Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So for I am loving my GLA, just sometime I wish it was a bit less noisy. Any ideas on how the noise level can be fairly easy improved?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have no idea. I really haven't noticed it being loud in the cabin. Now, I am typically playing the stereo or talking to a passenger, so who knows. I expect there's not much you can do. The only thing I can think of is tires. The run flats might be louder because the rubber is harder?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys,

So for I am loving my GLA, just sometime I wish it was a bit less noisy. Any ideas on how the noise level can be fairly easy improved?
I have no idea. I really haven't noticed it being loud in the cabin. Now, I am typically playing the stereo or talking to a passenger, so who knows. I expect there's not much you can do. The only thing I can think of is tires. The run flats might be louder because the rubber is harder?

Interesting how this is all a matter of perspective. :)

Having sold a Nissan 370Z and traded-in a MINI Cooper, the GLA seems dead quiet to me! I could barely use the Bluetooth in the Z, and driving it in rainy weather made it hard to even hear the radio.

An option for quieting down the GLA would be to have Dynamat installed:

Amazon.com: Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9): Automotive

Any high end stereo shop can do it, but it involves removing the interior. That's a little dramatic for me.

The run flats are definitely contributing to the road noise. MINI's had the same problem, and may folks replaced their tires and got a compressor/flat repair kit. That's a little too drastic for me too.

I just crank up the volume. :)

Reactions: Xtheunknown

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you look online, the suspension is noted as having a "Light Truck Suspension". This makes sense since the height of the GLA250 qualifies it a "truck", and is marketed as such. But wasn't the chassis originally designed for a hatchback?

Interestingly, I have yet the read/hear noise complaints from GLA45 reviews. And yes, I know the AMG system is louder but you can't be at WOT all the time...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Run Flats are noisy Scheiße. Switching to an all-season Continental (without run-flat) can ameliorate some road noise.
Everyone Hates Run-Flat Tires

My GLA was so quiet it bored me to death. Intake and muffler-delete remedied that issue.

Of course, Perception is the real author here.

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is anyone having wind buffeting issues with the passenger window rolled down? When my wife rolled down her window the other day and I had to crack mine to stop the buffeting.

Doesn't happen with just the driver window down...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is anyone having wind buffeting issues with the passenger window rolled down? When my wife rolled down her window the other day and I had to crack mine to stop the buffeting.

Doesn't happen with just the driver window down...

Happens with the two rear windows rolled down all the way at highway speeds. Not uncommon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To bring a little science to this. You can download a sound meter app to your smart phone.

1992 Firebird T tops bubbled from sun and virtually un-obstructed wind noise 70 decibels. I could never talk on the phone in this car or stay dry in the car wash.

2003 Infiniti G35 sedan sport package 70 decibels. For some reason I could easily talk on the phone in this car. I was shocked these two cars had the same reading.

2015 GLA 250matic sport package 80 decibels. This was measured with the phone resting in the large cup holder and driving into a 35 mph wind. I am sure the other cars I was holding the phone. I will try that on my way home tonight there is no wind. I can talk on the phone in this car. Maybe it was rattling around in there. Also same app but 2 different phones.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
To bring a little science to this. You can download a sound meter app to your smart phone.

1992 Firebird T tops bubbled from sun and virtually un-obstructed wind noise 70 decibels. I could never talk on the phone in this car or stay dry in the car wash.

2003 Infiniti G35 sedan sport package 70 decibels. For some reason I could easily talk on the phone in this car. I was shocked these two cars had the same reading.

2015 GLA 250matic sport package 80 decibels. This was measured with the phone resting in the large cup holder and driving into a 35 mph wind. I am sure the other cars I was holding the phone. I will try that on my way home tonight there is no wind. I can talk on the phone in this car. Maybe it was rattling around in there. Also same app but 2 different phones.
Actual decibel measurements... This forum makes me proud :D

Would love to see your follow-up! My GLA just doesn't seem that loud to me. Even with my intake and muffler delete, I still talk on my bluetooth without issue.

Don't place it in the cup holder, that hard plastic is going to resonate like crazy.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
True you can have the same decibel level in two different ambient noise situations. The difference is likely frequency. That is what you are missing with the sound level meter app. If the ambient sound frequency is in the same range as the voice frequency you're listening too it is more distracting. If ambient frequency is higher or lower, not so much. That's why noise cancellation works, it plays back same frequency as ambient noise, except 180 degrees out of phase.

Reactions: wramir01

·
Registered
79 Posts
Holding the phone calm weather just before sunrise. Measured db 78 at 83 mph. All my other measurements where at the 68 to 78 mph speed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My readings pretty much match Tim's. Mid-70's while driving in traffic. High 70's (topping out at 80) on the freeway @ ~75 mph. When I was on newer asphalt the reading was actually between 68 and 73 db. Transitioning to older cement roads drove the ambient noise significantly higher. As Boris_Balkan points out I attribute most of this noise due to the tires on the vehicle.

Now that said, I really have not had much of an issue with the noise. Even using the phone via Bluetooth hasn't been an issue. But, in all fairness, I also own a Jeep Wrangler and that thing is probably about 100db all the time so this car seems really quiet in comparison... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone.

I also went ahead and took some readings and at 75 - 80 MPH I am about 80dB, which is pretty much in line with what everyone else is seeing. Noticed though that different apps give different readings and my iPhone is not a calibrated test instrument but should be close enough.

I will try to get reading I'm different vehicles to compare.

·
Registered
122 Posts
... Transitioning to older cement roads drove the ambient noise significantly higher. As Boris_Balkan points out I attribute most of this noise due to the tires on the vehicle.
Yeah. At least for me, the road noise is the predominant factor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts