Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the USA 2016 GLA250 will get Android Auto compatibility without the smartphone integration option? I understand that it's required for Apple Carplay. I also know from the 2016 Ford Sync 3 system that Carplay requires a hardware change (supposedly a different "certified" USB port) and a software update while Android Auto simply requires a software update to become functional once released. I'm hoping it's something similar for the GLA.

Anyway, I don't have the tech package or the smartphone integration option, but would love to have Android Auto capability. On a similar note does anyone know what is required to add the smartphone integration option after the fact?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
The 2017 DOG states Android Auto as a part of the Multi Media Package. Pam's Order Sheet indicates Android Auto. The dealer seems to be in the dark. The salesman says MB tends to keep quiet on the new coming models to avoid losing enthusiasm on current models.

Phone integration is important, make that critical, for Pam. I'm hoping there isn't a problem here!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
The dealer reassures me that Android Auto will be included in ALL 2017s ordered with it. It is specifically listed in all 7 revisions of the Dealer Order Guide.

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
Apple Car Play doesn't seem to retrofit. While I don't know for sure fir Android Auto, I suspect that you either get the feature as a part of the original purchase or plan to live without it. I would not count on adding it later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
AFAIK it requires you to buy command online package in Europe. Not sure for usa .
I decided not to buy it but will retrofit buying command online from the market.i know a guy who can enable the activation of the hardware exclusively from Daimler at Stuttgart, for half price.

Currently if you buy a new gla command online is about 4k dollars.

Even double if you want to purchase after through dealer service.

__☆______☆_______☆_______☆__
Sent by Note 4, sponsored by Prandelli.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Wayne, you just crushed any hope I had of Apple CarPlay being retro-installed on my GLA. But thanks...that answers the question once and for all.

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
NHTSA is heavily involved with Apple Car Play and Android Auto. They want to limit Apps and insure the phone is docked, preferably out of sight and reach. They don't care to have us holding a phone while driving, typing texts, watching videos, etc. With an interest of keeping our hands off of the phone, we won't be seeing a WiFi interface anytime soon.

So, as I understand it, the interface goes beyond just a software update. You also need hard wiring and docking. That doesn't mean you couldn't retrofit something. It just means that MB has very little incentive to help you out.

FWIW, Google has offices within NHTSA to facilitate development of their self driving car. That should give them an advantage to adding to their phone interface platform. Just saying this as an Android user, and admitting some personal bias.

Mirror Link is politically motivated (thus no Waze). I hope Android Auto avoids this conflict, but time will tell. From what I've read, it is looking positive.

The biggest problem is revolving around who owns the content. The suppliers want to know where we've been and who we've shopped with. The manufacturers want the same. I'm not sure what the arrangements are with MB regarding Apple or Android, but at least they've come to terms. BMW and Porsche still appear to be at odds, at least with Android.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great news. I received an email from my local dealer offering to add the smartphone integration package to my 2016 GLA250 for $230. I contacted my service person and he stated that this is a legit email and they can now add it in under an hour. I had asked him less than a month ago and he said it wasn't possible unless I had the comand system. For reference, it's a January 2016 build date vehicle. I have the basic audio 20 system without any added options to it. I'll report back after installation (I actually think it's purely a software update).

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh, that is great news if it works out for you! Let us know how it goes. Like you, I had asked my dealer a couple months ago about adding the smartphone package to an audio 20 system and was told it wasn't possible. Would be great if they have a solution now!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm curious as to "what" this will add, I have Andriod phones but unsure what extra this is, and more importantly "do I realy need it?"

Thanks for the info though and looking forwards to you udate Jeff

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still don't have the vehicle back, as they are diagnosing the intermittent start/stop function issue I've been experiencing. The same service guy I asked last time about adding android auto confirmed that they were told in a meeting that they can now add the CarPlay/Android Auto to my vehicle. I have a 2017 loaner right now equipped quite similarly to my 2016 but has with the smartphone integration package. I really enjoy Android Auto. It makes me wish the screen was touch sensitive though. It definitely antiquates the Garmin Map Pilot. Hopefully, I'll be able to report back positive news soon.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
We have Android Auto, but don't use it. Once Waze is compatible (not sure when that will happen) then we will. I don't see a lot of other interface that interests me. YMMV.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Waze integration would be awesome. I initially played with Android Auto but didn't like it took over the phone when you connected. I probably need to give it a chance and examine the feature set. I don't know what I was expecting but it didn't floor me with ease of use or must have features. Admittedly didn't put much time in so grain of salt.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great news. I received an email from my local dealer offering to add the smartphone integration package to my 2016 GLA250 for $230. I contacted my service person and he stated that this is a legit email and they can now add it in under an hour. I had asked him less than a month ago and he said it wasn't possible unless I had the comand system. For reference, it's a January 2016 build date vehicle. I have the basic audio 20 system without any added options to it. I'll report back after installation (I actually think it's purely a software update).

Who is your dealer, and do they have this listed on their website? My dealer is still clueless and claims I need to have the Multimedia Package installed in order for this to work. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the dealer called back today and it turns out they were misled by Mercedes. They've gone back to the stance that they cannot add the smartphone integration package without the comand system. I'm pretty disappointed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts