Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2016 GLA, the dealer said there was about a 50/50 chance MB might offer a retrofit for Android Car play. I was dubious and figured she might just be trying to sell the car; however, I have heard rumors from other MB owners about retrofits in some cases, so I thought I'd check and see if anyone has heard anything along these lines.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you search (top right box on a computer webpage) on "Apple CarPlay retrofit" you will find a lot of information on your question, quite a few threads. The consensus became GLAs built before 1 December 2015 when CarPlay and Android Auto were first available had to have the full Multimedia Package/Comand system to retrofit, and then the results were questionable. I had a September 2015 build, no Multimedia Package, dealer said an unequivocal no. If you do retrofit, you should know there is a new data cable that must be installed which will require removal of your console and carpet, among other things, with a high potential for collateral damage and/or unintended consequences.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the "multi-media" package but I'd be willing to add it in if Android Auto becomes available. Apple Car Play was available when I purchased the car but Android Auto was not. The dealer didn't mention that the retrofit would likely require the multi-media package. Perhaps if it requires $2000 worth of work I'll see if some kind of repair insurance is available that will cover it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am also interested in an Android Auto retrofit. I can't seem to find a cell phone mount that works well in this car and doesn't block other things.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Cell phone mount via a modified Porsche 997 ProClip lower mount. It's a bit low, but out of the way. When Waze works with the MB the mount can go away.

The cradle includes the charge port so it works great for long (or short) trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a retrofit that is possible! Mine was built before December 2015 but I showed my dealer this: car-play.pdf . There is a place to test if your car is compatible, but I would recommend talking to them to make sure. I had this part installed in my car about 2 months ago and while it gave me Apple CarPlay, I can also see the option for Android Auto. Someone else had it installed for around 200-300$ but I got a bit scammed by my dealer, they did it for $700 including part but it was definitely worth it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts