Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of trying to make my own, but it would probably be much less hassle to buy them pre-made. So far I have looked at ShearComfort and Covercraft's "custom made" (not universal fit) REAL sheepskin (I am not interested in synthetic) seat covers for both front seats. I realize this could run me around $700+ (ouch) but for a good, quality product I might be enticed to pull the trigger. If I were to make my own, I'd be spending at least $200 just for pelts.

Does anyone have any experience or reviews or feedback or other sources for me to check out? Thanks!

BTW, PETA people need not reply, bashing me for wanting to use real animal pelts. I have been a vegetarian for 36 years, so I think my net impact on the animal population has earned me a sheepskin or two!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought the side airbags are built into the seats, no?
I mean I know that some makers of these covers advertise that their covers are airbag compatible, but you should read some of the postings by airbag engineers regarding airbag stitching on the factory seat bolsters and what additional layers (Like the cover) could do to airbag deployment.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great point about the airbags. If I made my own covers, the design I had in mind would start at the shoulders of the seat (having openings for the headrest posts, and then taper inwards immediately to cover only that center panel in order to leave the airbag pillows uncovered, tucking in at the junction with the seat. Then, I would make a separate cover for the seat itself, which would be covered on the top and drape down the sides. This would keep the seating area (butt) and back on the sheepskin, but leave the sides of the backrest uncovered. I wouldn't know how to make something to breakaway easily or whatever would have to be done to be "airbag safe", so I thought I just wouldn't cover the airbags at all. But, I would hope that a manufacturer who makes these "airbag safe" should know what they're doing (I am naive and trusting, I know...companies get sued all the time for making false safety claims).

I'm not looking for that ultra-plush experience, just a layer of fur/insulation/ventilation between my butt/back and the seat vinyl. I don't care how sophisticated they get with the fake leather, it is still just plastic and acts like plastic in extreme temperatures!

That's a great idea to look for what the airbag engineers themselves have to say on the subject. I'll see what I can find out about how truly "airbag safe" these covers really can be. I might be leaning towards making my own again now!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to order from ShearComfort. They claim to tear away immediately upon airbag deployment (here's hoping I never need to test that). I ordered covers for both seats and headrests. Hopefully, I can rotate them for even wear (maybe with every tire rotation?).

If anyone is thinking of ordering from ShearComfort, here's a tip to save some money: sign up for their text notifications, then put your items in your shopping cart but don't check out. A few hours later you'll get a coupon code texted to you with a "looks like you left something behind" message. The coupon code was "Shear224U" and it came up as an "abandoned shopping cart recoup" or something like that. I must admit, the extra discount bringing the whole thing to under $700 is what compelled me to pull the trigger. Coincidentally, I was actually out at the car, measuring to make a pattern for seat covers of my own make (I do have an upholstery sewing machine and a fur sewing machine---don't ask, long story). I was doing the math, realizing that pelts would end up costing close to $400 for my design. Chime! goes the phone, with ShearComfort saying to me with their 22% discount: "don't bother lady, we'll do it for you for just a little bit more---isn't your time worth something?" and out came the credit card!

The expected arrival date is May 17th. So, I'll report back here after that to provide a review. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I received the covers from ShearComfort. The quality seems pretty good and they installed easily and seem to fit well. My only complaints are these:
1. they failed to include the free seatbelt covers that were offered as a promo when I ordered the covers
2. they didn't follow my request to make the "breakaway" for airbags on both sides of the cover for both seats. I had requested this velcro flap which opens on airbag deployment be installed on both sides of each cover so that I could rotate the seat covers between the driver and passenger sides for even wear.
3. they send you instructions to cut the top of the seat covers so you can pass the posts for your headrest through. I was in the process of doing just this, but noticed that the pelt seemed very thick there. It was thick because it was actually Velcro, an opening already made! Um..update your instructions before people poke unnecessary holes in their $700 seat covers, please!

These things were little annoyances, but what really made me dissatisfied with the company overall is that I contacted them twice about items 1&2 I was promised a call back within a day but no one ever contacted me. What if I had a real problem with the seat covers? Crickets. Silence. I have since read reviews of ShearComfort and I see this is a pattern with them (no after-sale service whatsoever). I think that when you spend $700 with a company, the least they can do is call you back. Or send you the promised "free" seatbelt covers. Or something other than cashing the check and then ghosting you.

My experience with ShearComfort's lack of after-sale support led my husband to look elsewhere for covers for his FJ Cruiser. We live not too far from this place in Shartlesville, PA, so we stopped in and were able to pick out some really nice sheepskins for covers for his seats. In retrospect, I would be much more likely to recommend the guy at Shartlesville, especially if you are able to visit his shop because he makes the covers right there, so you can walk out to your car together, look at the actual pelts that he'll use, talk about any extras you might want (like an armrest/console cover, etc.) and have it made to order. Service. AND his prices are better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts