampling rate, you are MUCH better using a USB cable for the data transfer. In fact, when I use the VCM scanner for data logging (HP Tuners) the data sampling is too slow using BT and I really have to use USB.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts