Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of trying to make my own, but it would probably be much less hassle to buy them pre-made. So far I have looked at ShearComfort and Covercraft's "custom made" (not universal fit) REAL sheepskin (I am not interested in synthetic) seat covers for both front seats. I realize this could run me around $700+ (ouch) but for a good, quality product I might be enticed to pull the trigger. If I were to make my own, I'd be spending at least $200 just for pelts.

Does anyone have any experience or reviews or feedback or other sources for me to check out? Thanks!

BTW, PETA people need not reply, bashing me for wanting to use real animal pelts. I have been a vegetarian for 36 years, so I think my net impact on the animal population has earned me a sheepskin or two!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought the side airbags are built into the seats, no?
I mean I know that some makers of these covers advertise that their covers are airbag compatible, but you should read some of the postings by airbag engineers regarding airbag stitching on the factory seat bolsters and what additional layers (Like the cover) could do to airbag deployment.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great point about the airbags. If I made my own covers, the design I had in mind would start at the shoulders of the seat (having openings for the headrest posts, and then taper inwards immediately to cover only that center panel in order to leave the airbag pillows uncovered, tucking in at the junction with the seat. Then, I would make a separate cover for the seat itself, which would be covered on the top and drape down the sides. This would keep the seating area (butt) and back on the sheepskin, but leave the sides of the backrest uncovered. I wouldn't know how to make something to breakaway easily or whatever would have to be done to be "airbag safe", so I thought I just wouldn't cover the airbags at all. But, I would hope that a manufacturer who makes these "airbag safe" should know what they're doing (I am naive and trusting, I know...companies get sued all the time for making false safety claims).

I'm not looking for that ultra-plush experience, just a layer of fur/insulation/ventilation between my butt/back and the seat vinyl. I don't care how sophisticated they get with the fake leather, it is still just plastic and acts like plastic in extreme temperatures!

That's a great idea to look for what the airbag engineers themselves have to say on the subject. I'll see what I can find out about how truly "airbag safe" these covers really can be. I might be leaning towards making my own again now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts