Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do anyone got adaptive suspension? is it a trouble free system?
is it worth to add on ?
I have it. You definitely feel the difference between the comfort/sport settings in both the suspension damping and steering wheel stiffness. I ride on the 20's and the comfort setting helps take the edge of hard/quick bumps. Ride is firm, but still comfortable. Body Control remains excellent. Compression/Rebound damping is very good.

I'd say the sport setting is best suited for smooth curvy roads. Anything other, you feel everything and the ride can get a bit jarring. That being said, the car really does feel bolted down to the road though!! A lot of fun really,...

I Have had no issues with it but my car only has about 3000 km on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Not much info here, just my reasoning.

I've got adaptive suspension on my 997.2. It is worth it there. I can turn it on or off. Off is a gentle ride. On is for the twisties. However, it is not quite that straight forward. Since it is adaptive, if I leave it off and have some fun, it can stiffen up more than when I turn it on and drive gently. That's at least according to reports that I've read. On the street, it's not that obvious. As far as I can tell, it is pretty much soft or hard damping at the shocks.

We've ordered adaptive suspension for my wife's GLA45 (2017 ... expected delivery late August). She's had a Lexus RX400h for the last 7 years and it is roly-poly. She wants something tighter. Adaptive suspension is my safeguard in case the car is too stiff. That is, I'm hoping soft is gentle and Sport is handling, and she is satisfied with one or the other.

The technology has been around long enough that I trust it. But the software behind it has a major affect on its value. There are aftermarket suppliers (TPC for Porsche) who sell user programmable controls. I don't know if this is the case for the GLA or not. But the programming for mapped values based upon accelerometers and steering / throttle / braking feedback makes me reconsider the term adaptive, as opposed to defined by simple algorithm.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have had adaptive suspension on several cars and the GLA45 version seems to be just a shock adjustment. I am glad I got it because as Vraptor65a said the ride can be harsh on the 20 inch wheels.

The sport setting is still tight but not jarring.

I can't speak for those with the 19 inch wheels. I suspect the ride is software on the 19's without the adaptive suspension.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ordered my 16 GLA45 as an all weather daily driver in Chicago. Potholes, snow, and some bad neighborhoods. So I knew I'd have to install all season runflats. I stayed with 19" and ordered adaptive suspension to take the edge off the expected harshness from adding runflats.

By going up one tire size I was able to use Michelin Primacy MXM 4 ZP tires, a truly outstanding performance runflat that rides surprisingly well. Great reviews whereas the two brands that come on the GLA 250 are rated pretty poorly.

Early GLA road tests mentioned a hard ride so I was concerned that by adding the runflats it might be pretty bad. But this 2016, even with runflats, handles bad roads just great. Firm but not harsh. I don't use the firm setting much, mostly just when it comes on in the S+ setting. And high speed response and handling are outstanding in either setting with this setup, it's never too "soft".

Question: do all GLA45s have RACE mode on the console switch? (I had thought it was part of Dynamic Plus but I have only adaptive suspension)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts