Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have taken my GLA45 on the track (Laguna Seca) a few times now. I am going back on July 2nd. This will be the first time I go with not only all my new upgrades but while everything appears to be working well together and FINALLY no CEL issues!

MY Car:
2015 GLA45
Weistech w.3 Turbo w/lava blanket
Weistech custom tune (35PSI boost)
AMS Intake
PLM charge cooler
PLM DP
H&R Springs
H&R Sway bars (getting installed F+R this weekend)
Brembo discs and pads (F&R)
Michelin PS4 tires

Anyone else track their cars? I will post some videos after the race.

It's fun to see how few street cars can hang with the GLA45, but then again I think many of the drivers on the track are a bit conservative, its like they go just to say they went, while I push it to the extreme limits, hoping ill be able to drive it home at the end of the day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’ve found these forums are more geared towards posting problems and issues versus discussion around things like track days in the recent times. Seems like all the real enthusiasts from the first couple years either moved on from the forums, the car, or both… that said I’m sure there’s some people left that do motorsports and hopefully you can get a discussion going.

I autocross mine, a little hesitant to do a full track day tbh…

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve found these forums are more geared towards posting problems and issues versus discussion around things like track days in the recent times. Seems like all the real enthusiasts from the first couple years either moved on from the forums, the car, or both… that said I’m sure there’s some people left that do motorsports and hopefully you can get a discussion going.

I autocross mine, a little hesitant to do a full track day tbh…
AWESOME, how do you like the Conti's for autocross?

·
Registered
16 Posts
PLM charge cooler
how's that PLM charge cooler (i'm assuming the side one) in terms of quality etc? i have the plm dp/mp and am very satisfied so was considering their charge cooler / heat exchanger. 😎

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their charge cooler looks like anyone else's, only half the cost, seems to work just fine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Their charge cooler looks like anyone else's, only half the cost, seems to work just fine!
Jimbo,
Were you able to take any before/after logging of the ambient vs intake temperatures? I am curious to how the PLM performs compared to stock. AMS seemed to have some initial trouble in improving the charge cooler vs the AMG OEM one when they originally set out to make one.
I am wondering if adding Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost to the charge cooler circuit would help. I was thinking of trying this and my goal is to establish some baseline of delta T of the two temps and then possibly add the coolant boost and see if it did anything, but that is still somewhat in the future.

Anyhow, I do plan to take my 15GLA45 to the track sometime this summer; never done it before but I want to see what I can do. Would love to see the videos of your event.

·
Registered
149 Posts
AWESOME, how do you like the Conti's for autocross?
They’re actually not half bad. A lot of the gripes around the Conti 5p seem to be quick tread wear, and always compared to Michelin PS4S. Well, the Conti’s are 240 UTQG vs 300 for Michelin, and actually the stickier tire ‘out of the gate’. The Conti’s will pick up little pebbles right out of the garage and the PS4S need to get some heat in them to act as sticky.

Now for autocross, this is actually where the Conti’s have a bit of advantage IMO.. for autocross you do run groups and you might have a 10-15 minute wait inbetween your pretty quick run, so the tires don’t really have as much of an opportunity to get heated versus on the track, and get to cool down between runs. I’m still pretty new to motorsports so really just need more seat time and experience driving hard on a closed course versus worrying too much about my tires too much anyway, so this is a small little thing I’m trying to pull out.. the GLA45 is a little beast, as you know from racing a tuned one, but even stock it’s a lot of car for me.. my brother jokes with me and tells me I should’ve started with a little fizzy (Fiesta ST), and he’s probably not wrong hahahah.

I think the quick treadwear gripes around the Conti’s overshadow how solid of a tire it really is. I now have PS4S on my daily summer wheels and cutting the wheel at speed just doesn’t quite feel as planted as the Conti’s did, marginally so, because they still feel like rails.. but I also rarely drive hard enough on the street to really get the tires heated up and sticking good.

Anyway, to loop back to your original question.. I wore out a set of Conti’s last year at autocross and found a pair here on the forums for a good price so had a good enough experience that I picked up that set for this year. I am on the 20’s though, so my tire choices are very limited. I was going to try some Yokohama Advan’s this year after another member posted up a positive experience with them but when I saw a set of Conti’s go up for sale cheaper than the Advan’s I just wanted to go with what I knew was a solid tire and focus on getting seat time this year. Towards the end of the season I’m going to see if anyone wants to straight trade my 20’s for their 19’s and then that opens me up to some true autoX/track tires, 200 UTQG, like Potenza’s.. when I get my seat time up.

Question now for you.. have you ever dyno’d your car with all the mods? Would be curious to know what it’s pushing now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't find a 4wd dyno in Northern California, but Weistech says it should be about 498-508 at the crank. I loaded the original tune so the dealer could run diag on the car, and it must have lost 100hp, felt like a dog.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for posting up @Jimbo45 !!! I had fully intended on getting some specific wheels/tires and getting my 2018 GLA45 on the track a bunch, and then the crud took out everything in 2020. It kind of took the wind out of my sails and I was lazy enough I never got around to it. I would love to hear about your track days as I've logged many hours on tracks over the last 25+ years.

I was even lucky enough to do the AMG Academy at Laguna Seca in 2019. That was **** fun! I live in Minnesota, so the tracks around hear are flat as a pancake. It feels like you can see every corner on the track, from anywhere on the track, ha. At Laguna Seca, there are corners you can't see until you're half way through them!

Definitely share your experience from this weekend! Maybe it'll me me off my ass and get my car to the track too!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm 63. I was really into autox in the 80s and 90s. Have done a few since then, but not too much. And, I have done track here and there.

Having said that, I've always had a car with a clutch. For autox, I'd rev to 3-4000 rpm and quickly engage the clutch for a good launch. How do you launch a DSG. I don't see launch control working for an autocross, many times there will be a turn soon after the start.

Also, with the DSG in manual mode, can you overrev? The engine revs so fast, especially in first/second, I can see how you could overrev if it does not prevent that. I could also see downshifting in manual mode as a potential concern.

Thanks for any insight.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
Hold the brake pedal down. Hold the gas pedal down. The motor will rev to around 3,000 rpm. Side step the brake pedal. This creates a soft race start which is easier to set up and control than an actual race start.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wayne, do you know if all AMG versions have this, or did it start at a certain year? I didn't think my 2018 had this? I'll have to find a reason to leave the house today and try it out, ha.

Hold the brake pedal down. Hold the gas pedal down. The motor will rev to around 3,000 rpm. Side step the brake pedal. This creates a soft race start which is easier to set up and control than an actual race start.

·
Registered
388 Posts
2015 does NOT have this feature. If you do this on a 2015, the revs climb 200-500 RPM, then drop down to idle no matter what you do on the gas.

Ditto for heel-toe, so you can't use the gas to steer the car in the corners within the brake zone.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Jim, you also inspire me to track more, though Q1/Q2 are, uh, 'lean' months for me :). Hoping to get free-er late Q3 and all Q4. But my goal this year is to track 2x more times, once at Laguna Seca (Nov? Dec?) and once at Thunderhill (if I have a magical opening in my family schedule). Hope to see you again out there!

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
2017 definitely had the soft race start feature. It was also referenced in the 2016 Owner's Manual that I studied before ordering Pam's car. I can't say if it is AMG specific or not.

I used this start across all models during the AMG Driving Academy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I raced again and the car got hot this time and went into limp mode (9:33). once cooled down it was fine. Lap times getting better. Don't knock the VW in front of me, he has racing tires, rebuilt brake system off a Porche, and a modified suspension. You can see him destroy me on the turns, but not the straights.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
Lateral Gs as high as 1.33 on the uphill turn 6 and 1.24 on the off camber turn 9 is nothing to scoff at handling wise!!! And you've broken the 1:50 barrier now.

I was running some roads in my Porsche up near Shasta Saturday and saw air temps to 120F (oil temps to 250). A Boxster I was with had to slow down as his water temperature gauge began to complain.

If Laguna Seca was anything like that, over heating can be forgiven.

Congrats on what looks like a good day.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks like a good time on the track Jimbo! Thanks for sharing!

It seems my 2018 GLA45 does have the soft launch feature. I never realized that. Thanks for reminding me about that Wayne! Learn something new every day...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nice driving! limp mode kicked in at the WORST possible place. I'd have had a red face the whole lap hanging my left arm out the window for the entire last lap...

How do you feel about your turn 6? Also, are you in manual mode? I only downshifted to 2nd (sport mode) on turn 11, and see now why I may have been sluggish coming out onto the straightaway? The car takes FOREVER to put power to the wheels if you mash the gas at 40 MPH straight out of super hard braking....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great footage. That VW was quick too. Laguna Seca looks like a lot of fun. Been there to watch but never to race. BTW if you're looking for an AWD dyno try GST in Hayward. They specialize in Subarus.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts