Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great footage. That VW was quick too. Laguna Seca looks like a lot of fun. Been there to watch but never to race. BTW if you're looking for an AWD dyno try GST in Hayward. They specialize in Subarus.
I tried a while ago,and they said no.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Lateral Gs as high as 1.33 on the uphill turn 6 and 1.24 on the off camber turn 9 is nothing to scoff at handling wise!!! And you've broken the 1:50 barrier now.

I was running some roads in my Porsche up near Shasta Saturday and saw air temps to 120F (oil temps to 250). A Boxster I was with had to slow down as his water temperature gauge began to complain.

If Laguna Seca was anything like that, over heating can be forgiven.

Congrats on what looks like a good day.
Yea, there is lots left in the car, just the tires are weak at this point. I just got some R Rated tires and will be back on Sept 3. Temps at Monterey are normally around 60f, so it's a great "cool" place to race. I'm hitting Turn 6 much better now. That is a scary turn to trust in your car, if the tires break, you are going in the barrier. Before I was hitting it around 60, now I can let off the gas around 75 and then hit the gas to accelerate to shift the weight back and hit the dip over 70. I really want to hit turn 6 over 75, preferably 80 when I can get the grip and cajones.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice driving! limp mode kicked in at the WORST possible place. I'd have had a red face the whole lap hanging my left arm out the window for the entire last lap...

How do you feel about your turn 6? Also, are you in manual mode? I only downshifted to 2nd (sport mode) on turn 11, and see now why I may have been sluggish coming out onto the straightaway? The car takes FOREVER to put power to the wheels if you mash the gas at 40 MPH straight out of super hard braking....

You HAVE to be in Manual mode for the whole race, I was watching some of my earlier videos and screaming at the screen "downshift" The only way you can be sure to be in the right gear is to do it manually.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am not surprised. What shop wants to be tied up running dyno pulls all day long for every yahoo out there. Not a good use of the dyno and not profitable. I wouldn't "be available" either. I am grateful to the shop that did it for me, and even then I don't have a pull in the "stock" tune because we had trouble getting the car into dyno mode for less than 5 minutes. That less-than-five-minute delay was enough to scuttle the whole testing and I only have a pull with my chip in place. Didn't matter when it was fixed 5 min later. It was too late. And I didn't complain, I totally get it for the shop folks.

I wish I could go manual mode but I'm worried about my track awareness in general too much to go there for now. Not an issue around the cars, but I don't "check-in" with every flagger and that has to change big time before I put in more distracting elements...like, uh, shifting. =/ Anyways, I thought maybe I could get away with downshifting manually in Sport mode. Only risk there is hitting the paddle late, it already downshifted into 2nd then I tell it to downshift to first when doing 60. That would suck going into turn 11...

For the rest of the folks here, I found another enjoyable video. It popped up in youtube's "recommended" videos from Jimbo above. The "random" rec was of a C8 corvette driving Laguna Seca on 2-28-21. The Audio is a big rough, may as well mute it, but I post up so you guys can take a look at who the vette is following :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Here was a later race with the GTI chasing down the C8 who is following me. You can see me in the GLA45 in front of the C8.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They said they WON'T do anything but Subraru. No one else has a Norcal AWD Dyno that I can find.
Sorry to hear that Jimbo. I'm surprised how hard it's become to find an AWD dyno in the Bay Area. There used to be more options. Maybe try contacting Speed Element in San Jose. The owner, Devin, is a good guy and won't BS you. I'm hoping he'll be at least curious to see what your AMG puts down at the wheels.

www.speedelement.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry to hear that Jimbo. I'm surprised how hard it's become to find an AWD dyno in the Bay Area. There used to be more options. Maybe try contacting Speed Element in San Jose. The owner, Devin, is a good guy and won't BS you. I'm hoping he'll be at least curious to see what your AMG puts down at the wheels.

www.speedelement.com

YES!!!!, they have an AWD dyno and it is available to rent. A single test with 3 pulls is $150. If I want to test different ECU loads it's done hourly, not sure about that rate. They say they use a "Mustang" Dyno.

Speed Element - custom jdm 408-573-8899 - Homepage

Thanks for the lead!

Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oh that guy. I went in there for help ordering two air filters for my GLA. I didn't get the time of day. A promise for a call back and then.... nothing. Some nice cars in the parking lot though.

Maybe if I were a customer paying 5 digits for work I'd have gotten some attention. I do get that he has to make money. Would have been better to just tell me up front I wasn't going to bring in enough revenue to justify his time, and send me on my way.

edit: I see your response. $150 is super reasonable IMO

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great to hear that Jimbo. Mustang is just a brand of dyno. Has nothing to do with Ford Mustangs. If it's the same AWD dyno they've had for years don't be surprised by low numbers. It's consistent and reliable but the Mitsubishi Evo guys used to call it the heartbreaker because stock Evo 8's and 9's would barely hit 220whp. Those cars are rated between 270hp and 290hp from the factory too. I'm sure the Speed Element guys will have some other soul crushing tales to share. I remember seeing a Gallardo put down 390awhp on a 90 degree dyno day. Never forgot that. The Zo6 right behind him in line put down 395rwhp too. Lol. Just be prepared.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts