Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are quite a few active users on this message board who live in California in the SF bay Area.

I'm looking for a 4-wheel dyno, ideally check my car performance within the next two weeks.

So far I have tried BlackTrax performance (no response) and SakeBomb Garage (2 wheel dyno only), and fftec (no response)

FFTec is the right answer, but they must be very busy, so I'm hoping to find someone else. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
It's Car Week so I'll be in Monterey tomorrow at Werks (Porsche) with a group of friends. I'll ask around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little late to the game here but hopefully I can be of some help. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and the best AWD tuner in my humble opinion is GST Motorsports in Hayward.

I've known Mike, the owner, for almost 20 years. Great guy from the UK with a passion for Subaru's. Hey nobody's perfect lol. GST has an AWD Mustang Dyno that's very consistent but it'll break your heart if you're hoping to wow folks with your dyno slip. For example my stock '05 Evo VIII RS put down down 225awhp. By the time they were done with it a few years later it put down 385awhp and over 400ft/lbs of torque at the wheels on 100 octane. To give you a frame of reference, an '07 Corvette Z06 is rated at 505hp and an '04 Lamborghini Gallardo is rated at 495hp. When GST put those cars on the same dyno the Corvette put down 390rwhp and the Gallardo put down 350awhp. I remember the owner of the Lambo because he was the founder of Bad Boy Bail Bonds. He was obviously shocked. It's a blow to your ego the first time but you gotta remember that a dyno is simply a means of measuring gains. As long as it's consistent you're in good shape.

BTW...Mike works M-F so he can race on weekends. That's the type of guy we should all want tuning our cars. I've pasted a link to a video of their shop car, dubbed the L. They're running a newer model now but I remember seeing them tune this thing on the dyno before race weekends. It's an insane AWD beast from the 90's that weighs less than 2800lbs. Enjoy!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went there. His Dyno was down. Maybe it's fixed now, that was more than a year ago. About 14 months.

I ended up diving to the north bay to a shop that specializes in E85 conversions of 4-bangers. BRZ's and such, Golf R, GT-R (I know, not 4-cyl). Subarus.

They were considering adding GLA to their repertoire, so it worked out, though I'm sure they don't want to spend their days just running their dyno for schmucks (aka me).

Shop looked tip top tho. If I were closer and the kind of guy who wanted to race tuned up strung up modified turbo 4's, they seemed like the ideal shop to make that happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts